Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MrHappy

Thank you. It’s slightly higher than that and is the cost of bringing the TSL area to a standard ready for construction, and for actual construction.
Thanks Martin, but it appears the narrative here is that Disney projects cost more than Uni projects, and I'm trying to understand why. I'm certain that in the past it was confirmed here that Disney is "creative" in their books so that's why X at Uni cost $5, and X at Disney cost $100 to build.
Sorry, I don't have examples so I suppose this isn't going anywhere...maybe Penguin or Father can throw some charts at us :)

GlacierGlacier

AFAIK separate. As an aside planning for track 3 began in 2010.
Are there diagrams showing the space taken up by Midway Mania in the soundstage? Both with the two original tracks then the third. It's just so odd to me that they just had a portion of the building pretty much empty.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are there diagrams showing the space taken up by Midway Mania in the soundstage? Both with the two original tracks then the third. It's just so odd to me that they just had a portion of the building pretty much empty.
I can find one in the public domain. If no one else does I’ll sketch one.

Edit; from Ed on Flickr. Not entirely accurate but you’ll get the idea.

748ECED1-9AD4-4191-B227-E648C043BCB7.png

FerretAfros

Personally I can’t see Aliens being a tier one. Even if it is a new ride I still have to think FP demand for BatB would be higher to warrant it being a tier 1 over Slinky, if it remains one at all. Once SW opens I could see it being like Pandora with it just an either or for those two, maybe MMRR included also when it opens.
BATB is Tier 1 simply to allow a FP option without a height limit; realistically, there's no reason to FP a show that's performed on a set schedule. This is the same reason that Living with the Land was bumped up to Tier 1 during the Maelstrom/Frozen construction.

A.S.S. will have a height limit of 32", so even if it is Tier 1, I would expect BATB to remain as it is. Ideally, by the time all the construction is complete in a couple years, there will be enough in-demand attractions to eliminate the need for tiers at the park entirely (though theater-based attractions and shows will still need FP to boost the park's overall FP capacity)

Last edited:

WDWYankee15

Ideally, by the time all the construction is complete in a couple years, there will be enough in-demand attractions to eliminate the need for tiers at the park entirely (though theater-based attractions and shows will still need FP to boost the park's overall FP capacity)
I think this is true, but won't probably happen. Like Pandora they will force a choice between the top demand rides in SWL. I could see Tier 1 as being small and the majority of rides/shows in a Tier 2 status.

Brian Swan

If I had to guess, both new attractions will go into Tier 1 (bumping Beauty, like you said) until Star Wars opens, at which point the roster looks like this:

Tier 1:
Runaway Railway
Battle Escape
Millennium Falcon
Toy Story Mania
Slinky
Fantasmic

Tier 2:
Frozen Singalong
Indiana Jones
Star Tours
MuppetVision
Swirling Saucers
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Disney Junior
Rock 'n' Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror
Beauty and the Beast

Again, just my guess, but it keeps the DHS tradition of putting more rides in Tier 1, with Tier 2 holding around twice as many attractions overall.
Seeing it listed this way, DHS will be second only to MK with regards to attractions at 16 (9 rides and 7 shows). Based on my mental count, EP has 15 (8 rides and 7 shows), and AK has 11 (7 rides and 4 shows - and assorted walking trails). Don't kill me if I'm off by a number or two (I didn't pull out maps and check them off), but the idea that DHS is so far behind in attractions is not really true. Of course EP and AK have SO much more to see that falls outside of "attractions", but to some people, ride count seems to be all that matters...

EricsBiscuit

I’m afraid the implication is flying over my head. Overall, I’d say they’re matched by each other.

Pandora has the better headliner, better food, and less breaks in theme overall.

Diagon has superior entertainment, more numerous (and better) opportunities for guest interaction, and a stronger transportive feeling due to its layout.

Both are excellent lands, and worth the money to me. I worry that Toy Story won’t be worth the money.
Well we're not paying admission just for TSL

Tavernacle12

I think this is true, but won't probably happen. Like Pandora they will force a choice between the top demand rides in SWL. I could see Tier 1 as being small and the majority of rides/shows in a Tier 2 status.

This is what I anticipate too. Once SWL opens it'll be a choice between those two rides, Mania, and Rockin (unless Slinky is insanely popular) as Tier One and everything else on Tier 2. No idea, really, what their plan is for TSL, but I wouldn't be surprised if both rides were Tier One for a few months or both were Tier Two to begin with. I doubt many would pick them over Mania, and I still don't quite buy that the land will be popular enough that they'll run out beforehand after a few months. Even if it's new, I have a hard time seeing people pick Slinky over Mania.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom