Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bartattack

To put this in perspective, the original Paris version was announced late 2009 and completed August 2010. I know ours is bigger and probably better, but still...

hmmm... that's a bit optimistic. They were already starting construction in april 2009....and it opened in august 2010.
And it's about 3 acres.... and they didn't have any money :)

NormC

Does anyone have some cheese?
DSC_0200.jpg

Jon81uk

But once they are emptied, they will come down quick. Some of the buildings back there are nothing but trailers.

It's the once they are emptied part that is tough. Isn't costuming still very active (despite the backlot tour closing a year ago giving plenty of time to move it out!!). Once that is relocated then yes it could go ahead, but I guess six months until buildings are even empty

chiefs11

It's the once they are emptied part that is tough. Isn't costuming still very active (despite the backlot tour closing a year ago giving plenty of time to move it out!!). Once that is relocated then yes it could go ahead, but I guess six months until buildings are even empty
So I imagine new facilities have to be built first, before these can be demolished. That's gonna mean at least 6 months or more before any real work gets started here, isn't it?

chiefs11

Regarding the "is this and starwars all there is" questions, I think the best indication that there is more coming is in the concept art. It clearly shows an exit at what would be the south end of the land... It has to go somewhere. I suppose it could just go to LMA, but I'm pretty sure LMA won't be around anymore. Especially since this will be using the land where the practice area is.

Incomudro

I can not agree with this more... My youngest who is 7 when he saw the art for this land went crazy and said how cool it was. Then he went and got all his green army men and set up a huge battle in our front hallway but this time he build a rollercoaster through it and was using his nerf gun to take out the little green men.

This land serves a huge purpose in this park and that is to give families a place to go and have something to do as Sunset Blvd is a no go if your kids are under 7 due to height restrictions. It gives the park much needed family friendly rides that this park needs bad.

It also gives a huge new property that just gives all of us something more to do and no it may not be what you want to do but I can assure you those kids that grew up on the Toy Story movies will want to experience it because to them this was their Mickey Mouse it was the movie of a generation... So you have that playing with future guest as well. Especially as they continue to get older and have kids on their own.

I think too many posters on these boards sometimes forget that WDW devotes a large portion of its marketing to children and the parents of children.
If you've grown old and crotchety, and forgotten the joy of what WDW was when you were a kid - or are no longer making memories at the parks with kids of your own - perhaps a stay at Disney Springs is more your speed.
See?
There's something for everyone

DisneyRoy

Regarding the "is this and starwars all there is" questions, I think the best indication that there is more coming is in the concept art. It clearly shows an exit at what would be the south end of the land... It has to go somewhere. I suppose it could just go to LMA, but I'm pretty sure LMA won't be around anymore. Especially since this will be using the land where the practice area is.

I would like to think you are right. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

That's assuming they have waited until now to start the relocation process. They may have already been preparing the new locations.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Again, it's only somewhat garish in WDS (which is the version everyone keeps using to back up their disgust). In HKDL I'd call it pleasant, but with a continued poor mix of rides. This is another step up again - in both departments.

^^ This!

I was pretty down on this area a few months ago... After some exposure to it, it will be a brilliant execution of the concept. The previous attempts will pale in comparison. It will of course need to be seen through a child's eyes rather than the cynical eyes of a bitter adult.

Well stated Brian>>

*1023*

Disneyhead'71

I think too many posters on these boards sometimes forget that WDW devotes a large portion of its marketing to children and the parents of children.
If you've grown old and crotchety, and forgotten the joy of what WDW was when you were a kid - or are no longer making memories at the parks with kids of your own - perhaps a stay at Disney Springs is more your speed.
See?
There's something for everyone
Or maybe go someplace aimed at the demo you ARE in. My girls are teenagers. I'm in my 50s. The last attraction Disney built aimed at us was Everest, 9 years ago. TSL isn't aged at us. Avatar will get a visit from us in 2 years.

Bairstow

I think the one detail that bothers me most in the concept art is the gigantic Buzz Lightyear statue. It just seems so cheap and lazy.
Maybe someone has a better memory than me, but doesn't Disney have a general design convention against having larger-than-life static representation of their characters in the parks?
Topiaries excluded, of course.

dlp009526LARGE.jpg

4855474756_df87a75cd3_b.jpg

DinoInstitute

I think the one detail that bothers me most in the concept art is the gigantic Buzz Lightyear statue. It just seems so cheap and lazy.
Maybe someone has a better memory than me, but doesn't Disney have a general design convention against having larger-than-life static representation of their characters in the parks?

dlp009526LARGE.jpg

But we're smaller than life, so it works! :D

danlb_2000

Premium Member

dlp009526LARGE.jpg

I was just reading the section of John Hench's book about doing the statues for Pop Century and how much of a challenge it is to make these look good. It's not a simple matter of taking a small version and just scaling it up. When it's this large people see if from angles that they would not see a smaller version from and the affects how it is designed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom