Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

champdisney

TSL181008.jpg
Chillin.

MerlinTheGoat

If you haven't, look at the high res concept art. I was meh too but it's really growing on me. The length of the coaster looks surprisingly long. Yeah it's not the most thrilling but I also am not ready to call it a kiddy coaster on the level of Barnstormer.

It's not the most thrilling but this Toy Story Land looks far more detailed and fleshed out than the others. Let's hope it lives up to the concept art. I know many see the toys aspect as 'cheap' and I sort of agree but really, what else can they do for Toy Story? They're giving me a lot of what I'd like to see in a land like this.

I want another section, like Cars-lite where LMA is (doesn't that and Catastrophe just BEG for Cars?) but I'm starting to like Toy Story Land.

I think what could have impressed me more is maybe working RC and Parachute Drop into the layout of the coaster because I think the park needs rides like this, whether I personally want them or not.

I say we all give Toy Story Land a shot. JMO.
I have seen the highres concept art. I don't judge an attraction by its thrill level, but by the quality and quantity of theming involved. Most people probably wouldn't consider Big Thunder a major thrill, but it stands on its own because of the scenery. And there are numerous non-thrill rides that are top tier attractions. Not seeing much to interest me regarding Slinky though in terms of visual impact, even less so than 7DMT. Its length looks to be a welcome thing, and again it's better than carnie rides. But still wish it wasn't so bare. Or that Pixar got another ride or two (something more on the level of RSR or Mystic Manor).

I actually hate Toy Story Playland (like actually hate to the point of being mildly offended, the prospect of seeing it cloned at WDW scared the crap out of me). Only thing worse is probably Dinorama. On the contrary though, i'm somewhat indifferent about Toy Story Land (the DHS variant). That's obviously a considerably less negative feeling than the strong dislike I have for the Playland variant at HKDL and DLP, but it's also hardly a resounding bit of praise either. It's a land that was bad, but is now just moderately less bad (mediocre), still isn't what I expect from Disney quality.

Had I not gone into this fearing Playland so much, I think i'd probably have been more disappointed by this. Playland was just such a bottom of the barrel frightening thing that I was hoping for ANYTHING better. It really doesn't take that much to come up with a better plan, and my low expectations are likely why i'm not more against Toy Story Land right now. I can't really blame anyone that is disappointed with it. The relief I have for it will probably wane eventually and get replaced by a nagging disappointment.

I'm glad Star Wars was finally announced here and looks impressive (even though it may not end up being as good as the concept art). That really saved the event (apart from seeing a tiny bit more of Avatar).

Last edited:

bakntime

Although the announcements are exciting, to me, an announcement describing the vision for the park would have been greater. Yes, we know what is going in, but what is the story? We now have the Hollywood that never was and always will be, an expanded Pixar presence, and Star Wars Land. I did not expect an entire reveal, but all this seems to be a hodgepodge of IPs.
They did somewhat address this during the presentation, though I don't recall exactly when, but they said something to the effect that they were going to move away from the "production studio" aspect and move more towards taking you inside the movies (like they already do with GMR, ToT, Star Tours, etc). So it's going to be more like a "live the movies" park than a "studio."

I like it.

Magic Feather

A few thoughts:
1: In the upper cornerner, where TSL "ends" the path splits in two directions. One towards present back stage areas, and if my spacing is right, one toward BLT's old entrance. I believe this means that A- more TSL rides or B- More Expansion other than Star Wars

2: Same area seems to have a water feature

3: Battleship Game Building- What is it?

invader

They did somewhat address this during the presentation, though I don't recall exactly when, but they said something to the effect that they were going to move away from the "production studio" aspect and move more towards taking you inside the movies (like they already do with GMR, ToT, Star Tours, etc). So it's going to be more like a "live the movies" park than a "studio."

I like it.
Isn't that a Uni tag line?

ctrlaltdel

A few thoughts:
1: In the upper cornerner, where TSL "ends" the path splits in two directions. One towards present back stage areas, and if my spacing is right, one toward BLT's old entrance. I believe this means that A- more TSL rides or B- More Expansion other than Star Wars

2: Same area seems to have a water feature

3: Battleship Game Building- What is it?
I noticed the same thing regarding the edge of the map.

Bairstow

That's still really not enough, considering how much has closed in DHS.

Even before they started closing stuff the park never really got to Magic Kingdom, or even Epcot levels of size, but you're right- more is always better.

You know, if I were them I'd open Cinemagique as a stopgap measure.
It's a people-eater and a suitable theater could be built in months if they wanted to, providing they could carve out a space for it.

lazyboy97o

I think this land would be fine for little kids. I don't think every ride needs to be a "E" Ticket. The aim of the Toy Story Land Expansion to me was giving people more kid friendly rides and take less pressure off Toy Story Midway Mania.

While I think there needs be dark rides, I don't think Toy Story is the ideal Pixar IP for that compare to Brave as an example.
A launched roller coaster is not exactly the most kid friendly of ride systems.

Haymarket2008

So this'll realistically be a solid 1.5 to 2 year build? Doesn't seem too extensive in terms of architecture and design. The leveling and relocation of backstage areas will be the time consumer.

lazyboy97o

There are other launching family coasters. Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood has launches and a height limit of 39 inches. Top speed is 34 miles per hour.
That's right in line with Star Tours and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. One ride doesn't make the park unfriendly towards kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom