Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Haymarket2008

Looking at the art and some Google Maps it looks like it all but takes over One Man's Dream and Voyage...so work on this should be starting sooner than later since they are rumored to close in September.

Bocabear

I expect there to be more full fledged lands as well as mini-lands (a la 'a bugs land'). And they are smart to save space for more upcoming films. Incredibles is sure to be on their minds. Cars seems to be a definite what with the franchise reaching its 3rd film soon.
Yeah but by the time they get around to building anything, the films will be long gone. It has been 20 years since Toy Story came out…so maybe after it has been 20 years (2024) we will get something meager themed to The Incredibles… I agree the Star Wars announcement sounds interesting but also over hyped…and Toy Story Playland with two rides…Meh. Is there even any timeline for this stuff?

Haymarket2008

That's the problem. Toy Story is going to be a big chunk of this and all of the other movies that are new or popular are going to be rotated or squeezed in somehow. Making DHS sort of what it was before.... a mix of a lot of different things. Conceptually like I said earlier, they could've had an Andy's room area, Monstropolis, Metroville, etc.... where you can go from land to land and movie to movie... but no. We just have Toy Story in a big way for right now.

ETA: Can they turn the Dinosaur Ice Cream Shop into Dinoco Gas Station that sells ice cream?

I totally agree. That is the true downside to a full fledged land. Hopefully the idea of what you said is eventually is built. There's still some hope for that.

Evolution

Yeah but by the time they get around to building anything, the films will be long gone. It has been 20 years since Toy Story came out…so maybe after it has been 20 years (2024) we will get something meager themed to The Incredibles… I agree the Star Wars announcement sounds interesting but also over hyped…and Toy Story Playland with two rides…Meh. Is there even any timeline for this stuff?

Toy Story 4 is being released in 2017. The movie is obviously still very relevant. But I agree, they should really be looking at the potential of other IPs.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I hope the slinky dog coaster works like a slinking dog. It would be cool if the front took off and then the back sling shot forward and then pushed the front forward and kept going with that kind of "slinky" motion. That would be innovative and make me think this is only something Disney could do.
That just makes me think of being stuck in traffic. Stop go stop go. I feel motion sick just thinking about it.

Kevin_W

Yes the current balance of the Studios is very poor, a family coaster is much needed, along with some E-Ticket stuff of course :)
Yes! Having psent time int he park with an <40" child... no RnRC, no ToT, GMR to scary, can ride TSMM but to young/short to operate the controls herself... it was a bit limiting.

mousehockey37

Toy Story 4 is being released in 2017. The movie is obviously still very relevant. But I agree, they should really be looking at the potential of other IPs.

Right. It seems that they are willing to now start spending the money necessary to put different attractions in different parks (aside from Star Wars lands in both DLR and DHS) to try and pull people to one park or another, not just which one is closer to them.

That said, there's a bunch of Pixar movies out there that could be used.

schuelma

Looking at the art and some Google Maps it looks like it all but takes over One Man's Dream and Voyage...so work on this should be starting sooner than later since they are rumored to close in September.

Hmm..to me it looked like it was more straight back from TSM.

Haymarket2008

Hmm..to me it looked like it was more straight back from TSM.

I thought the same, but if you look at the entrance in the bottom middle, that seems to be the space between TSMM and the former Jack Sparrow building. Which means the further entrance, to the far right, would put that VERY close to Animation Courtyard.

AEfx

Right. It seems that they are willing to now start spending the money necessary to put different attractions in different parks (aside from Star Wars lands in both DLR and DHS) to try and pull people to one park or another, not just which one is closer to them.

I don't think that's really why. It's more that Cars is a very close attraction to Test Track, if anything.

Disney knows that to most folks, they don't choose between the two locations. They naturally go to one or the other. The amount of people who are at WDW on any given day that have ever been to (or will ever go to) Disneyland, or any other Disney park location, is minuscule. It's only a concern that Internet fans have, not one that actually has any real world basis.

Fox&Hound

The other side of Pixar Place feels awkward now though, so I'm guessing something more is going to be announced.

What do you mean? It seems like where Pixar place is currently will become backstage. This new toy story area will be the new pixar place. That's it....

ToTBellHop

Thought I would move this over here where it belongs--the new Slinky Dog coaster features a mid-course launch which should up the excitement (and wait times) considerably. You can see "SUPER LAUNCHER" written on the walkway ("toy") above the launch, which is surrounded by rings.
image.jpg
pic stolen from danlb

Last edited:

Incomudro

The movie (Toy Story) is timeless.
It's the first great classic cgi animated movie and it hit all the right buttons.
I love virtually all of the Pixar films, but realizing it from Disneys perspective - if you're going to build a land based on one, I'd choose Toy Story too.
Well, I'd choose Cars first but...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's nice to know that they're really only focusing on Hollywood Studios right now.. Disney seems to do better when they only focus on one big project at once.. Rather than two big projects in two parks at the same time. With the exception of Frozen at Epcot.. But I still don't think that's really a big-scale thing. A big scale upgrade for Epcot would be the entire Future World, or something large enough to replace Energy and Wonders of Life.

El Grupo

This does not account for one large parcel in the expansion we've been hearing about, so I think we will get one more land, they just are t ready to announce it. I think Toy Story Land will come first in a couple years and then LMA and Catastrophe Canyon will be demolished for the final component of the new park along with Star Wars Land. But, this is just a hunch.

Makes sense. However, assuming that the LMA practice area is used on a regular basis, I'm curious if all practice activities can be shifted to the actual performance arena or offsite?

If not, then it seems LMA could close sooner than later and there would be one less major attraction during TSP construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom