• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

The original budget for this ridiculous land was $400 mil?! How does a family roller coaster, a spinning ride, and a couple of shops cost $400 mil?!

With the proposed/rumored $350 mil for all of Epcot's Future World, that's not very encouraging. :-/
Remember when $100 million was able to give us Expedition Everest and its surrounding area? Yeah, those times are over...

Fix your budgets WDI.
268 million is the current figure. Don't ask.

Planned to open second half of 2018.
Second half of 2018 and $268 million, for this?!?!
Believe it.

As it stands the land will have two merch carts and a DVC kiosk. The coaster may have a rather small exit store or may not.

I'll also reiterate with what @Disneyhead'71 said earlier, the sole eaterie here is combined with the restroom building. Seating is outdoors only.
Of course :rolleyes:

ctrlaltdel

Advertisement
Think of phase 3 as a plussing of existing areas of the park. Not nessecerily all new build.

Though I know of one IP that's been decided. Another that's at the top of the being tossed around pile. Though its years off yet, if it happens at all.
So any new rides at all? I would love to see Indiana Jones (which was refuted early on in the process, but don't know if things have changed).

clemmo

Think of phase 3 as a plussing of existing areas of the park. Not nessecerily all new build.

Though I know of one IP that's been decided. Another that's at the top of the being tossed around pile. Though its years off yet, if it happens at all.
Sounds good an overall plussing with some new entertainment/shows and a new ride or two would be great to tie the park together. Thanks for the great info

I have confirmation that the QS and Restrooms have been combined into the one structure.

TSL's budget was cut from $400 million to $250 million. The lift hill was cut so that all the stuff like the board game could be cut. The restrooms and QS was combined because one building is cheaper than 2. And in a little fit of passive aggressiveness, the imagineers cut the retail location (Al's Toy Barn).
So we will get to enjoy outdoor retail at Andy's Mom's Yard Sale, then?

dstrawn9889

The original budget for this ridiculous land was $400 mil?! How does a family roller coaster, a spinning ride, and a couple of shops cost $400 mil?!

With the proposed/rumored $350 mil for all of Epcot's Future World, that's not very encouraging. :-/
including the removal of everything that was there before, the infrastucture, the access roads...Et al

Slowjack

I'm still really hoping for that Monsters Inc Door Coaster.
I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?

I've asked this before...why do people want this door coaster concept? Don't get me wrong, I like Monsters Inc., and would be happy to see attractions based on it. And I understand some people are fans of suspended coasters which this would presumably be. Are those the only reasons people want this, because based on how often it comes up, you would think it was another Western River Expedition. I just don't see what would be appealing about a ride that takes you through a warehouse of doors. Would you be sitting "in" a door?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's tastes; I'm genuinely curious. What do you think this ride would look like and what excites you about the concept?
I think people believe this coaster would be more exciting than the gentle, family coaster that was designed. Remember, it was supposed to go into Studio 3, which is not that large, although the building would have been modified, from what I have read.

shortstop

It seems like a no-brainer, especially considering the company's insistence on IP-based rides. This one just seems like it would be a great fit for DHS.

UpAllNight

I picture a door coaster concept as having dreadful capacity, but being a really cool ride.

A 3 year announcement >build for this area is absolutely astonishing. It should have been open early/mid 2017.

Rteetz

I think people believe this coaster would be more exciting than the gentle, family coaster that was designed. Remember, it was supposed to go into Studio 3, which is not that large, although the building would have been modified, from what I have read.
I thought it was supposed to go in studio 1 where the toy story third track is now.

Mike S

Awesome post as always Mike, I didn't realize that a whole new building would be built behind it. In hindsight, that makes a lot more sense. I still think the excitement level might be fairly mild.
Thanks :) I just love when concepts like that get posted so I save them when I can. It's like a peek into the vaults of Imagineering. I can only imagine the stuff our insiders have that can't be posted here.

Thanks :) I just love when concepts like that get posted so I save them when I can. It's like a peek into the vaults of Imagineering. I can only imagine the stuff our insiders have that can't be posted here.
It is so awesome we have these great fans/historians/insiders, that can provide us with this concept art. To be honest, I collect and save concept art too, but my SSD external drive got crushed and sadly I lost a lot of concept art.
Now I, have this image, so thanks again.

Kate F

I'm quoting myself because I think I've commented plenty on TSL and I really don't have much new to add, but I still feel the exact same way as I did when I first posted these. I'm honestly astounded that they STILL haven't started construction yet.
With bigger, complex projects like Avatar and SWL, I can understand Disney taking their time with them. A moderately themed family land with two relatively simple new attractions and a couple of meet-n-greets? Ehh...I really don't know how anyone can defend their slow pace on this one.
Heres why I am upset that they haven't started working on this land yet:

My first trip to WDW was in 2005, and we saw Everest being built as well as several commercials for the ride. Everyone in my family was excited and we were all in agreement that it was something we definitely needed to return for. After Everest, there hasn't been anything that we felt we just had to go back for, despite taking multiple trips over the years. The past few years, the main reason we've been coming back is because of the constant stream of new exciting additions at Universal. We've been much more impressed by them as of late and we don't currently have any plans to go back to Disney for a while. To be fair though, we are fans of thrills and I understand Disney isn't focused on adding many of those at the moment, but our main problem is that the parks are kind of stale now, which I know they are trying to fix.

Anyway, I'm not really excited about TSL at all, the coaster might be fun but that's all I got at the moment. The theme, the low quantity of rides and the lack of any new E-tickets (not all E-tickets need to be thrilling) really doesn't give me anything to be excited about to begin with, but the fact that they haven't even started with this pretty simple project kind of infuriates me. I get that the land is supposed to be for families, and I'm sure kids will love it, which is great, but it's just kind of depressing to see that it takes Disney so much time and so much money to build such simple things nowadays. I honestly wish they would just get it done and over with so they can focus on the more ambitious projects.

Herbie

Shocked at the price, but astounded they would go through with TSL in it's currently planned, truncated form... I'd love to hear it reiterated that this is on the same wavelength as Cars Land...

Top Bottom