Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

They've got to be waiting for something. I don't know what it is, but we'll see.
Who knows? Maybe it'll be a project that soft opens a few months before officially opening. I agree 18 months seems long. But the park will get a gift for its 29th bday. This will be like your gift from your ancient Great Aunt Millie who has no idea what you like. 30th birthday party should be far more enjoyable.

jt04

Trust me, they know what they're doing. Except with Tot. Tot not closing will prove to me that Disney has logic. Let's wait and see, but as for Toy Story Land they'll open it when the time is right.

Disney has logic but possibly not long term rights to the TZ IP. Which should make all real TZ fans happy.

jt04

Indeed. It's not that good.

If true than this may be a placeholder or test bed. Like a certain corner of the MK that has served this purpose for decades.

For comparison, Space Mountain, Pandora, SWL, Tree of Life and the ToT (the building) are not placeholders. Places such as Camp Minnie-Mickey, Birthday- Starland-Circusland and Indy Stunt Show clearly are.

Makes me wonder if Pixar might be being considered for a 5th gate in the distant future. 20 years or so from now.

Goofyernmost

If true than this may be a placeholder or test bed. Like a certain corner of the MK that has served this purpose for decades.

For comparison, Space Mountain, Pandora, SWL, Tree of Life and the ToT (the building) are not placeholders. Places such as Camp Minnie-Mickey, Birthday- Starland-Circusland and Indy Stunt Show clearly are.

Makes me wonder if Pixar might be being considered for a 5th gate in the distant future. 20 years or so from now.
Indy must be the bestest place holder ever. No one's seen the reason to kick it out for something new... yet. But even if they did, it has been there long enough to be much more then a "placeholder". Even the car stunt show was a placeholder, that was just a not well thought out addition to DHS. Perhaps it was back in the days when Disney thought that spending money on Cast members was worthwhile (just a mere 11 years ago) (sigh)

Daveeeeed

Disney has logic but possibly not long term rights to the TZ IP. Which should make all real TZ fans happy.
How on earth???!!? It is showcased and enhances one of the best rides in the world. How is that not a good thing, and believe me I love the Twilight Zone. If they drop TZ it neeeds to change to an original hotel story, if they change it to an ip like Guardians that's a problem.

jt04

How on earth???!!? It is showcased and enhances one of the best rides in the world. How is that not a good thing, and believe me I love the Twilight Zone. If they drop TZ it neeeds to change to an original hotel story, if they change it to an ip like Guardians that's a problem.

If Disney looses or drops the IP it is likely someone else will pick it up. So that may be good.

I agree though that GotG would work better in FW at WDW than the Studios. However I think it will work perfectly at DCA as one of the anchors for new Marvel content. That tower must be looked at as just one piece of a larger undertaking. With that perspective it is easy to see how it works well.

Disneyhead'71

As far as to how and when to open this land. I think it would be a big misstep to open it the year after Pandora and with a whole lotta hoopla. I really think they should open this ASAP and with no big fanfare. Just one day people show up and the walls are down. Along with TV ads claiming now open. This really is just one step above the Simpsons redo at USF.

Daveeeeed

If Disney looses or drops the IP it is likely someone else will pick it up. So that may be good.

I agree though that GotG would work better in FW at WDW than the Studios. However I think it will work perfectly at DCA as one of the anchors for new Marvel content. That tower must be looked at as just one piece of a larger undertaking. With that perspective it is easy to see how it works well.
Guess what? If it happens it would be a rollercoaster called Twilight Zone at Six Flags. It won't, but if you'd prefer that okay:hilarious:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, I'm the only one who sees pictures and videos of the Paris version of TSL and think "that looks cool!" Maybe I'm just the right age to be blinded by you story nostalgia, but I think the land looks neat as a smaller scale addition. I love all the little details like giant shoe prints in the sidewalk and wooden you train tracks as benches. I'm disappointed there isn't one more flat ride here, but the Mayer ride looks really fun! And I'm always up for another coaster I can ride with my little cousin! And Toy Story Mania will round out the land as a third attraction.

I do feel WDI could've done more here both with the Toy Story theme or with a different them and as a big movie geek, I'm sad the Studios is moving away from a studio's theme. But I don't see why this land is getting soooooo much hate. If it's anything like Paris, I'm excited! Sure it won't be Disney at its absolute best, but it will be far from Disney at its worst. Or maybe I'm just blinded by Toy Story nostalgia.

Disneyhead'71

So, I'm the only one who sees pictures and videos of the Paris version of TSL and think "that looks cool!" Maybe I'm just the right age to be blinded by you story nostalgia, but I think the land looks neat as a smaller scale addition. I love all the little details like giant shoe prints in the sidewalk and wooden you train tracks as benches. I'm disappointed there isn't one more flat ride here, but the Mayer ride looks really fun! And I'm always up for another coaster I can ride with my little cousin! And Toy Story Mania will round out the land as a third attraction.

I do feel WDI could've done more here both with the Toy Story theme or with a different them and as a big movie geek, I'm sad the Studios is moving away from a studio's theme. But I don't see why this land is getting soooooo much hate. If it's anything like Paris, I'm excited! Sure it won't be Disney at its absolute best, but it will be far from Disney at its worst. Or maybe I'm just blinded by Toy Story nostalgia.
TSL, too me, looks as magically classy as a value resort.

DinoInstitute

I think the hate for TSL stems from management as a whole. I don't think many people would complain if this wasn't the only thing that was new aside from Star Wars, plus the fact that it's taking so long, plus the fact that it's taking up so much space. It's just not a good use of resources at all.

That said, I think the Hong Kong version looks nice, at least better than the Paris one. I watched this tour video the other day that looks kind of nice. DHS really should be the same size of this, with TSMM where Slinky is, Aliens where Parachutes is, and the coaster entrance where RC is, relative to how the video goes through the land.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
TSL, too me, looks as magically classy as a value resort.
I don't know, I've always like the All Star resorts too. Maybe I'm just a fan of "tacky" Disney stuff sometimes. I have my limits though, like nothing will convince me that Crystal Grotto boat ride deserves to not only be in a Castle park, but a center piece of Shanghai Disney.

But TSL feels like the right kind of tacky too me I guess.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

The "land chewing" that this does on a relatively fixed side of the park is ridiculous for what we is being realized. Flipping the entrance and exit for TSMM and utilizing space that was wasted, under-utilized, abandoned, or redundant for a "land" should be a good thing. This park and AK are starving for attractions. What is being delivered is and will be quite under-whelming versus what almost was (and even that was "good enough"). I'll say this, had this area kept it's original plan and attraction offerings, it would have been better.

*1023*

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think the hate for TSL stems from management as a whole. I don't think many people would complain if this wasn't the only thing that was new aside from Star Wars, plus the fact that it's taking so long, plus the fact that it's taking up so much space. It's just not a good use of resources at all.

That said, I think the Hong Kong version looks nice, at least better than the Paris one. I watched this tour video the other day that looks kind of nice. DHS really should be the same size of this, with TSMM where Slinky is, Aliens where Parachutes is, and the coaster entrance where RC is, relative to how the video goes through the land.

That looks fun and inviting to me! I didn't realize the statues talks though. I think I'd rather they not unless their mouths move lol. Maybe just have Mr. Potato Head in the middle of the land under an awning or something as the talking character

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom