Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Marlins1

I personally think HE is a great D Ticket attraction. Way better than 7DMT.
I actually like both HE and 7DMT quite a bit although I don't see any connection between the 2. HE is my favorite of the 3 Potter rides and I would definitely call it a ride. GMR actually plays more like a show to me.

Mawg

Where are the recognizable roller coaster, flat ride or carny game toys from the movie? By your own criteria the land is not on theme.
I think you are pushing your point pretty hard for the simple fact that you don't like it and it doesn't appeal to you. And, that's OK with me and I'm sorry you don't like it. My kids probably will not like it much either compared to a Star Wars land. The simple truth is, it's better than some of the more recent rumors of what we were getting (playland and RC racer) and it will help fill a need of rides for the little ones. It'll be cute but not mind blowing. I don't see this as me settling for mediocrity either as it is needed and some will love it. I'm still holding our for some other announcements over the next year or two. I would still like to see a monsters inc area, more Muppets and Indiana Jones. This park still needs more, but this is a good start.

lazyboy97o

I think you are pushing your point pretty hard for the simple fact that you don't like it and it doesn't appeal to you. And, that's OK with me and I'm sorry you don't like it. My kids probably will not like it much either compared to a Star Wars land. The simple truth is, it's better than some of the more recent rumors of what we were getting (playland and RC racer) and it will help fill a need of rides for the little ones. It'll be cute but not mind blowing. I don't see this as me settling for mediocrity either as it is needed and some will love it. I'm still holding our for some other announcements over the next year or two. I would still like to see a monsters inc area, more Muppets and Indiana Jones. This park still needs more, but this is a good start.
Because it is not better than the other assortment of flat rides, just different rides that are just as lacking in being more than a ride experience. The aesthetics and 'theme' of the land are exactly the same as the maligned Toy Story Playland, but people are acting like it is totally different. The land will also not fill any need for little ones, as the new rides will have height restrictions in line with existing attractions.

This is not about what appeals to me. As far as rides go, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a lot of fun and I love roller coasters. As rides, they're great, but we are supposedly talking about a theme park and not an amusement park. This land is a branded amusement park.

Disneyhead'71

Because it is not better than the other assortment of flat rides, just different rides that are just as lacking in being more than a ride experience. The aesthetics and 'theme' of the land are exactly the same as the maligned Toy Story Playland, but people are acting like it is totally different. The land will also not fill any need for little ones, as the new rides will have height restrictions in line with existing attractions.

This is not about what appeals to me. As far as rides go, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a lot of fun and I love roller coasters. As rides, they're great, but we are supposedly talking about a theme park and not an amusement park. This land is a branded amusement park.
This goes back to the themed or decorated arguement. And after thinking about it, I believe that I was on the wrong side of the debate earlier. Things like Pop Century and AoA have clouded my perspective. A 10' Buzz Lightyear statue standing in the courtyard of a hotel is decoration. The exact same statue standing in "Andy's Backyard" is theming.

lazyboy97o

This goes back to the themed or decorated arguement. And after thinking about it, I believe that I was on the wrong side of the debate earlier. Things like Pop Century and AoA have clouded my perspective. A 10' Buzz Lightyear statue standing in the courtyard of a hotel is decoration. The exact same statue standing in "Andy's Backyard" is theming.
I can;t tell if you're trying to be sarcastic, but the issue of themed decor and themed experience is not really the big issue here since there is an experience. The problem is that theme is not grounded. It is more an exercise than an actual design guideline.

lazyboy97o

You really can't take the characters and theme out of the equation. Would a wizarding world without Harry Potter characters have changed the Orlando landscape?
The experience of a roller coaster really doesn't change based on the customized look of the coaster train.

Disneyhead'71

I can;t tell if you're trying to be sarcastic, but the issue of themed decor and themed experience is not really the big issue here since there is an experience. The problem is that theme is not grounded. It is more an exercise than an actual design guideline.
Oh, I didn't say it was good theming, just that I have decided that it is in fact theming and not decoration. That in no way makes it less garish.

Marlins1

The experience of a roller coaster really doesn't change based on the customized look of the coaster train.
A ride's environment does effect the experience and so do the characters that are a part of that environment. The concept art looks like an environment that my family and I will enjoy and I have feeling many others will too. The ride weaves through the environment and therefore is affected by it. The question I was responding to was basically asking if we would feel the same way if they set these 2 rides up in a parking lot somewhere with no theme. I wouldn't but that is no more relevant than how I would feel if TOT was a drop tower in the middle of nowhere.

Bairstow

How would you folks feel if Disney built this land without the Toy Story characters?

It would certainly be no better.
The place would still look like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area crossed with Chester and Hester's.

Toy_Story_Playland_DLP.jpg

doctornick

i dont see that happening...but I do see them connecting the loop back by RnR now that the Art of Animation is closed.

The concept art -- if it is oriented as we all expect -- doesn't seem to offer a pathway or even potential for a future pathway to connect this Toy Story area to where RNR is.

That said, it's not clear how exactly Animation Courtyard will be involved but it's possible/likely that Toy Story will start at One Man's Dream/Jack Sparrow leaving the space from LM and the Animation building to be redeveloped into something else, which might eventually connect to where RNR is and help guest flow. Obviously Animation will be used for Star Wars Launch Bay and Blue Sky for now, as has been reported, but there could be some longer term plans for the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom