Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bakntime

There are other launching family coasters. Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood has launches and a height limit of 39 inches. Top speed is 34 miles per hour.
The concept art reminds me a bit of Pony Express at Knotts Berry Farm, only with regular seats instead of horse seats. At first I thought the TS coaster was on scale with Barnstormer, but it's clearly bigger than that, and probably more on par with Big Thunder. Might actually be fun for adults.

bakntime

I'm convinced Slinky Dog Coaster is a junior Intamin LSM. Same track, same sort of ride layout, same ride vehicles.
Yes, basically a smaller scale version of California Screamin (which is also Intamin), minus the inversion.

Screamin even has a powered horizontal launch that goes up a hill right after, and later a LSM powered "slow" lift hill. It looks like the Toy Story coaster might have both of those elements (in reverse order), but again, just on a smaller scale.

Last edited:

invader

Yes, basically a smaller scale version of California Screamin (which is also Intamin), minus the inversion.

Screamin even has a powered launch that goes up a hill right after, and a LSM powered "slow" lift hill. It looks like the Toy Story coaster might have both of those elements (in reverse order), but again, just on a smaller scale.
Yeah Screamin is what really made me convinced. Look at the sample on ride footage they showed at the announcement and then look at pictures/video of Cheetah Hunt. Nearly identical. Those two mixed with the fact that Intamin is who made the half pipes at the other TSPL makes me really think it is Intamin. I'm actually getting more and more excited about this land the more I look at it.

Donald Razorduck

If you zoom in, I see what could be a paratrooper tower right in the center of the pic at the very top, I see what appears to be a play area at the top right of the pic, and at the furthest left of the coaster, I see what could be seen as an RC Racer. I wonder if they considered these not important enough to announce at this time but as added features later on in the build out.

bakntime

If you zoom in, I see what could be a paratrooper tower right in the center of the pic at the very top, I see what appears to be a play area at the top right of the pic, and at the furthest left of the coaster, I see what could be seen as an RC Racer. I wonder if they considered these not important enough to announce at this time but as added features later on in the build out.
Based on the positioning, I think the paratrooper drop thing is just more decoration/scenery for the coaster. There's definitely something in the far back, though, that looks like it could be a ride entrance or maybe it's just restrooms lol.

This thing:

Attachments

• toystoryland2.jpg
    toystoryland2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 181

rioriz

I do not know if anyone has mentioned this yet cause but does anyone see the similarity in layout to Hong Kong Big Grizzly Mountain....they have rights to the themed ride but not necessarily the coaster itself...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

They are interactive elements that go along with the coaster. They were mentioned in the presentation.

bakntime

I do not know if anyone has mentioned this yet cause but does anyone see the similarity in layout to Hong Kong Big Grizzly Mountain....they have rights to the themed ride but not necessarily the coaster itself...
I think Big Grizzly is more of a Big Thunder clone, though, whereas concept seems to show this coaster has a different track type and LSM (linear motors) to power the lift hill and/or a horizontal speed launch section.

rioriz

I think Big Grizzly is more of a Big Thunder clone, though, whereas concept seems to show this coaster has a different track type and LSM (linear motors) to power the lift hill and/or a horizontal speed launch section.

Agree I didn't check it out enough. I thought the part with the yellow rings over the track looked like the backwards slide of Grizzly

whiterhino42

I'd like another ride or two in this land. For those of us who don't ride coasters it's kind of a let down. Interested to hear more about the alien ride.

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
Makes sense. However, assuming that the LMA practice area is used on a regular basis, I'm curious if all practice activities can be shifted to the actual performance arena or offsite?

If not, then it seems LMA could close sooner than later and there would be one less major attraction during TSP construction.
The LMA practice area, leading Up to the current set up was the Epcot parking lot, no reason they couldn't use it again until the show gets axed.

Steel City Magic

I'm averse to toy story land to be honest. Star wars is ok but I was hoping for pixar land. Too many dedicated IP "lands" when it should be a single ride per IP in MOST cases. Especially with these acquisitions. Have a pixar land, marvel land, and lucas land (or Star wars). Not avatar land, cars land (though done beautifully), or toy story land. These should all be single attractions, not lands imho... they did it pretty right back in the day with disney animation lan... I mean fantasyland...

Last edited:

ctrlaltdel

We already have a "live the movies" park. Its called MK. I'm averse to toy story land to be honest. Star wars is ok but I was hoping for pixar land. Too many dedicated IP "lands" when it should be a single ride per IP in MOST cases.
I think Disney's thought process might have been to focus more on immersive aspects of a single IP rather than an entire brand. I was really hoping for a Pixar Land as well, but how do you pull that together? I'm sure it's possible, but, in the end they took their most popular Pixar franchise and decided to make a themed land out of it. It does fit better into their "living the movies" plan for DHS. There could still be something really good for the new section that's inevitably coming in between TSL and SWL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom