Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MerlinTheGoat

The coaster i'd say doesn't look "bad", it could potentially be a fun little ride. Certainly not as offensive as another spinner. But I wouldn't say it's anything special either. It's a family coaster and somewhat larger in size than the normal kiddie types, but the scenery looks to be comparable to Barnstormer and isn't anything to brag about. It's a minor step above carnie rides at least (i'm at least a little relieved it's not an exact clone of Playland), but it's well below the likes of Big Thunder or even 7 Dwarfs Mine Train (which i'm already very critical of) in terms of scenery.

I'm somewhat lukewarm on Toy Story Land. I don't really like or hate it. That again is a step up from how I feel about the existing Playland variants of this (which i'm actually offended by and detest entirely), but I had hoped that Pixar would have at least one semi major or major ride. I hope VERY much that they've still got some surprises, but i wouldn't assume so.

lazyboy97o

Original fantasyland expansion. A brand new Peter Pan was supposed to be built along with pixie hollow. A new dark ride was suppose to go in the snow white building
You are greatly exaggerating the post-announcement changes to New Fantasyland. None of this was part of the original announcement that was changed. This land is being built because it is something that can be done quickly and cheaply as a stopgap until the Star Wars stuff comes online.

Kman101

I might be the only one- but I actually wish they would've incorporated RC Racers and even Toy Soldier Parachute drop. RC is a fun little ride, and the two of them cost practically nothing to add them to the mix- both in cost (~$50 mil) and footprint.
It would have been great for adding more capacity and really fleshed this out to an area with little to no waits (outside of the coaster which is likely to be 7DMT brutal).

Overall, I really like it. And I, too, am like the others and hope they create another Pixar area. I'm also very very glad they didn't do cars land. I like uniqueness where I can get it for WDW and DL.

After really looking at the high res concept art, TSL looks really fleshed out.

And looking at the Slinky Dog coaster, I'm impressed by it's clear length. I agree they could have included Parachute Drop and RC Racer. They already have a Parachute Drop-esque part of the coaster. Just create it so you can have a queue and walkway and boom ... and same for RC Racer. Both could have possibly have been included in the coaster yet also be their own stand alone rides but I do like what they've come up with.

It's a much more thorough land than I think some are realizing. Yeah two versions already exist but this one seems like a bit more thought was put into it. The scale of it looks to be impressive.

I'm curious about the Woody area. It's clearly themed after his Woody's Roundup show (I'm concerned now that Big Al's could be his meet and greet but I hope it's the store) but there is what looks to be an entrance to something and a showbuilding behind the frontier facade. Did they chop Woody's Roundup ride or is that to come as a surprise later? It's the perfect spot for it.

In the Buzz area you can clearly see a restaurant with tables outside (hi, Pizza Planet!) and next to the Alien flying saucers you can see what's probably Buzz's new large meet and greet with a showbuilding behind it.

AEfx

You are greatly exaggerating the post-announcement changes to New Fantasyland. None of this was part of the original announcement that was changed. This land is being built because it is something that can be done quickly and cheaply as a stopgap until the Star Wars stuff comes online.

Yeah, I don't know where those ideas are coming from. Nothing I ever heard, from the moment that SWSA was on the block it was to become a M&G, I definitely remember as SWSA was my favorite ride. The only thing that kept me off a plane with a pitchfork on my way to WDW was that they were putting another Snow White ride in.

At this point, I don't think we can expect anything that has been announced to be "taken back". This is major news, it's already on the front page of CNN, this stuff is legit and they really can't take it back.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I don't know where those ideas are coming from. Nothing I ever heard, from the moment that SWSA was on the block it was to become a M&G, I definitely remember as SWSA was my favorite ride. The only thing that kept me off a plane with a pitchfork on my way to WDW was that they were putting another Snow White ride in.

At this point, I don't think we can expect anything that has been announced to be "taken back". This is major news, it's already on the front page of CNN, this stuff is legit and they really can't take it back.
I don't think Disney is afraid of taking stuff back. The Cars Dine-In Theater very quickly got a lot of play and very quickly was taken back. But doing that here would undermine the whole goal of getting more into the park in a timely manner. A coaster can be built in less than a year. This land really should be open in about two years.

Kman101

The coaster i'd say doesn't look "bad", it could potentially be a fun little ride. Certainly not as offensive as another spinner. But I wouldn't say it's anything special either. It's a family coaster and somewhat larger in size than the normal kiddie types, but the scenery looks to be comparable to Barnstormer and isn't anything to brag about. It's a minor step above carnie rides at least (i'm at least a little relieved it's not an exact clone of Playland), but it's well below the likes of Big Thunder or even 7 Dwarfs Mine Train (which i'm already very critical of) in terms of scenery.

I'm somewhat lukewarm on Toy Story Land. I don't really like or hate it. That again is a step up from how I feel about the existing Playland variants of this (which i'm actually offended by and detest entirely), but I had hoped that Pixar would have at least one semi major or major ride. I hope VERY much that they've still got some surprises, but i wouldn't assume so.

If you haven't, look at the high res concept art. I was meh too but it's really growing on me. The length of the coaster looks surprisingly long. Yeah it's not the most thrilling but I also am not ready to call it a kiddy coaster on the level of Barnstormer.

It's not the most thrilling but this Toy Story Land looks far more detailed and fleshed out than the others. Let's hope it lives up to the concept art. I know many see the toys aspect as 'cheap' and I sort of agree but really, what else can they do for Toy Story? They're giving me a lot of what I'd like to see in a land like this.

I want another section, like Cars-lite where LMA is (doesn't that and Catastrophe just BEG for Cars?) but I'm starting to like Toy Story Land.

I think what could have impressed me more is maybe working RC and Parachute Drop into the layout of the coaster because I think the park needs rides like this, whether I personally want them or not.

I say we all give Toy Story Land a shot. JMO.

Kman101

So uninspired and bland. This isn't what DHS needed. I hope they have more in store.

Not really. Study the high res art. I was meh too but it's growing on me. The park needs family rides. I want somethign else on top of this too but we all know the park needs to be fleshed out and these rides do that. At least they're slightly different than the other Toy Story Playlands out there. It looks to be much more detailed and fleshed out. JMO

Kman101

I don't think that Al's Toy Barn and Pizza Planet are part of this. It wouldn't make any sense thematically, since we're meant to be the size of a toy in this land...

The concept art shows otherwise, IMO. I agree with you but it could be versions of them. Don't have to be exact replicas. Al's Toy Barn has a handle on top of it's roof like a toy box. I can't really explain Pizza Planet but there is a food service location that looks similar.

Sometimes we take things too literally with the theme. It's a kids toy land. I'm going to go with it.

Sage of Time

Not really. Study the high res art. I was meh too but it's growing on me. The park needs family rides. I want somethign else on top of this too but we all know the park needs to be fleshed out and these rides do that. At least they're slightly different than the other Toy Story Playlands out there. It looks to be much more detailed and fleshed out. JMO
I looked at it. I think Disney needs to look beyond kiddie rides at this point.

Bairstow

If SlinkyDog does turn out to be a Gerstlauer in the same class as Firechaser at Dollywood, I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Kman101

Not everything can be a thrill ride. I wanted to see a couple of dark rides as a part of this expansion, personally, but I'm not hating on Toy Story because I didn't get what I wanted.

At least it's not the even cheaper lands Hong Kong and Paris got.

The park NEEDS rides like this. It has thrill rides.

The park needs more than this, but it's a great start. But hey, it's not going to be for everyone.

I think opinions will change when it opens.

ProjectXBlog

yeah aside from the extra track at midway mania (which i'm only excited for since it'll help with wait times) and the general theming of the area, it's a little lackluster. that being said, it's a great start for an area that needs the expansion, and hopefully we'll see it grow over the years. time will tell. but i'd rather have this over an empty backlot tour any day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom