Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

G00fyDad

Do you realize that these are essentially the SAME? The top rendering is simply a steeper angle of the bottom photo above the red line. Also, the top photo is not as detailed as the bottom photo. that may give the impression that this land is going to be rather bland. Everything in the first released art (bottom) is in the latest artwork (top) except the toy barn and the town facade. I'd be willing to bet that they are still part of the project.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_27411.jpg
Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052.jpg

Goofyernmost

Do you realize that these are essentially the SAME? The top rendering is simply a steeper angle of the bottom photo above the red line. Also, the top photo is not as detailed as the bottom photo. that may give the impression that this land is going to be rather bland. Everything in the first released art (bottom) is in the latest artwork (top) except the toy barn and the town facade. I'd be willing to bet that they are still part of the project.
View attachment 145834 View attachment 145835
Nah, people live and die based on wall filler artwork. I don't bother to argue it anymore. We'll see what we get when we get it. It might be less or it might be what was originally envisioned. Doesn't matter really, we will get what they want to give us, we have no control or any real way of knowing why decisions are made. All we can do is expect the worst and then be upset because the color of a wall was wrong even if it comes out better then we expected.

Phicinfan

I also wonder if that original artwork doesn't give us a hint to a link to Phase 3? Just spit balling here, but maybe the cuts force part of TSL to be sepperated out to be extended later for a bridged phase 3?

rioriz

Look closer, the biggest issue many have with the cuts to the land deal with Slinkys lack of ditches and rockwork. Believe it or not, that being cut cheapens the whole look and believability of the story they are trying to sell us. Look at the large shovel within the track: brilliant theming that actually makes the rider feel as though Andy just finished digging the trenches. It goes the extra mile to sell the experience....without it that believability fails a little more.

Even with the stuff left off the current art at the entrance of the land, my excitement for the project has waned some

G00fyDad

Look closer, the biggest issue many have with the cuts to the land deal with Slinkys lack of ditches and rockwork. Believe it or not, that being cut cheapens the whole look and believability of the story they are trying to sell us. Look at the large shovel within the track: brilliant theming that actually makes the rider feel as though Andy just finished digging the trenches. It goes the extra mile to sell the experience....without it that believability fails a little more.

Even with the stuff left off the current art at the entrance of the land, my excitement for the project has waned some

And they may still use that idea. We really don't know at this point. Even the insiders only have the most current info. TDO may make changes right up to the actual shovels in the ground on any one particular spot of TSL. I agree that it would be amazing to have those ditches though.

chiefs11

In addition to the lack of ditches, rockwork and the removed themeing, the other differences I see are:
1. missing the building with the board game roof in the middle near the quick service food location
2. missing the road-themed-path that went over the trenches of the coaster
3. the path of the coaster itself is a little different, it now appears to have 2 launches instead of 1 lift hill and 1 launch... personally I think the lift hill would have added a little more thrill to the ride, and maybe an extra 20 seconds of ride time... though some people might think the launches are more thrilling, so that could go either way.

G00fyDad

In addition to the lack of ditches, rockwork and the removed themeing, the other differences I see are:
1. missing the building with the board game roof in the middle near the quick service food location
2. missing the road-themed-path that went over the trenches of the coaster
3. the path of the coaster itself is a little different, it now appears to have 2 launches instead of 1 lift hill and 1 launch... personally I think the lift hill would have added a little more thrill to the ride, and maybe an extra 20 seconds of ride time... though some people might think the launches are more thrilling, so that could go either way.

1. Still there. No board game on top. No need for it. Who's going to see it? They just moved the lunchbox quick service spot to the side of it instead of having the all on its own.

TSL2.jpg
TSL1.jpg

2. They are probably bending to insurance requests that guests not be allowed under a roller coaster. Maybe.

3. With the exception of having a curve instead of a loop next to the main junction walkway it is exactly the same track.

chiefs11

You know, looking at those 2 concept art pictures again... I think part of the change might be related to moving Star Wars land to the location next to TSL. In the older artwork, the spires aren't there....the quick service location is further back to the left and the extra building is in front of it. In the newer artwork that shows the rock spires from SWL, the quick service is closer in, and there isn't room for the extra building. Could just be the angle the artwork was drawn at, but might be part of the reason that extra building was removed. Wouldn't have anything to do with the other differences though.

What was that building supposed to be anyway? Restrooms?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 145834 View attachment 145835

Here is an un-cropped version of the newer art that shows that the Woody area and toy barn have been removed.

tsl.jpg

chiefs11

1. Still there. No board game on top. No need for it. Who's going to see it? They just moved the lunchbox quick service spot to the side of it instead of having the all on its own.

2. They are probably bending to insurance requests that guests not be allowed under a roller coaster. Maybe.

3. With the exception of having a curve instead of a loop next to the main junction walkway it is exactly the same track.

1. Yes, i think I agree with you on point 1... see my other post above as to why they might have changed it this way. As for the gameboard on the roof, it might have been visible from the old layout of the coaster.. but the new layout with the launch instead of a lift-hill looks to have a banked turn there instead, so you wouldn't be able to see that roof anyway now.

2. Possible, but if they decided to remove the trenches from the design, this path wouldn’t work anyway.

3. I agree that other then the first big turn being different and the lift-hill now appearing to be be a launch, it is basically the same. Just elevated now and not in the ground in trenches.

To me the big loss is the extra thematic elements in and around the coaster itself. I'd have preferred a lift-hill to having 2 launches, but others might disagree so that's a wash.
Losing the buildings at the entrance is a loss as well, as the expanded concept art shows them missing now, too.

G00fyDad

To me the big loss is the extra thematic elements in and around the coaster itself. I'd have preferred a lift-hill to having 2 launches, but others might disagree so that's a wash.
Losing the buildings at the entrance is a loss as well, as the expanded concept art shows them missing now, too.

Let's just hope they get their heads out of their collective butts and make the right decision.

rioriz

Concept show it missing but the concept video shows them still there except for the oversized shovel, paper airplane , and a couple thers

KingOfEpicocity

They could've made the slinky coaster have springs between each car to make it more than just a barnstormer. Hard to tell but looks like they missed out on that.

chiefs11

Concept show it missing but the concept video shows them still there except for the oversized shovel, paper airplane , and a couple thers
Well, I guess the shovel would be out of place without the trenches anyway, so that makes sense.

They could've made the slinky coaster have springs between each car to make it more than just a barnstormer. Hard to tell but looks like they missed out on that.
Neat idea.. would be a similar plussing to a simple coaster like they did with the tilting cars on the mine train.

djkidkaz

So one positive I notice about getting rid of the lift hill and changing the loop to more of a curve is it seems they will be able to hide a lot more of the large poles holding up the track in all the foliage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom