Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

note2001

While I was on board with the concept initially, TSL has become a joke in my household. With every day that passes it's feeling more and more like this project is headed in the same direction of a high school book report that is created by stealing notes from cliff notes and piecemealing them together 2 hours before it is due. :( Although in Disney's case, they still have time to rescue it. But will they?

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Many have said that it is wrong, yet, there are so many examples of things that Walt did that everyone thought was crazy. Disneyland being one of the biggest. He didn't always reach out and ask what the pulse of the nation was, he did what he thought he wanted and felt that others would think so too. He was right many times, but, he also had some pretty gigantic failures along the way that almost ruined the company more then once. If we are all going to quote history so much, lets make sure we know what the history actually was.

I'm aware that none of the current management is blessed with the intuition that he had most of the time, but, to say that everything was done just as everyone wanted is no more accurate then saying the they should be listening to a few fans now.

I appreciate your insight, but I wasn't quoting history. I was speaking more to the current management state of mind.

Goofyernmost

I appreciate your insight, but I wasn't quoting history. I was speaking more to the current management state of mind.
Yes, sir... I know, however, the implication is that Walt kept his finger on the pulse of the nation in making his decisions. That he responded to what the people wanted. He kept his finger on his own pulse and happily, it very often corresponded with the wants of the public. Sometimes they didn't even know they wanted it until he showed them that it was good. Like I said, the main difference today is two fold. One, they have to answer to someone higher then themselves. They are not their own bosses, there are millions of others that must be kept happy in order to keep their lucrative jobs. Second, they lack the "gift" that Walt had, the gift of incredible imagination. They don't have that. They have book savvy, but, nothing else and have no touch with reality. They are not able or secure enough to make the kind of decisions that Walt made. A lot of their success is just a lucky accident in my opinion. When you look at some of the recent decisions concerning the parks, it becomes obvious that they haven't got a clue.

Goofyernmost

As there is no "logical" way to connect TSL and SWL, I'm guessing the tunnel will have essentially zero theming and will serve as nothing more than a visual barrier between two disparate lands.
I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I can imagine any number of ways to make the transition through the tunnel in theme. There is nothing more mysterious then going into a void with the anticipation of what is on the other end. It would take very little to have the tunnel become more foreboding the closer you get to the end.

The concept is nothing new really. If you want to see a big one just think of the Railroad Station and tunnel in MK.

Kman101

While I was on board with the concept initially, TSL has become a joke in my household. With every day that passes it's feeling more and more like this project is headed in the same direction of a high school book report that is created by stealing notes from cliff notes and piecemealing them together 2 hours before it is due. :( Although in Disney's case, they still have time to rescue it. But will they?

I'm disappointed too. I was a supporter of the land because it was slightly different (as different as this type of land could be from the other two that exist), we had what looked like more theming (areas for Buzz and Woody), larger space to walk around than the others (I haven't been to either so I'm assuming ours is bigger), the Slinky Dog coaster seemed to have some promise (yes some will dismiss it but sorry, this park needs a family coaster; not everything is going to be Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Space Mountain) and the dueling Claw ride with the Aliens was a clone of the popular Mater's ride ... it all had much more promise than many gave it credit for. But now?

I'm pretty bummed they've cut the theming around the coaster, changed the coaster a bit, cut the Woody area .... just a shame all around. I think it's a big mistake but they can get away with it because the land will still be a hit whether folks here think it will or not.

The land also needed a third new ride, to give the land four rides. But I don't know that I'd want RC or Parachute Drop. I think either could have been worked into the area around Slinky to have it be part of the scenery yet also an attraction.

I wouldn't mind the coaster theming getting gutted (and a lot of it was probably just artistic anyway) but the loss of the Woody area at the entrance is my biggest bummer. What a mistake.

Kman101

LOL. I love when people start harping on it being "negativity".

I'm not a negative person in the slightest. Last I checked we were allowed to say what we feel. You don't have to like it but constantly being called out as "negative" (and vice versa with the "pixie duster" mantra) gets old. When I can't contribute to a thread I don't post. So to just come on here and say "the negativity is old" isn't contributing to this thread. JMO. It's your opinion, of course and we're all entitled to it. (not trying to be a jerk GoofyDad and you weren't probably directing anything towards me but ...)

Anyway .... yes, it is based on concept art. I'm not basing anything off of that Slinky dog video. Was that even a new video or was it the same one they showed 9 months ago? (I'm off to re-watch them because I was really sick this week so I might have not paid as close attention).

I have every right to be disappointed. I was looking forward to an expanded Toy Story Land that had a Woody's area. I was really looking on the bright side with this land as much as I could. I'm sure I'll be just fine walking around it when it opens but it's just a bummer we always lose out.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
LOL. I love when people start harping on it being "negativity".

I'm not a negative person in the slightest. Last I checked we were allowed to say what we feel. You don't have to like it but constantly being called out as "negative" (and vice versa with the "pixie duster" mantra) gets old. When I can't contribute to a thread I don't post. So to just come on here and say "the negativity is old" isn't contributing to this thread. JMO. It's your opinion, of course and we're all entitled to it. (not trying to be a jerk GoofyDad and you weren't probably directing anything towards me but ...)

Anyway .... yes, it is based on concept art. I'm not basing anything off of that Slinky dog video. Was that even a new video or was it the same one they showed 9 months ago? (I'm off to re-watch them because I was really sick this week so I might have not paid as close attention).

I have every right to be disappointed. I was looking forward to an expanded Toy Story Land that had a Woody's area. I was really looking on the bright side with this land as much as I could. I'm sure I'll be just fine walking around it when it opens but it's just a bummer we always lose out.
If TSL has lesser theming than art of animation, it'll be a crime and that's what it's starting to look like. Also when Disney has imagineers take the stage and compare this to a "cars land level of detail" and then are far off from that target in execution, they have opened themselves up to the criticism. I am hoping the cuts aren't nearly as drastic of a change as we now think, but everyone needs to try to be objective critics, and that is what I believe most "negative" comments have been.

Kman101

If TSL has lesser theming than art of animation, it'll be a crime and that's what it's starting to look like. Also when Disney has imagineers take the stage and compare this to a "cars land level of detail" and then are far off from that target in execution, they have opened themselves up to the criticism. I am hoping the cuts aren't nearly as drastic of a change as we now think, but everyone needs to try to be objective critics, and that is what I believe most "negative" comments have been.

LOL at "less theming than art of animation" but probably not far off in that. And how could Mangum really call it "cars land level of detail" with a straight face? I mean, I sort of get it because the main ride takes you around the land. The trenches could have helped make it better and now that's all gone so it's just going to come off as too flat. So it sort of takes away the little immersion it would have had. They completely opened themselves up to criticisim.

Again, a lot of it could have been artistic liberty and wasn't going to be included from the start (the trenches, the massive amount of toys scattered around the coaster), we don't know, but cutting an entire little area that would have gone a long way for immersion? Very dumb.

I agree being an objective critic. I think it won't be quite as awful as some think but the loss of the Woody area bothers me the most. Don't release impressive (to me, stop everyone, LOL) concept art and then slash it all and not expect it to be discussed or criticized. Do they hope no one notices? Can we start whining about it louder and hope it gets added back in? (Stop laughing everyone, I know they don't care or listen, but I'd really love to get something going to make these people listen -- not just for this land but for how WDW constantly does this to us, cuts, upcharges, etc. lack of maintenance ...).

Kman101

I'm surprised they didn't add more family friendly rides like a carousel and spinner rides based on the TS characters.

Another mistake.

I remember when rumors first started, back in the day, we heard about a toy carousel and a Bullseye/Woody ride based on Mater's and the "Buzz ride" (probably The Claw) would have been like the new Luigi's ride. I wish we'd gotten all of that instead of a dueling Alien Swirling Saucers (the name's growing on me as is Slinky Dog Dash but I don't think they're the most impressive of names). They clearly combined the idea of the two into the dueling Mater's clone.

lazyboy97o

Degine detail. It is not inherently visually intricacy, interest and ornament. Enlarged plastic toys have a set aesthetic and that was never going to be different.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Degine detail. It is not inherently visually intricacy, interest and ornament. Enlarged plastic toys have a set aesthetic and that was never going to be different.
I understand that toys looks different than rock work etc... But if the amount and placement is getting scaled back, then they will under deliver. No one is debating that toys have a different aesthetic. Doesn't mean poor execution is excused, especially after hyping this up to be so much more.

lazyboy97o

I understand that toys looks different than rock work etc... But if the amount and placement is getting scaled back, then they will under deliver. No one is debating that toys have a different aesthetic. Doesn't mean poor execution is excused, especially after hyping this up to be so much more.
Even just having piles of stuff is not inherently good design. The far bigger issue is the baseless, unrealistic collective fantasy that was created.

note2001

All of this negativity is coming from a concept video?
My disappointment, I won't call it negativity as there is still hope, stems from a combination of seemingly changed artwork (Disney's conceptual art doesn't change without reason) and the time it's taken for us to see any progress in clearing out backstage so they can build. I can't help but feel that had they wanted to wow and amaze verses giving us lip service and pulling this together at the last moment, that whole process would have gone much faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom