Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Casper Gutman

I agree. I'm using your post as a jumping off point for my rant most won't care about, LOL.

Neither are perfect by any means. I love Universal. But let's be honest, they aren't perfect and honestly the level some have raised them to is a bit funny (and since we seem to keep going down the Uni vs. Disney debate, how long has it taken them to open Fast and Furious? What's the timeline for the family Potter coaster? Look at how badly they rolled out opening Volcano Bay, a lovely looking water park that's being promoted as something it's not). They weren't expanding or changing for a long time because there was no money to. Comcast bought them and has smartly expanded. Much like little ole' Disney has expanded. Disney doesn't need to do the type of expanding Universal is doing. They each have their own focuses. I wish this theme park war fantasy many have would go away.

And that's not to say Disney doesn't need to play catch up. They stagnated the WDW parks for a LONG time and now have to play catch up. Universal is catching up AND expanding but I wouldn't expect Disney to be doing the things Universal are doing. Universal Orlando is adding resort after resort. Like someone up the road did ;) And like Disney opened up parks around the globe (one just opened a couple of years ago), Universal follows suit and does the same thing. They've always followed each other, this is nothing new.
Now my rant!

For the most part, I totally agree with the gist of your post.

I actually disagree with some of your choice of criticisms, though - the family Potter coaster is moving forward at Uni's usual swift rate and the accusations on how Volcano Bay was promoted are unfair. I'd add my own, bigger criticisms - Uni's entertainment is not good (though I love the pet show for personal reasons) and not improving rapidly enough, F&F is going to be really bad and Fallon was lackluster (somewhat forgivable due to the speed which with they are building), they really need to get some more dark rides and utilize AAs more, and, while I like the few in-park sit-down restaurants available, they need a greater number and variety. Oh, and WDW still has a better overall line-up of rides.

So why do I usually praise Uni and criticize WDW?

The areas where WDW beats Uni, and there are more than a few, are remnants of the remarkable peak Disney reached in the early 90s. (Specifically fall 1994, when ToT was open and EPCOT hadn't begun its collapse, a very narrow window). That peak was so high, its unlikely Uni - or any other theme park - will ever match it. The more than two decades since then, however, have seen a steady decline in which not only were new strengths not added but elements that had made WDW great were allowed to deteriorate or were removed altogether. And even after all the new additions we know about at the moment, MGM will still not be a full park, EPCOT will be even more of a pathetic shambles then ever, MK will desperately need capacity, and resort-wide maintenance will continue to be so bad that someone is going to be very seriously injured or killed because of it. And management will continue to chip away at the greatest theme resort the country ever had.

The bottom line is that WDW has been steadily declining since the mid-90s and Uni has been steadily improving since Comcast took over.

And to bring this back to the thread subject, this is why I loathe TSL so much; it is a perfect embodiment of a variety of the interlocking, deeply-embedded business and design philosophies that have caused WDW's collapse in quality. It's a bright neon sign declaring that the decline continues.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Two random questions kinda of related to TSL:

1. What is the deal with the new sunset studio building over by RnRC? Like another poster said, it was a villains show for one hot min.
Now how is it being used? With DHS having so few rides, it seems like a wasted space.

2. Is there any way the Mermaid show building could be accessed from the new TSL? Could they change the entrance to the side towards TSL and make it a TSL show or even a small ride in that space?

1. I've asked that before and someone in the know said they use it for private parties. So, it is in use.

2. Nope. Back of VotLM is up against One Man's Dream. Also, you just can't make a back door cast entrance into an audience entrance without a lot of construction and then routing them past backstage to the seating area.

Kman101

I did acknowledge that WDW has stagnated. There's no excuse for it and I never excuse it. But Universal *had* to grow. Disney peaked before Universal. Now Universal has had their peak again. Now it seems to be both will have it's fair share.

And I was being a bit snarky with the Uni comments about construction. I truly don't follow it all that much so I have no idea what's going on with timelines, etc. I do keep up with some Universal blogs but they only post picture updates every so often. So, I was snarky but also genuinely curious on what the timelines are. And F&F feels like it was moving on Disney timeline, but maybe it's a case of it feeling like a lot longer than the reality. But shouldn't/couldn't this have been open a year ago?

I get why you prefer Universal at the moment. Personally I don't care much about Fast and The Furious. I don't care for Jimmy Fallon. I'm not a Potter-head (but I love the lands and rides). Transformers is fun but beats me up. My love for the Simpsons peaked in the 2000s, but the ride is fun, albeit the picture quality needed some work. I'm really excited for Nintendo though, but I have specific desires for the land and I'm not sure I'll get what I want LOL. IDK. I really do love the park but I can't say I personally adore their direction. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge they've stepped it up, Gringotts and FJ are fantastic and well-done. I'm one of the few who like Kong (but some of the screens are poorly implemented, mostly the ones featuring a human being). And while some of those aren't personally favorites of mine, I understand the use of them (it's still too much screenzzz but then both Uni and Disney have that problem, Uni, to me, a bit more but to each their own). But I argue they HAD to step it up, it was just sadly at a time WDW was on a decline. And Uni has done a great job. But I do feel they're overpraised a bit and I think people are quick to snap back if anyone offers a criticism of Universal, I'm not just being critical to be critical, fans of both parks seem to let a lot slide. And yes, I think the same of Disney at times. It's a bit overpraised in some areas and too overly picked apart in other areas.

I don't know. For me one, to many, lackluster land doesn't mean the decline continues. I think they've put out quality things and seem to have a nice slate ahead, whether I personally agree with them or not.

Oops, meant to quote @Casper Gutman

And I do respect how you feel. I get being excited seeing Universal grow and the sad feeling watching the WDW of the 90s that grew and grew and then stagnated as the park down the road finally got some attention, but now some act as if they are now they holy grail, I just don't see it that way. I'm nowhere near close to writing Disney off though. I guess I'm just not there but I really do understand why some are. I've criticized things they've done, I've wished things happened a certain way but they didn't. I wish for a lot of things for the parks. In my ideal world I'd prefer an Epcot Future World that harkened back to what it once was. But I also don't hate, say, Rat coming to World Showcase (I do take issue with Frozen and Guardians, moreso Guardians). So I'm very much in the middle of the IP/non-IP thing. I'd love non-IP attractions but that's not the reality right now so if I have to have an IP, I'll take one that fits. That's not saying many of their uses of IPs have been home runs, they've been slapped together messes. So I understand the hesitation and disdain people have for IP usage.

I do think TSL is a bit lazy (but I have no issue with the specific rides coming). But I also think Paradise Pier was lazy. I just don't necessarily care either way about it's addition to the park. I don't need to pick it apart or hate it just because. I'll have fun on the rides. I do agree we should expect a bit more (yeah, I know, I'm kind of contradicting myself -- I better be careful LOL). They could have themed the coaster supports better, among other things, and I wasn't thrilled seeing the new entrance to Mania. But I'll see how it looks, truly, when it opens and I'll go from there. I have my qualms but I'm also open to looking at the land for what it is. I just wish DHS had more coming. I know it sounds crazy to say that with three e-tickets on the verge of opening, along with two family rides, but man they need so much more. I understand the disappointment with this in the overall grand scheme of the expansion at DHS as it currently stands. I'd say if this were added 10 years ago most would whine some but be OK with it if we were also getting what we should have been getting in this expansion.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Pandora is not really a good comparison. They were barely ready for grand opening let alone previews.

But yeah don’t expect official guest previews earlier than June. Softs maybe.

So are you saying there could be soft openings followed by official previews (for AP, DVC etc)?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There were three permits this week for TSL show set installation all from different contractors. Looks like Disney is throwing a lot of outside contractors at this project.

2/22/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Adena Corporation
200 Ascot Dr (TSL) - Installation of Owner Provided Show Set Pieced

2/23/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Artistic Entertainment Services Llc
200 Ascot Dr (TSL) - Fabrication and installation of show set pieces

2/23/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Themeworks Inc
585 Stage Lane (TSMM) - Fabrication and installation of show set pieces

It was already announced that the FastPass+ for Toy Story Mania will be down (standby only) from April 9th-May 7th. But now that the opening of Toy Story Land isn’t until June 30th I’m wondering about what is going to happen with the entrance for Toy Story Mania in this almost 2 month block following May 7th. Would they really close the ride for that long in a park that already doesn’t have many rides? Would they go back to FastPass+ for the ride after May 7th until the opening of Toy Story Land and only right before the opening close off the old entrance to the ride? Perhaps the ride would only be accessible to APs in some type of soft opening during June (although this would be odd to make the ride no longer available to other guests IMO).

I know it’s likely just speculation at this point but I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts about what they see as likely to happen to the ride during this almost 2 month block between May 7th and June 30th. My fam will be there June 10th-15th (so in a way this is a self-interested rumor request), not sure the ride will be open to all guests just a couple weeks before Toy Story Land opens.

Here I am quoting myself but I haven’t seen a reply yet. Anyone? Speculation? Bump.

nickys

Premium Member
Here I am quoting myself but I haven’t seen a reply yet. Anyone? Speculation? Bump.

No one knows anything yet, which is probably why they haven't replied.

Until either Disney confirms the situation or FPs become available, there's really no way of knowing what will happen. It'll only be a couple of days before people can start checking for FPs for after May 7th (those with an onsite stay of 10 days or more will be able to book for May 8th on around the 28th of this month, if my maths is right).

ETA - just realised anyone with a UK 14 day ticket will already be able to look for FPs. However, given @Rteetz 's post below, that's a moot point anyway.

Last edited:
No one knows anything yet, which is probably why they haven't replied.

Until either Disney confirms the situation or FPs become available, there's really no way of knowing what will happen. It'll only be a couple of days before people can start checking for FPs for after May 7th (those with an onsite stay of 10 days or more will be able to book for May 8th on around the 28th of this month, if my maths is right).
Perfect! Thanks for the response.

According to this using the Club Level paid for 90 day FP booking window. Toy Story Mania is not available for booking in mid-late May.
Wow, okay. That’d be crazy if it was closed to all guests for almost 2 months (until the opening of Toy Story Land). I’m sure that wouldn’t be the case if they had a soft opening period for APs. But for a park that already only has 4 rides to trim it down to only 3 rides for a couple months seems like May and June could be EVEN BUSIER months than normal for the other three parks.

Speaking personally, when our fam goes in early June we don’t have park hopper tickets. I know there is a lot of other worthwhile things to check out at DHS than the 4 rides, but without the park hopper option I don’t know if I’d necessarily make a day out of it. It was already a harder sale before compared to an additional day at one of the other parks. We’re just 1 fam though, I’m not trying to make some ridiculous protest plea (lol) nor am I naive enough to believe DHS won’t still be busy those two months. I’m just saying I have a feeling the other parks might be getting more of the DHS traffic if it lost one of its (if not THE) best rides in that park. I’ll keep checking back to see if anyone has additional updates as we get closer.

nickys

Premium Member
Wow, okay. That’d be crazy if it was closed to all guests for almost 2 months (until the opening of Toy Story Land). I’m sure that wouldn’t be the case if they had a soft opening period for APs. But for a park that already only has 4 rides to trim it down to only 3 rides for a couple months seems like May and June could be EVEN BUSIER months than normal for the other three parks.

Speaking personally, when our fam goes in early June we don’t have park hopper tickets. I know there is a lot of other worthwhile things to check out at DHS than the 4 rides, but without the park hopper option I don’t know if I’d necessarily make a day out of it. It was already a harder sale before compared to an additional day at one of the other parks. We’re just 1 fam though, I’m not trying to make some ridiculous protest plea (lol) nor am I naive enough to believe DHS won’t still be busy those two months. I’m just saying I have a feeling the other parks might be getting more of the DHS traffic if it lost one of its (if not THE) best rides in that park. I’ll keep checking back to see if anyone has additional updates as we get closer.

Doesn't mean TSMM is closed, just that FPs aren't being issued.

Rteetz

It will be standby only at least in May yet. Not closed.

rocketraccoon

DW0sbLWW0AEzIg2.jpg:medium

Is this area opening up before the land? It looks like it's getting done pretty quick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom