Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think that might be a very wide prediction without having a specific time frame identified. The future goes out for a much greater distance then just the next few months. To say that nothing will be added over time is kind of misleading, I think. It may be true, but, I also don't think that this can be ruled out over a long period of time. I will accept that for now, nothing will be added, but, I don't think that is necessarily the original statement. If there is room, there is room to add on over time if the need should arise.
We are talking about Toy Story Land, right?

Goofyernmost

We are talking about Toy Story Land, right?
Yes, at least that is what I think we were talking about. I agree that nothing else is happening right now or perhaps even in the near future, but, unless I misunderstood something the reply was "nothing will be added" to a question connected to the size of the space and the possibility that at some perhaps distant point, something might be added. I say that it is possible if the demand exists. So if your reply meant to say "nothing will be added in this particular cycle" then I would agree and apologize.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, at least that is what I think we were talking about. I agree that nothing else is happening right now or perhaps even in the near future, but, unless I misunderstood something the reply was "nothing will be added" to a question connected to the size of the space and the possibility that at some perhaps distant point, something might be added. I say that it is possible if the demand exists. So if you're replay meant to say "nothing will be added in this particular cycle" then I would agree and apologize.
Sorry we misunderstood each other. Nothing more will be added due to the layout and space availability of the new land. The design is not very efficient with space. To add, something else outside of the land will need to be removed. But at least there's a DVC kiosk.

Brian Swan

I didn't mean that they would contrast each other or not work in the same park or anything, I'm just saying that the plot of land where TSL is going has TSMM right there, and they of course wouldn't close it. Theres ways around that, it's just more work.
In DCS, TSMM is "upscale" carnival games set in a "upscale" midway; thematically, it's perfect. In DHS, it's always been let's put a popular ride "here", outside of any park context. By building a mini-land around it, it at least gives it more context.

Brian Swan

I like the concept of Toy Story Land, I really do, but this is Disney's third (or is it 4th?) time trying to get it right, and they can't even do that. It should have an area like HISTK playground for starters. That's literally one of the easiest things to do. Then add a (decent) Slinky coaster, and another flat ride that doesn't have too much of a height requirement. Move Buzz Lightyear over (retheme it slightly, use the framing narrative of Hamm & Rex playing a video game) to be near TSMM.
The imagineers would have to commit to scale though. No M&Gs in the land itself. Maybe when people exit, there could be one, but Woody, Jessie, and Buzz shouldn't be the same size as guests & Green Army Men if scale is really a large part.
Actually, if the whole immersion "gimmick" is that guests are shurnk to the size of Andy's toys, have "life sized" Woody, Buzz, Jessie, etc, fit's perfectly. What DOESN'T fit is a 20 foot tall statue of the toys. A 15' long sneaker laying around would actually add to the theme...

DinoInstitute

Actually, if the whole immersion "gimmick" is that guests are shurnk to the size of Andy's toys, have "life sized" Woody, Buzz, Jessie, etc, fit's perfectly. What DOESN'T fit is a 20 foot tall statue of the toys. A 15' long sneaker laying around would actually add to the theme...
In the other TSLs at least, the scale is that people are shrunk down to the size of Green Army men, which are smaller than the other main toys. So the statues, while kind of weird, do in fact fit more than normal characters would.

Brian Swan

It's just so big... With the spot outlined that was said to be the load/unload of the coaster, it boggles my mind how they could possibly fill up the rest of the huge space between with meaningful additions.

Just looking at the aerial shows how crazy it is that only two attractions will be there.
The problem is just about any coaster will have a lot of "unused" land around and under it - unless it's designed as a highly compact coaster such as the various indoor coasters and PW (which is really just a large carnival midway ride). Kumba at BGT is an exception where they did an very good job of integrating into the park with various pathways - and even parts of attractions under it (and to a lesser extent Alpengeist at BGW). But look at just about any coaster in any park, and there's a lot of ground that is not available for other development.

DinoInstitute

The problem is just about any coaster will have a lot of "unused" land around and under it - unless it's designed as a highly compact coaster such as the various indoor coasters and PW (which is really just a large carnival midway ride). Kumba at BGT is an exception where they did an very good job of integrating into the park with various pathways - and even parts of attractions under it (and to a lesser extent Alpengeist at BGW). But look at just about any coaster in any park, and there's a lot of ground that is not available for other development.
Then maybe they should be building something else...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom