Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Younger children that can ride a launch coaster, plus one real attraction with no height limits for kids.
If this is all they are adding for the younger set, then I don't think they have learned their lesson. I don't need kiddie rides, but the park does. Meet and greets only go so far, plus a lot of parents hate them.

Mater has a height limit of 32 inches if it is the same ride both new rides will have height limits.

RSoxNo1

I agree, this is not a difficult build. No rock work, majority of theming can be built off site and dropped into place. The rollercoaster is a pretty standard roller coaster with the majority of theming coming from props. Flat rides never take them that long to complete. I'm sure it's why this was chosen as it can be done quickly and start to solve some of the parks problems. This will be completed just after Avatar.

Here in Florida we have the blessing of size...all this lovely space we can inefficiently develop like its the sprawling Atlanta suburbs.

Not to throw salt on the open wound, but can you imagine how effectively 11 acres would be used at DL?
There are trenches that will likely have to be true rock work builds. Not Avatar, Cars Land, or even Mine Train level, but there will be some faux land forming based in the concept art.

Let's also keep in mind that this is a land for children, but to Disney's credit there does seem to be more substance here than in similar lands (A Bug's Land and Toy Story Playland x2). I'm sure it's deliberate that this will be called Toy Story Land and not Toy Story Playland.

It definitely looks like the entrance and exit to TSMM are changing. I wonder how much downtime will be needed for that. I also wonder if the current Pixar Place drag will remain open. We know that area is highly congested and addressing that issue with the larger 11 acre space is a good thing, not a bad thing. I don't get that hate.

It will also be interesting to see how they treat Pixar Place in the future. Does that name go away? We're expecting more Pixar attractions, but if it's just Toy Story content first, he do they treat that? Is Toy Story Land a village equivalent, a la Serka Zong and Anandapur?

Another question is has the timeline for additional Pixar content moved to after Star Wars? It's safe to assume Star Wars has the longest build time, but with no additional Pixar attractions announced, I'm curious if timelines have shifted to move Star Wars forward to a 2019 opening date as opposed to the 2020-2021 originally believed.

I'm not looking at high res art work for the Saucers ride, but I just assumed it would be using the trackless system being used by the new Luigi's ride. If people are seeing evidence of it being a whip ride, that seems like a strange choice. Not bad, but strange.

It looks like Slinky has some lengt to it, and parts of it will hug the terrain/trenches. The problem is that with Toy Stpry, you have a land that lends itself more towards propping/decorating as opposed to theming. It's a simpler theme than Cars Land, Diagon, Avatar or Star Wars. Having said that, propping can work for a kiddy land, you use run the Dinorama risk.

Finally, people that say where's the substance? The park needs B and C ticket attractions. Worst case scenario is that this adds one of each. It's possible the coaster could be a D, but that remains to be seen.

lazyboy97o

If any of those IPs showed up in the film then I'd agree they could probably add them into the land. If not, they'd have to be separate, which honestly I wish they had gone with an overall Pixar Place theme instead of Toy Story specific.
Nothing about the films establishes them as being an alternate reality without Disney or Star Wars. In fact, other existing properties are deliberately incorporated. Even if those properties did not exist, Midways aren't exactly a very common toy. Any thing fits so long as it is a 'toy' version.

Well, the problem is they don't like 6 flags exposed steel coasters unless they are true to theme. Yes, mountains enable you to keep theme so they work well for Disney but there are cases where you don't need a mountain to keep theme. I think a backyard play track does a good job at keeping theme and can be exposed. We'll see as more concept art comes out, but I'm hoping for a nice long ride through some scenic toy adventures, it does not have to have a high thrill level but keep me entertained with some great themes and I'll be happy. Keep it true to the way kids build this stuff with supports being toy boxes, tinker toys and other random parts and it'll be great for the whole family.
Keeping theme is easy when the theme is a convoluted excuse to do anything. Nothing would ever be out of theme for the land. There is place being created. It only works as a brand experience.

PorterRedkey

There are trenches that will likely have to be true rock work builds. Not Avatar, Cars Land, or even Mine Train level, but there will be some faux land forming based in the concept art.

Let's also keep in mind that this is a land for children, but to Disney's credit there does seem to be more substance here than in similar lands (A Bug's Land and Toy Story Playland x2). I'm sure it's deliberate that this will be called Toy Story Land and not Toy Story Playland.

It definitely looks like the entrance and exit to TSMM are changing. I wonder how much downtime will be needed for that. I also wonder if the current Pixar Place drag will remain open. We know that area is highly congested and addressing that issue with the larger 11 acre space is a good thing, not a bad thing. I don't get that hate.

It will also be interesting to see how they treat Pixar Place in the future. Does that name go away? We're expecting more Pixar attractions, but if it's just Toy Story content first, he do they treat that? Is Toy Story Land a village equivalent, a la Serka Zong and Anandapur?

Another question is has the timeline for additional Pixar content moved to after Star Wars? It's safe to assume Star Wars has the longest build time, but with no additional Pixar attractions announced, I'm curious if timelines have shifted to move Star Wars forward to a 2019 opening date as opposed to the 2020-2021 originally believed.

I'm not looking at high res art work for the Saucers ride, but I just assumed it would be using the trackless system being used by the new Luigi's ride. If people are seeing evidence of it being a whip ride, that seems like a strange choice. Not bad, but strange.

It looks like Slinky has some lengt to it, and parts of it will hug the terrain/trenches. The problem is that with Toy Stpry, you have a land that lends itself more towards propping/decorating as opposed to theming. It's a simpler theme than Cars Land, Diagon, Avatar or Star Wars. Having said that, propping can work for a kiddy land, you use run the Dinorama risk.

Finally, people that say where's the substance? The park needs B and C ticket attractions. Worst case scenario is that this adds one of each. It's possible the coaster could be a D, but that remains to be seen.
Great post. I think the Slinky coaster will be a D ticket with an E-ticket line. I just wish there was another C-ticket or heaven forbid a D-ticket dark ride.

BrianLo

Realistically I think Star Wars was announced because their hands were tied. They could not get away with another tease and as a result it had to be revealed for both DL/DHS. There was a reason Scott Trowbridge said like five times it would be a while...

Toy Story was also a bit of a 'had to' move.

The funny thing is I think the 'medium term' projects were the ones left off the table. Both Marvel at DL and Mystery Pixar at DHS were held back because they actually could get away with not saying anything. I also think we'll see those both before Star Wars, but who knows, maybe Star Wars did get really fast tracked after all.

I said it before D23 as well, we are still too early for a DHS redo announcement. I know we saw a few parts of it and everyone has equated it as 'the announcement'. However, we probably have another year or so before they actually acknowledge that there is a big makeover happening and not just two isolated projects.

PorterRedkey

Realistically I think Star Wars was announced because their hands were tied. They could not get away with another tease and as a result it had to be revealed for both DL/DHS. There was a reason Scott Trowbridge said like five times it would be a while...

Toy Story was also a bit of a 'had to' move.

The funny thing is I think the 'medium term' projects were the ones left off the table. Both Marvel at DL and Mystery Pixar at DHS were held back because they actually could get away with not saying anything. I also think we'll see those both before Star Wars, but who knows, maybe Star Wars did get really fast tracked after all.

I said it before D23 as well, we are still too early for a DHS redo announcement. I know we saw a few parts of it and everyone has equated it as 'the announcement'. However, we probably have another year or so before they actually acknowledge that there is a big makeover happening and not just two isolated projects.
I hope you are right!

djlaosc

Here's a question, that I am not sure has been asked yet? (I'm currently at Page 32)

I can't remember the exact wording, but did the D23 announcement of Toy Story Land specifically talk about Andy's backyard?

If it did, does that mean that Hamm & Eggs and Rex and Trixie's Dino Darts will be removed/changed in Toy Story Midway Mania! as at the time that Woody and Buzz etc. would be in Andy's backyard, we have not met Buttercup and Trixie yet, as as far as we know, Andy didn't own a version of them, therefore Andy would not be playing with them, and so they wouldn't be set up in his Midway Games?

Does this also mean that there will be nothing from Toy Story 4 appear in the land when it is released (if the land is completed by then)?

Disneyhead'71

If any of those IPs showed up in the film then I'd agree they could probably add them into the land. If not, they'd have to be separate, which honestly I wish they had gone with an overall Pixar Place theme instead of Toy Story specific.
If that's a requirement then there is still TS4 coming. Where Buzz and Zurg team up to fight Darth Vader and Loki action figures.

Mawg

Keeping theme is easy when the theme is a convoluted excuse to do anything. Nothing would ever be out of theme for the land. There is place being created. It only works as a brand experience.
I disagree, only recognizable toys from the movies should be used. Yes, that does include a lot of junk but it still has to be on theme.

I'm getting a sense you don't like this idea, that's OK.

PorterRedkey

TSMM has not height requirement.
Okay, so 2 ride for the little ones. Thank goodness for Child Swap. Hell, the kids I am thinking about will be in college before we see this. so what am I worried about. ;)

To families with small children - (in the voice of Obi-Wan) This is not the park your looking for ... move along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom