Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

FerretAfros

With TSMM getting a completely new entrance, could we see Single Riders worked back into this attraction or was it removed because it simply didn't work? @marni1971 @MansionButler84
Single rider was removed from both WDW and DCA's versions of the ride because people were not comfortable with members of their party (particularly children) getting paired with strangers, due to the seating configuration. Unlike other rides with single riders where everybody is pretty visible at all times, TSMM's back-to-back seats make it difficult to keep an eye on other riders. Although there are individual lap bars, the end result is sort of like sharing a HM doom buggy with a stranger.

To my knowledge, there were never any incidents, but Disney ultimately decided that it was more trouble than it was worth and removed it within months of opening. To my knowledge the TDS version, which opened 4 years, later never included a single rider line.

ToTBellHop

Single rider was removed from both WDW and DCA's versions of the ride because people were not comfortable with members of their party (particularly children) getting paired with strangers, due to the seating configuration. Unlike other rides with single riders where everybody is pretty visible at all times, TSMM's back-to-back seats make it difficult to keep an eye on other riders. Although there are individual lap bars, the end result is sort of like sharing a HM doom buggy with a stranger.

To my knowledge, there were never any incidents, but Disney ultimately decided that it was more trouble than it was worth and removed it within months of opening. To my knowledge the TDS version, which opened 4 years, later never included a single rider line.
Strangest to me is Flight of Passage being built with one but removing it. Why build it in the first place?

At least with Soarin, my understanding is that they tried it and it didn't work due to the large number of guests in each row, which makes it easy for a mathematically-inclined CM to fill the rows from full parties.

Brian Swan

Strangest to me is Flight of Passage being built with one but removing it. Why build it in the first place?

At least with Soarin, my understanding is that they tried it and it didn't work due to the large number of guests in each row, which makes it easy for a mathematically-inclined CM to fill the rows from full parties.
Soarin' at DCA had (has?) a single rider line, but it was no great deal. They did such a good job of filling extra seats from the main line, the SRL wait was often as long as the main line.

mitchk

IMG_2455.JPG
Look close you can see slinky

DisneyDodo

"Fewer" is necessary only if it is a countable object (whole number). "Less" is acceptable if the thing being measured is fluid, like water or time.

Edit: I usually ignore grammar police, but this time I had to stick up for JT.
While I do not advocate for grammar policing, the grammar policeman was not incorrect in this case. As you said, “fewer” is used in reference to something countable. In this case, the noun in question is “days,” which are countable.

However, I will reiterate that I do not believe the original post warranted a callout, especially since this is such a prevalent mistake (like “who” vs. “whom” errors).

solidyne

While I do not advocate for grammar policing, the grammar policeman was not incorrect in this case. As you said, “fewer” is used in reference to something countable. In this case, the noun in question is “days,” which are countable.

However, I will reiterate that I do not believe the original post warranted a callout, especially since this is such a prevalent mistake (like “who” vs. “whom” errors).
Could be partial days! ;) (Do you really eat lunch for "fewer" than ten dollars or "less" than ten?) Either are correct in some cases, with slightly different shades of meaning, especially where the elements are both discrete and non-discrete ways. Everyone knows that the express lane should have ten items or fewer. Everyone also knows that I have less patience than others. :) Some things, like time and water for example, can be measured in discrete or non-discrete. Fewer is acceptable if we are sure the measurement will be discrete, like days in this case, but less is also acceptable if the element can be measured differently, as time can be measured in hours, minutes, etc. (My lunch could cost fewer than ten dollars if I carried only paper money, but I like change.)

Edit: Oxford actually prefers "less":

Less is also used with numbers when they are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time, e.g.:

His weight fell from 18 stone to lessthan 12.

Their marriage lasted less than two years.

Heath Square is less than four milesaway from Dublin city centre.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

Could be partial days! ;) (Do you really eat lunch for "fewer" than ten dollars or "less" than ten?) Either are correct in some cases, with slightly different shades of meaning, especially where the elements are both discrete and non-discrete ways. Everyone knows that the express lane should have ten items or fewer. Everyone also knows that I have less patience than others. :) Some things, like time and water for example, can be measured in discrete or non-discrete. Fewer is acceptable if we are sure the measurement will be discrete, like days in this case, but less is also acceptable if the element can be measured differently, as time can be measured in hours, minutes, etc. (My lunch could cost fewer than ten dollars if I carried only paper money, but I like change.)

Edit: Oxford actually prefers "less":

Less is also used with numbers when they are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time, e.g.:

His weight fell from 18 stone to lessthan 12.

Their marriage lasted less than two years.

Heath Square is less than four milesaway from Dublin city centre.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer
This is all true, but in this particular case, the discussion has generally focused on the day TSL will open, without any consideration for the particular time. I guess only the original poster knows for sure what he really intended, but I think it’s safe to say that we have both put a lot more thought into what he said than he did ;)

Brian Swan

Has anyone seen, heard of, or know of any full runs around the track for Slinky dog yet? Do we know if the launch systems are functional yet? Has the ride system been installed in the Alien Spinners yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom