Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jon81uk

@lazyboy97o I can't be bothered to quote the right bits of your post but in terms of the height restrictions I think green men will be same as Maters Junkyard Jamboree which is 32" and Slinky Dog would be about same as barnstormer or seven dwarves which are 35" & 38" restrictions. That means 2 year olds can ride saucers and 3 year olds the coaster. That seems okay to me for an age range!

lazyboy97o

@lazyboy97o I can't be bothered to quote the right bits of your post but in terms of the height restrictions I think green men will be same as Maters Junkyard Jamboree which is 32" and Slinky Dog would be about same as barnstormer or seven dwarves which are 35" & 38" restrictions. That means 2 year olds can ride saucers and 3 year olds the coaster. That seems okay to me for an age range!
There is no way the height limit will match a roller skater. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train barely moves. Even if it did someone get that low, it is still only two rides.

Jon81uk

There is no way the height limit will match a roller skater. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train barely moves. Even if it did someone get that low, it is still only two rides.

Does it really matter though? If you have kids under 4 years old then spend the majority of your time at the Magic Kingdom and problem is solved. Take half a day at DHS and do Great Movie Ride, Mermaid show, Disney Junior and Beauty & Beast (maybe Indiana Jones and car stunt show) plus the meet & greats. Adults only have three more attractions currently with Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller and Star Tours.

Mouse_Trap

Disney has taken 3 to 4 years on each of the recent big lands from ground breaking to completion . Carsland -3, NFL - 4 and Pandora projected to be 3. If they start on this by Jan 2016 I'm guessing 2019 unless they rush it. 2021 seems way to long to drag it out. They don't need to so any crazy rock work etc. So this land should be on the shorter end of the time table.

Assuming they start soon. Avatar announcement was made in September 2011, yet we didn't see ground-breaking until January 2014. We won't see it opening until mid-2017 at least.

Agreed. We haven't seen anywhere near $2.8B amount of stuff announced for DHS, even accounting for a chunk of that going to infrastructure.

Agreed, I don't see this costing as much as $60m, and if any more they're completely overpaying.
The question is, where is the rest being spend. I haven't yet gotten through all the Star Wars stuff to see an estimate there. But even if it was $1bn (and I doubt that, based on the headline announcements) there a huge hole.

and Disney Springs 2016

ya it wasn't too long ago most of us here including me were complaining about Disney not building anything haha (just wish it were to be built quicker)

I would still argue that what they're doing still isn't near enough for the entirety of WDW.
To get a new E ticket every other year shouldn't be taxing between the 4 parks. Yet we haven't have one E-ticket for 10 years, and there's no more than 1 in the plans for the next 6 years.

Mawg

You've made some good arguments on why you think this land is a bad idea. And, I don't completely disagree with you as I would have rather seen other Pixar movies more represented in this area and beyond...so much to choose from. But, I would like to ask you to take the other side of the argument and explain why you think Disney actually decided on this besides the easy answer that Disney is cheap or dumb, I mean they are working with a 2.8 bil dollar budget here so why do you think they choose this?

Disneyhead'71

You've made some good arguments on why you think this land is a bad idea. And, I don't completely disagree with you as I would have rather seen other Pixar movies more represented in this area and beyond...so much to choose from. But, I would like to ask you to take the other side of the argument and explain why you think Disney actually decided on this besides the easy answer that Disney is cheap or dumb, I mean they are working with a 2.8 bil dollar budget here so why do you think they choose this?
My answer is quick and cheap.

ctrlaltdel

I would still argue that what they're doing still isn't near enough for the entirety of WDW.
To get a new E ticket every other year shouldn't be taxing between the 4 parks. Yet we haven't have one E-ticket for 10 years, and there's no more than 1 in the plans for the next 6 years.
There's definitely more than one E-ticket coming. SWL will have at least one as well as Pandora. That's only 2 in concrete plans, but I'd be very surpised if DHS didn't get at least 1 more, plus there's a possible Frontierland expansion that could deliver another. There's a lot of stuff in the pipeline.

doctornick

Do any of you think we could maybe see some sort of show in the Woodys Roundup area similar to the one that was in DL's Fronteirland a while back?

Probably a M&G or maybe a show. To be honest, it looks like there might be a building behind the "sheriff" door, which could be a M&G leaving the "hotel" door to be something different (though it could just be an entrance or exit).

I was thinking, however, that it would have been awesome if they put in a Fantasyland-style dark ride for Woody's roundup in that spot. Just a simple indoors non-height restricted ride to increase the offerings at DHS would be nice.

doctornick

There's definitely more than one E-ticket coming. SWL will have at least one as well as Pandora. That's only 2 in concrete plans, but I'd be very surpised if DHS didn't get at least 1 more, plus there's a possible Frontierland expansion that could deliver another. There's a lot of stuff in the pipeline.

The thing is that pretty much all the non-MK parks need (multiple) C-tickets more than they need E-tickets. They need stuff to fill out the day not the main draws. DHS pretty much only has E-tickets when it comes to rides. I'd rather see them build three smaller scale dark rides there than 1 E-ticket for the same price.

Epcot is probably the one park that really needs a new E-ticket.

ctrlaltdel

The thing is that pretty much all the non-MK parks need (multiple) C-tickets more than they need E-tickets. They need stuff to fill out the day not the main draws. DHS pretty much only has E-tickets when it comes to rides. I'd rather see them build three smaller scale dark rides there than 1 E-ticket for the same price.

Epcot is probably the one park that really needs a new E-ticket.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there will be another E-ticket in DHS, in addition to SWL. Totally agree on EPCOT though, although Disney may do what they are doing to DHS, throw a lot of money at once to remake FW/expand WS.

DinoInstitute

Probably a M&G or maybe a show. To be honest, it looks like there might be a building behind the "sheriff" door, which could be a M&G leaving the "hotel" door to be something different (though it could just be an entrance or exit).

I was thinking, however, that it would have been awesome if they put in a Fantasyland-style dark ride for Woody's roundup in that spot. Just a simple indoors non-height restricted ride to increase the offerings at DHS would be nice.
Completely agree that it would be awesome... Though I feel like there's no way that happens. It probably would have been announced. A smaller show though might be an addition that they don't make as big a deal of.

Mouse_Trap

Where and when? 2030 perhaps?

There's not one in Avatar, that has two rides, a D ticket Soarin' clone and a C ticket water ride. It looked like it may have gotten a E ticket roller coaster at one point, but that got cut ages ago.

Right now, there's a lot of possible, very little actually happening.

Mawg

There's been speculation about either a gift shop, food, meet and greet, or restrooms. But no one knows for sure.
I'm not talking about the inside of the building, I'm talking about the roof top. Maybe it will just be roof top dinning for the restaurant. That could be a rather kinetic area to grab some food and watch the coaster.

DinoInstitute

I'm not talking about the inside of the building, I'm talking about the roof top. Maybe it will just be roof top dinning for the restaurant. That could be a rather kinetic area to grab some food and watch the coaster.
Ooh I see what you mean.
I just assumed that it was just being themed because the coaster goes right over it and many will be looking at the roof. But idk, that could be it. And that would be pretty cool, too!

ctrlaltdel

Where and when? 2030 perhaps?

There's not one in Avatar, that has two rides, a D ticket Soarin' clone and a C ticket water ride. It looked like it may have gotten a E ticket roller coaster at one point, but that got cut ages ago.

Right now, there's a lot of possible, very little actually happening.
I'm pretty sure the flying ride is an E-ticket since it's not a Soarin' clone, it uses more advanced technology. Anyways, don't want to get any more off topic than we already are, but I'll agree with you that there has been a lack of big ticket rides the past 10 years or so at WDW. Hopefully the next 5 years fixes that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom