Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Uncle Lupe

I hope they keep the trench for the coaster track as it is on the artwork. All the rock work will help with the backyard look and keep the coaster from dominating views elsewhere.
If the coaster does go over the walkway it will have a big impact on the kinetic feel of the land. As long as no safety crap gets in the way.

disneyboy5

Has any one thought that maybe the entrance to the land will be where the entrance to backlot tour used to be. I haven't checked how much land that takes up but if they flip the picture they gave us it might fight.This also gives them the opportunity to build a new queue for TSMM without delay.

peter11435

Has any one thought that maybe the entrance to the land will be where the entrance to backlot tour used to be. I haven't checked how much land that takes up but if they flip the picture they gave us it might fight.This also gives them the opportunity to build a new queue for TSMM without delay.
The entrance to the land will be where Captain Jack and One Mans Dream were. expect those buildings to be demolished.

Daveeeeed

The entrance to the land will be where Captain Jack and One Mans Dream were. expect those buildings to be demolished.
I think once a further phase is complete; you will be able to enter from One Man's Dream, AND the backlot tour. That is why I think they are not done you can clearly see any split in the path at the top left.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Perhaps not, but those trenches will not be dug but rather the ground built up around them. There might be a fair amount of work that is similar to rockwork.
Agreed. TSL has an advantage. And ironically LARGE advantage (see my joke :D instead of tiny toys) basicly the execs wanted to make a better land than tspl, so we get this. They also wanted to make it larger and a better theme, so we got this. My point is though: an ip like cars or even Monsters Inc. is going to require a LOT of detail to not make it look cheap. Andy's backyard on the other hand not so much. The trenches will not look as good as rock work, but that is not what they're going for. They are going for a cheap alternative to another "fancier" ip from Pixar using the existing tsmm while making you feel like you are the size of a toy, but the toy story property works especially well as a cheaper, but good themed land, because if cars were to be like this it would be bad themed, but toy story? See what I mean. This land was never meant to be Avatarland scale, it was just meant as Andy's Backyard, and nothing more. A cheaper than most well themed toy story land will probably fit nicely, and not look cheap at all in real when if it stays true to the concept art, ans if this would have been cars land except rethemed to cars instead of toy story it would have not felt nicely themed, but the toy story alone will make it not feel so cheap. Either way this is not even close to as cheap as it could have been, so I am honestly happy paired with Star Wars, and other things.

Last edited:

DoTheImpossible

While I'm excited for the whole immersive land direction this park is taking I could do without such a large Toy Story expansion. Although I will say the Slinky Coaster looks kind of legit. My only fear is the land will look like a giant TSMM queue. If we get two more Pixar land announcments, Monsters and Cars (two IPs @WDW1974 said would be coming in addition to Star Wars way back when he posted about a large DHS expansion), then I'll be happy. Oh and a GOTG one-off. But I delve into armchair imagineering at this point.

Sped2424

I hope they keep the trench for the coaster track as it is on the artwork. All the rock work will help with the backyard look and keep the coaster from dominating views elsewhere.
If the coaster does go over the walkway it will have a big impact on the kinetic feel of the land. As long as no safety crap gets in the way.
A trench in florida weather concerns me. I hope they got a drain system going on lol

Sped2424

This is some value engineering. A roller coaster when it is dry and a water flume-splash ride during the rain! Two rides for the price of one!
LOL now that is a concept. They flip a little switch and the sign goes from Slinky Dog coaster to Slinky dog's slip n slide.

SirLink

6-7 years, that's an exaggeration. But 18 months because, there is not extensive rockwork, most of the props have been made at other parks in the past, the roller coaster is not overly complex and the Alien ride has been done before but now with different ride vehicles. The most time consuming part of this land will be the ride vehicles for the coaster, the Alien ride and all the paint work. When you think of the time it took New Fantasy land think more about the Circus area. Also, who's to say they haven't already started building the props and rides off site, my guess is they've known they were doing this since they announced the 3rd track and probably well before. A few higher up visited this area, what was it almost 2 years ago now. They are going to demolish this area and just start dropping stuff in.

They first have to relocate the Backlot Tour stuff that is used for WDW, such as Costuming and Prop barns. After they have rebuilt those somewhere else - LMA should close along with SoA so they can demo at the same time .... Worst case scenario it takes 12 month to relocate facilities and 24 months construction to 6 month to relocate facilities and 12 month construction.

Disneyhead'71

They first have to relocate the Backlot Tour stuff that is used for WDW, such as Costuming and Prop barns. After they have rebuilt those somewhere else - LMA should close along with SoA so they can demo at the same time .... Worst case scenario it takes 12 month to relocate facilities and 24 months construction to 6 month to relocate facilities and 12 month construction.
You got the first 2 backwards. First build new facilities, then relocate the stuff. Then demolition. Then soil prep. Then ground breaking. After hearing all that's involved, 2-2.5 years makes sense.

doctornick

6-7 years, that's an exaggeration. But 18 months because, there is not extensive rockwork, most of the props have been made at other parks in the past, the roller coaster is not overly complex and the Alien ride has been done before but now with different ride vehicles. The most time consuming part of this land will be the ride vehicles for the coaster, the Alien ride and all the paint work. When you think of the time it took New Fantasy land think more about the Circus area. Also, who's to say they haven't already started building the props and rides off site, my guess is they've known they were doing this since they announced the 3rd track and probably well before. A few higher up visited this area, what was it almost 2 years ago now. They are going to demolish this area and just start dropping stuff in.

This. TSL is not a complex build and it's possible/likely that work on materials has already begun off site. TSMM is already build, the Aliens ride is a relatively simple flat ride that just needs to be installed, the shops/food/M&Gs are just plain buildings. The only thing remotely more complex is the roller coaster but even that is a matter of just building the ride path and installing it on site -- plenty of much larger, more complex coasters get assembled in total in the winter season of regional amusement parks. Disney could easily build this on an 18 month timeframe, even with their bloated build times, if they were inspired -- which they should be given the state of attractions at DHS.

I actually think the longer part of the assembly will be the demo of the existing building; hopefully they've already started to relocate the services inside. Once the land is clear, work will be done quickly.

doctornick

I don't think they will need to demo LMA or an of SoA to build this. In fact, I think they will try to keep those areas open until this is done to provide attraction capacity.

Disneyhead'71

This. TSL is not a complex build and it's possible/likely that work on materials has already begun off site. TSMM is already build, the Aliens ride is a relatively simple flat ride that just needs to be installed, the shops/food/M&Gs are just plain buildings. The only thing remotely more complex is the roller coaster but even that is a matter of just building the ride path and installing it on site -- plenty of much larger, more complex coasters get assembled in total in the winter season of regional amusement parks. Disney could easily build this on an 18 month timeframe, even with their bloated build times, if they were inspired -- which they should be given the state of attractions at DHS.

I actually think the longer part of the assembly will be the demo of the existing building; hopefully they've already started to relocate the services inside. Once the land is clear, work will be done quickly.
They haven't even built the facilities they will be moving the stuff into yet.

CrescentLake

Has anybody been to Disneyland Paris? The RC Racer would be a great addition here I think!

I recently visited Disneyland Paris. Didn't ride RC Racer, but it looked like fun. My only issue with it is that it could be seen and heard from everywhere in the park. Honestly though, I didn't think that Toy Story Playland was that bad once I saw it in person. But then again, I went in with low expectations for it and for Disney Studios in general. (I was pleasantly surprised for both!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom