Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Siren

I believe the latter but If I said that I'd be called a doom n gloomer. Though from the figures I heard I'd hope the cost had been reduced.
Oh please, Marni. No one has or will call you a Doom & Gloomer for something like this.

It's quite well known, that *everyone* across the board has expressed some disappointment over how much Disney has *appeared* to cut from the initial renderings.

This is not a Doom & Gloomer versus Pixie Duster issue, everyone agrees about this.

With that said, things may totally change between now and then. Remember, Disney axed Pixie Hollow and added 7DMT and a whole lot of others features to New Fantasyland at the last minute So there is still hope.

RSoxNo1

More like Bug's Land.. but bigger. It's going to have much of the same complaints people had about it too.. being kid only instead of family. Great details to look at and creative use of stuff (but unfortunately, mostly already done in TSMM and other places) but lacking in substance to get the non-kids to acknowledge the area as great because they feel nothing is in there for them. At least Toontown in DL had Roger Rabbit, and the gags in the town at the front half of the place. Maybe the reference is more like MK's "toontown" aka some playgrounds and M&Gs.. ;)
No, Bug's Land is A ticket rides designed 100% for children. A B ticket whip ride and C ticket coaster are a bit more broad. The land itself will have a B, C (coaster) and D (TSMM). That seems more like Toon Town to me.

doctornick

I really don't think it's necessary here provided that the dark rides are coming with other themes.

I would agree, but that means that those other themes need to happen.

Once Star Wars is built, DHS won't have a burning need for E-tickets but will still need a number of smaller B- and C-tickets to round out the park. As is, we are looking at 9 total rides existing or planned. Getting up to 11-12 total rides with some smaller dark rides would be great to see.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, Bug's Land is A ticket rides designed 100% for children. A B ticket whip ride and C ticket coaster are a bit more broad. The land itself will have a B, C (coaster) and D (TSMM). That seems more like Toon Town to me.

Remove TSMM from that discussion and rethink it :) I admit I'm not counting TSMM simply because its already there and I really don't want to give it credit for simply moving the entrance.. :D

KingOfEpicocity

Once Star Wars is built, DHS won't have a burning need for E-tickets but will still need a number of smaller B- and C-tickets to round out the park. As is, we are looking at 9 total rides existing or planned. Getting up to 11-12 total rides with some smaller dark rides would be great to see.

This is true, as of right now the park is mostly full of E tickets and D tickets (star tours and TSM imo) so there is a need for kid friendly C and B tickets.

No Name

I too would like to think this wasn't buget cutting, but there were certainly cuts. The biggest clear cut, I think, is the removal of the buildings at the entrance of the land.

The first art had me minorly excited, the second art has me, well, far less excited.

But I'd rather them keep chopping at this budget rather than at Star Wars Land. Leave SWL alone. Of course I'd rather them invest in quality attractions and not make budget cuts at all.

I really don't think it's necessary here provided that the dark rides are coming with other themes.

With other themes? What else other than Star Wars?

MagicHappens1971

So as for retheming, and situating TSMM into the new TSL, will taking down the facades and retheming be the last step? And are the bathrooms by TSMM staying or are they moving?

G00fyDad

Not sure it was just the space, but I also think the fact they finally decided to move SWE to that end of the park, and now had to transition from TSL to SWE, that made the quick service food building move, or at least that is how I see it.

That's what I was essentially talking about as for the reason they moved the QS location. ;)

clemmo

Speaking of total ride numbers or in this case lack thereof has there been anymore talk as to more expansion after SWL and TSL? I'd agree this park has enough E-tickets but we need more dark rides or really a water ride imho. As for TSL if the Disney execs go up on stage at D23 in 2017 and says this is up to cars land standards it'll get real ugly real fast on here...

Phicinfan

Speaking of total ride numbers or in this case lack thereof has there been anymore talk as to more expansion after SWL and TSL? I'd agree this park has enough E-tickets but we need more dark rides or really a water ride imho. As for TSL if the Disney execs go up on stage at D23 in 2017 and says this is up to cars land standards it'll get real ugly real fast on here...
While I agree we need more dark rides, and I would love a water ride, I have to ask, where would a water ride fit in? Not in SWL, and as far as TSL? No. I am all for adding rides, but at some point they need to lock the "theme" of this park. If it is "Hollywood" related, not sure how a water ride really fits in. At least in a Disney IP.

Brian Swan

Where's our Roger Rabbit equivalent dark ride then? TSMM? That's been there since 2008. I would've loved our own Toontown. This isn't it.
IMHO, Toontown is one of the most perfectly themed, immersive, "lands" in any of the domestic Disney parks. And RRCS is the most enjoyable of all of the "movie dark rides" on either coast. If TSL could come even close to Toontown in theming, I would be a happy camper. And FWIW, I've ridden Mater in DCA, and even though it's "only" a flat carnival-style ride, it's actually a whole lot of fun; I'm looking forward to the flying saucer incarnation at DHS. Would I like to have seen a more ambitious dark ride in TSL - of course I would. But I'm not ready to write the whole thing off based on a single piece of concept art...

Mike S

IMHO, Toontown is one of the most perfectly themed, immersive, "lands" in any of the domestic Disney parks. And RRCS is the most enjoyable of all of the "movie dark rides" on either coast. If TSL could come even close to Toontown in theming, I would be a happy camper. And FWIW, I've ridden Mater in DCA, and even though it's "only" a flat carnival-style ride, it's actually a whole lot of fun; I'm looking forward to the flying saucer incarnation at DHS. Would I like to have seen a more ambitious dark ride in TSL - of course I would. But I'm not ready to write the whole thing off based on a single piece of concept art...
I've ridden and enjoyed Mater as well. The difference of course being that Cars Land also has RSR so nobody really cares that Mater is a flat ride. It's an extra, not a main thing like how it'll be in the new TSL.

clemmo

While I agree we need more dark rides, and I would love a water ride, I have to ask, where would a water ride fit in? Not in SWL, and as far as TSL? No. I am all for adding rides, but at some point they need to lock the "theme" of this park. If it is "Hollywood" related, not sure how a water ride really fits in. At least in a Disney IP.
There's only a few ip's that could work nemo and frozen being two of them but obviously they're already over used and in other parks. The only other one that comes to mind would be if moana becomes a big hit. I agree though overall there's not many ip's that work for water rides in general. You could always go non ip but that's not really the direction DHS is going

Phicinfan

There's only a few ip's that could work nemo and frozen being two of them but obviously they're already over used and in other parks. The only other one that comes to mind would be if moana becomes a big hit. I agree though overall there's not many ip's that work for water rides in general. You could always go non ip but that's not really the direction DHS is going
Yeah, never thought of Moana, that could have a shot. Not sure how Frozen would fit(yeah I know they did it for epcot), Nemo is another idea too, but I agree those are already done.

I just HOPE that with this new expansion there is a set direction for theme, if its Hollywood experience or theater experience or Movie experience, then have the appropriate tie ins for the attractions.

clemmo

Perhaps--assuming the big DHS rebirth is more than the four rides we know of.
There's not really any dark rides coming as there's an e-ticket simulator in SWL and then there's the other ride in that land which i'm not sure what ride system will be used. In TSL we have a small coaster and a whip ride. So no real classic dark ride. I'd love for a trackless ride like rat in WDSP and BATB coming to Tokyo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom