Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flyerjab

Here's another of those things I`ve been known to do (thanks Steve for the photo of course)

View attachment 180967

Since this nice markup has been done, another question I am wondering is the TSMM building itself. As of now, the building is outside of the main construction area. At some point, I assume that space in front of the building, as well as the building itself in some locations will be also become a construction zone. I suppose since this is supposed to be Andy's backyard that the TSMM building will be hidden? The concept art never really allows you to see the back facade of that building.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since this nice markup has been done, another question I am wondering is the TSMM building itself. As of now, the building is outside of the main construction area. At some point, I assume that space in front of the building, as well as the building itself in some locations will be also become a construction zone. I suppose since this is supposed to be Andy's backyard that the TSMM building will be hidden? The concept art never really allows you to see the back facade of that building.

It should be painted a neutral colour and be hidden by trees and landscaping. There will still be a service road (or two of them when the existing one is split) between the building and the landscaping to give added distance.

Times like this you realise just how far things have changed since the MGM of 1988.

PizzaPlanet

Since the queue and load area for TSMM are themed to Andy's bedroom, does that mean we are leaving the backyard and going into his house? Maybe I'm reading too far into this...

flyerjab

Quick serve and bathrooms.

Though the food side of things may have expanded recently.

Curious if that axed area that was clearly themed to Woody is returning. I don't see where else they could fit anything in line with how they seem to like spreading things way out in WDW.

The weird thing is that the more I look at the construction zone for this project, it always seems to shrink a bit.

Slowjack

Here's another of those things I`ve been known to do (thanks Steve for the photo of course)

View attachment 180967
You may have elaborated on this before, but do we know what the entrance to this area (from the "hub" side, not from SWL) is going to look like? I'm having trouble picturing the transition. For that matter, presumably they have some demo work to do in that regard? When might we expect that to start?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You may have elaborated on this before, but do we know what the entrance to this area (from the "hub" side, not from SWL) is going to look like? I'm having trouble picturing the transition. For that matter, presumably they have some demo work to do in that regard? When might we expect that to start?
As I understand it backstage gates will block Pixar Place roughly where the sign arch is today. Once past the existing bathrooms on the left you'll continue along the existing pathway, crossing the backstage road running currently along the back of TSMM. Sets of gates will block this road on either side during park hours. Passing a DVC kiosk the path will curve left, with the coaster in front and to your right.

Theme wise I'd expect it to be smart generic up to the backstage road crossing.

The 1989 tour bridge will be gone, and the plans were for Stage Four (Narnia/Pirates) to be removed too though IMHO it wouldn't need to go. There's plenty of room between the buildings, again IMHO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Closing Pixar Place actually makes sense IMO as well, considering that it's another remnant of the "backlot-ish" theme, which would clash with the approach of the park's new iteration.
Sadly it's a closure of what could have been. The area was designed to mimic the real Pixar campus, the archway a gateway to a whole new land of attractions.

I've heard nothing at least short term about Animation Courtyard.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it sounds like they're going to clean up the appearance of Animation Courtyard? That's good news, IMO!

That corridor to the back lot area is the place where Pixar Place ends and Animation Courtyard begins... sort of. It becomes Mickey Avenues and then spills into Animation Courtyard. Since it seems Pixar Place will be closed off to the public (or maybe rethemed to something else if they keep it open as a passageway?), the only thing being 'cleaned up' will be that corridor to the back lot area as the entrance to TSL. The rest of Animation Courtyard isn't being touched by that retheming.

Red arrows show the way to TSL.

upload_2016-12-23_19-22-33.png

ToTBellHop

That corridor to the back lot area is the place where Pixar Place ends and Animation Courtyard begins... sort of. It becomes Mickey Avenues and then spills into Animation Courtyard. Since it seems Pixar Place will be closed off to the public (or maybe rethemed to something else if they keep it open as a passageway?), the only thing being 'cleaned up' will be that corridor to the back lot area as the entrance to TSL. The rest of Animation Courtyard isn't being touched by that retheming.

Red arrows show the way to TSL.

View attachment 181101
Doesn't seem they are doing much to improve guest flow and park layout. When they were going to bulldoze OMD and Pirates for a path to the Woody's Roundup area right off of Center Stage, it was much more hub-and-spokes. It seems we will stick with meandering-and-confusing. Hopefully they can at least streamline passage from Center Stage to Mickey Ave.

Mike S

Sadly it's a closure of what could have been. The area was designed to mimic the real Pixar campus, the archway a gateway to a whole new land of attractions.

I've heard nothing at least short term about Animation Courtyard.
Will all of that still be there and they'll just close it off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom