Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

The concept art isn't a construction plan so it will never match up exactly.
But, but... if they draw it that way according to Florida Law and especially the Theme Park building handbook for beginners, it must be built exactly as shown with no variations at all. It's just the way it is. ;)
The saddest thing is that I felt I had to put ;) in so that many people would know that I was joking.

DHSCM

Honestly the concept art just seems to be slightly off. The first overlay attempt accurately places the TSMM queue in relation to the current TSMM building, but A.S.S. doesn't line up with where they're pouring the foundation. The second overlay attempt gets A.S.S. right, but the TSMM entrance is misaligned.

"The second overlay attempt gets A.S.S" haha why did that have me dead? You know the big wigs are gonna come up with a better acronym

UpAllNight

Can't help but feel that whole area could have been compacted a lot better without compromising on either of the rides. And with using less pathways they could have focussed more on theme.

Goofyernmost

"Construction plans" come from a 3D digital model that is often used as a base for generating "concept" art.
That doesn't mean anything unless the artist is drawing in scale and not free-form. I suspect that since no one is going to consult the concept art for exact measurements, it will be free-form. Saves a whole lot of time. Do we believe that when the actual land is built, it is going to look like it was attached to a construction wall? Cause that's what the concept art looks like.

lazyboy97o

That doesn't mean anything unless the artist is drawing in scale and not free-form. I suspect that since no one is going to consult the concept art for exact measurements, it will be free-form. Saves a whole lot of time. Do we believe that when the actual land is built, it is going to look like it was attached to a construction wall? Cause that's what the concept art looks like.
It's a digital model; it is always at scale. The [likely digital] painting would be far easier to do based on an exported view.

Jones14

How many trains will be running on the track at any given time? If we know that and the number of rows per train, we can make some educated guesses on capacity per hour.

DisneyRoy

How many trains will be running on the track at any given time? If we know that and the number of rows per train, we can make some educated guesses on capacity per hour.

If I had to guess. One train loading. One train waiting. And one on the tracks. Figure 6 cars * 4 people per. All just guesses based on other similar coasters. I have no real idea. Although as short as the ride looks it might just be two trains at a time.

MrHappy

First off there is no Buzz ride. Its Alien Swirling Saucers.

Second I don't believe there are two sets of bathrooms in this land.

Third the Saucers ride is not that far back in the land.
To give another poster some credit, @TyTrap pondered the bathroom back on page 200. I only know this 'cause I was impressed with his curiosity. However, it's starting to become more than that now. The realization is setting in! One bathroom, lots of "hold it just one more second". It's like when your kid has to pee and you're in France at the WS in Epcot....do you book it back to UK or head for Morocco!

**Update: Answer: Neither, just go in the lagoon. I kid, I kid.

Goofyernmost

It's a digital model; it is always at scale. The [likely digital] painting would be far easier to do based on an exported view.
Well, duh! Of course the model is digital and on scale. The drawing is not. We were talking about the concept art weren't we? What we have been shown is not a photo of the model it is the artist (important word coming up) conception of that model. If it is over a few feet it really doesn't matter one way or the other. If the construction specs are where they are supposed to be, then it will be built as intended. The first thing to come is usually the concept art work and all the rest of the stuff is based on, but, not exactly like that artwork. Exact dimensions are not necessary in concept, just general. However the art work we see posted on the construction walls is balanced but not exact. What would be the purpose of being that precise about it when they know that it will probably alter to some degree during construction anyway.

lazyboy97o

Well, duh! Of course the model is digital and on scale. The drawing is not. We were talking about the concept art weren't we? What we have been shown is not a photo of the model it is the artist (important word coming up) conception of that model. If it is over a few feet it really doesn't matter one way or the other. If the construction specs are where they are supposed to be, then it will be built as intended. The first thing to come is usually the concept art work and all the rest of the stuff is based on, but, not exactly like that artwork. Exact dimensions are not necessary in concept, just general. However the art work we see posted on the construction walls is balanced but not exact. What would be the purpose of being that precise about it when they know that it will probably alter to some degree during construction anyway.
First, you don't know the phase of development in which the art was created. Everything gets called concept art even if it was made during construction. Second, Disney's concept phase includes lots of detail, including some very exact dimensions. A digital model makes doing an aerial painting much easier to accomplish, as in some tracing would be involved.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's another of those things I`ve been known to do (thanks Steve for the photo of course)

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@marni1971 , do you have any idea what that white rectangular slab is next to the alien spinner ride is?

I was initially thinking that slab was concrete, but I also noticed the large white blocks in the picture which I couldn't identify. I recently stumbled across something called Geofoam (http://www.geofoam.com/) that can be used in place of normal fill so I think that might be what that slab is. That location lines up with where the old canal used to be, so they may have had to excavate part of that and then re-fill it with the Geofoam. It looks like they are burying the slab which further leads me to believe it's the foam.

upload_2016-12-22_18-32-59.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom