Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tay

Is there any room for them to add a play area for the little ones in the future? That seems to be one the biggest complaints of the land. I really don’t get why they left it out especially with both the new rides having a height restriction.

wdwjmp239

It's been a couple of days since I returned from a Disney trip to see what all the hoopla was about with Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios and I have to say that the only thing holding that land together is the Slinky Dog Dash ride.

My family and I arrived early Monday morning (July 16th) to a near empty Hollywood Studios parking lot (or what seemed to be empty upon arrival). only to find out that there were cars already in the parking lot and buses were pulling in dropping off eagerly waiting guests to see what the new land had to offer. Based on the expectations formed while watching "The Tim Tracker" review/recap videos of Toy Story Land, we wanted to check out the Slinky Dog ride and this ride did not fail to meet every expectation we had. We had about a 35 minute wait standing in line, the theming of the ride was great. It's set to be a roller coaster kit that Andy assembled, you'll see the box the kit came in, the instructions (including how many of each part went into putting the roller coaster track together), as well as blocks, coloring books, etc. Very cleverly done. We got on the ride (each car seats 2 guests) and off we went. Pretty smooth ride up until the launch area where the train stops and it sounds like ride is revving up. The climb after the launch was pretty intense (felt like it was going to do a rollback about halfway up - which would've been cool), but that climb and then the downhill going into the bumps was great. I don't remember laughing so hard on a ride. The end of the ride brought us back to the station and off we went. I had made social media posts on Facebook about the ride and when asked, "How intense is it?" I answered, "The intensity is a little more than Goofy's Barnstormer, but less intense than Big Thunder Railroad." All in all - it's just a fun ride (and this is coming from the guy who hates roller coasters, but yet will ride Expedition Everest all day....go figure that out). ;)

I wasn't a fan of the Alien Saucer Spin ride. There was something about that ride that just said, "Boring!", but I went on for my kids. My son (who's six years old) kind of got the same impression, but my daughter (who's eight years old) seemed to enjoy it. It was just one of those rides where if you've been on the Tea Cup ride at Magic Kingdom and other rides of that nature, you're really not missing anything. Then, Toy Story Mania...other than the entrance moving off of the old Pixar Place area (which is now a backstage area for Hollywood Studios cast members), this pretty much remained the same.

How much time did we spend in this area of Hollywood? About 2 hours I would estimate. After we walked out of Toy Story Land, the family agreement was Slinky Dog Dash rocks! The Alien Saucer Spin seemed like an afterthought by Disney Imagineers to "fill in all available space" in the land. Toy Story Mania is still fun. The truth of the matter is, the only thing that would draw us to this side of the park again is the Slinky Dog Ride.

Now would we trip over ourselves to be at Hollywood Studios early when the Star Wars part of the park opens next year? As we're not real Star Wars fans, we'll just hit that snooze button a few times and go back to sleep. Zzzzzzzz...

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

5DDBD1C5-91B4-410B-BE0A-7867805610BE.jpeg

flyerjab

I’ll just keep this simple. This land is great and a lot of fun. We were there for about 3 hours today and did everything as there are enough things for everyone in my immediate family to enjoy. We did Alien Swirling Sauces as a FP and standby for SDD. We ate at Woody’s Lunchbox and everyone enjoyed what they got. For my part, I can only say have the totchos...they are really that good! We then did TSM and also watched the Green Army Men perform. I never realized how much this park needed an entirely family friendly area like this. I was surprised how good everything was. And SDD is the highlight. Such a fun experience.

The lack of shade though is rough, as well as a need for more tables for eating. Other than that though, this land is great!

higgipoker

Just back from a 2 week vacation. We loved Toy Story Land but spent a very limited amount of time there due to line length and lack of FP+ availability.

We got FP+ for the 2 new attractions a long way out and loved Slinky Dog. I thought the Alien Saucers were a terrible bore but my better half enjoyed the ride a bit more. Toy Story Mania remains one of my 3 fav attractions across all the parks. Simply brilliant.

We are both plant-based only when it comes to food so were delighted to hear the quick service counter had a non-dairy grilled cheese sandwich. It did not disappoint. We returned 2 or 3 times just for the food without riding any of the attractions :)

Had we been able to get more FP+ or had the line been less than an hour, we'd definitely have ridden Slinky Dog several more times. Great ride and more exciting than it looks, we just don't do such long waits! Saucers not worth a second ride at all for me.

Toy Story Mania is a "must do" and I couldn't get enough of the sammiches :)

phillip9698

For evidence, look at Pandora, which has been very, very warmly received despite its 1.5 rides and the lack of immersive shopping or atmospheric entertainment. Or look at Carsland - the reaction might have been very slightly more subdued without the flat rides, but it would still be considered a masterpiece.

Funny thing is, the reaction to Pandora is one of the reasons I feel this way. There was so much vitriol towards that area here when it was revealed that there were only 2 rides and one was a C ticket. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the general guest, I'm talking about the Disney fanatic which is what this area of the site is mostly made of. There was just so much unwarranted hate thrown at Pandora for months.

Animaniac93-98

I just noticed on the new marquee it no longer says "Toy Story Midway Mania" just "Toy Story Mania".

Has the old name been erased from the ride completely? I thought it was the one WDI wanted?

HMF

I just noticed on the new marquee it no longer says "Toy Story Midway Mania" just "Toy Story Mania".

Has the old name been erased from the ride completely? I thought it was the one WDI wanted?
Sadly marketing almost always gets their way over WDI. Heck, As far as Chapek is concerned they are more important than WDI.

Sky

I was holding out hope that after a solid month of Instagrammers and Park Blogs/Press taking shots of the land, they’d let Disney Horticulture come in and find space for three or four more mature oaks but alas that hope is dwindling. I know there are always slight revisions/tweaks to new lands after the first couple months (nothing drastic) after reading Guest Service surveys, but have we seen any tweaks other than the flimsy fencing being reinforced?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The backstory for the ride was that Andy got a "Midway Games (Play Set)"... which has a "Toy Story" sticker on it?

1532999415394.png

1532999444744.png

But the ride is called "Toy Story Mania"...

1533001346328.png

Even though it used to be called Toy Story Midway Mania...

1533001393094.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom