Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

G00fyDad

im going with what Robert Niles said
Pandora 2017
Toy Story 2018
Cars or whatever 2019
Star Wars 2020
2021 and beyond hello EPCOT and Tomorrow Land

Pandora 2017 - That is if Cameron and DIsney can keep with the current build rate.
Toy Story 2018 - Why would it take 2.5 to 3 years to get this done? 1.5 years imo.
Cars or whatever 2019 - I cannot see this coming to FL. Especially since Cars 3 is likely to be as bad as Cars 2.
Star Wars 2020 - Maybe. I'd put this more toward late 2021.
2021 and beyond hello EPCOT and Tomorrow Land - Here's hoping! I'd like to see this start well before 2017.

twebber55

Pandora 2017 - That is if Cameron and DIsney can keep with the current build rate.
Toy Story 2018 - Why would it take 2.5 to 3 years to get this done? 1.5 years imo.
Cars or whatever 2019 - I cannot see this coming to FL. Especially since Cars 3 is likely to be as bad as Cars 2.
2021 and beyond hello EPCOT and Tomorrow Land - Here's hoping! I'd like to see this start well before 2017.
TSL because theres lots of demo and clearing and reshuffling of the park and they re probably thinking because Pandora opens in 2017, which it will
never said it would be Cars but i do expect something else besides whats announced
Star Wars you may be right on that one its too far out to know, once construction starts we will have a better idea

djkidkaz

Toy Story Land is essentially the same size as New Fantasyland I believe someone said and that took what? 3 years?

Martin is insinuating that Carsland is the front runner at the moment to fill the LMA / SOA space at Studios.

And don't forget about the Rivers of Light / Night safari at AK for 2016

ctrlaltdel

Why there even had to be a rotation is beyond me but at least we have things to look forward to now.
Well there's not unlimited money to spend. I know Disney has an ungodly amount but building big, new stuff costs them billions. Now that Shanghai is done (and is hopefully successful, for WDW's sake), that frees up a lot of the budget for new stuff.

Mike S

Well there's not unlimited money to spend. I know Disney has an ungodly amount but building big, new stuff costs them billions. Now that Shanghai is done (and is hopefully successful, for WDW's sake), that frees up a lot of the budget for new stuff.
Didn't stop them when DLRP was getting built. Why's Shanghai different?

ctrlaltdel

Didn't stop them when DLRP was getting built. Why's Shanghai different?
Mitigating risk, most likely. I think the company's priorities are just different. EuroDisney obviously made them a little bit gun shy about too aggressively expanding their theme park business. Obviously, that's what a lot of people here don't like. I don't disagree with them, but this is a business we're talking about. But the money is finally there now for WDW which I know everyone agrees will improve the parks.

P_Radden

IMO If they do go with a Cars Land (even if its smaller than DCA's), I would love to see it done completely indoors in one huge air-conditioned structure possible themed as a night time Radiator Springs. Not sure if that's possible, but I would love to see it happen. Plus it would be the main factor to differentiate it from Cars Land in DCA

lazyboy97o

As this has a full themed custom Slinky Dog coaster in it. As well as a new green alien ride which looks like it is based on Maters junkyard jamboree which is a custom Disney Imagineering idea.
At Paris and HK the Playland contains themed off the shelf rides.

Therefore Toy StoryLand at DHS should be better than the other TS PlayLands as it contains custom rides designed specifically for that park.
The rides don't change how the rest o the land works and in the world of customized rides a new flat ride and a coaster are the bottom rung of customization.

I don't know how many times I have come home from work to find (wooden in this case) train tracks up and down and all over the hall and entry way. They're older now and don't do this anymore but the train table was never enough. They wanted it to go everywhere. This is what kids do. Is it easy theming, yes, can you throw almost any "decoration" in it, yes. But is it on point to a child's imagination and how they play? Now the kids will get to experience from the toys point of view of what they built. I personally think this area is over kill with Toy Story and really want to see more Pixar movies represented but I do think kids are going to Love this area. I'm not going to slam Imagineering for understanding how a kids imagination works. You are correct, it is a roller coaster themed to a roller coaster that you get to ride but on a slinky dog. The kids get to ride something that in their imagination they always wanted to ride after they built it but couldn't because they were not a toy.
Understand is not synonymous with compelling. Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama is a masterful understanding of the development and operation of a tourist trap, but that doesn't make it compelling. This whole "unique" being small thing has been done several times before by Disney, including at Walt Disney World. Why should the third repeat of the latest attempt suddenly become something different? This very concept already exists at the park.

This land serves a huge purpose in this park and that is to give families a place to go and have something to do as Sunset Blvd is a no go if your kids are under 7 due to height restrictions. It gives the park much needed family friendly rides that this park needs bad.
Totally agree as well. I have 4 kids. 3 girls are 16, 13, and 7. One son is 5. My 7 yr old and 5 yr old have much less to do at DHS. It's hard in their head to grasp why we probably just don't go to MK for all 10 days of our next trip. lol. This area will be great for families with little kids and Dads like me who just really likes Toy Story. :D
So yes, it is not targeted to all but probably targets more than something like Tower or Terror (one of my favorite rides)
These rides are going to have a height requirement in the same range as the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Star Tours. If the rest of the park is lacking in offerings for the kids so will this land.

It also gives a huge new property that just gives all of us something more to do and no it may not be what you want to do but I can assure you those kids that grew up on the Toy Story movies will want to experience it because to them this was their Mickey Mouse it was the movie of a generation... So you have that playing with future guest as well. Especially as they continue to get older and have kids on their own.
Those kids are in their mid-to-late 20s now, who are supposedly not the prime demographic.

Taking a closer look at the images of the proposed coaster, it's more themed than I thought.
It appears that a large portion of it lies in a trench that Andy dug.
So the coasters of Alton Towers are now master works of theming? They're trenches, nothing unique for a coaster that is staying close to the ground but has relatively flat terrain.

Shanghai Disney Resort is not being paid for in whole by Disney. That Resort will continue to exist at need its own focus and resources. This idea of a rotation doesn't make any sense.

doctornick

These rides are going to have a height requirement in the same range as the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Star Tours. If the rest of the park is lacking in offerings for the kids so will this land.

I'm expecting the Slinky Dog coaster to be more like 38" like 7DMT (maybe 40" if it is a bit more thrilling). The Aliens ride should have one at 32" which is what Mater's is. That should make this area more accessible to younger children, albeit not hand help infants. They will surely be M&Gs in the area as well.

lazyboy97o

I'm expecting the Slinky Dog coaster to be more like 38" like 7DMT (maybe 40" if it is a bit more thrilling). The Aliens ride should have one at 32" which is what Mater's is. That should make this area more accessible to younger children, albeit not hand help infants. They will surely be M&Gs in the area as well.
That's an extra flat ride, not much to help fill out a day. There is also any fears caused by the apparent speed of the launch. The park is dominated by rides with heigh restrictions and that will not be helped by either announced addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom