Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

YodaMan

Even if they started having the rides built offsite and are ready to be put in place soon, which is probably unlikely, could it even be done by the end of this year?

I'm curious about this as well. Looking at the new concept art, it seems like the entrance to the land has even been modified enough that they might not even be planning to take out Jack Sparrow or OMD anymore (isn't that likely the TSMM building butting up directly to the entrance path?). And like Herbie said, they've cut the gift shop that was supposed to be the exit to TSMM, they've cut the Woody section which I imagine was some kind of show/store/food location, they've removed the bathroom, and they've cut the trenches and most of the theming from Slinky. If this is all just an attempt to save money, I'll be sorely disappointed. But if this is somehow an attempt to add ride capacity to Studios in a fairly quick manner, then maybe I could kinda sorta let it slide.

Thessair

The concept art on the official parks website seems to show that Al's Toy Barn and Woody's area have been cut.
d23-toy-story-land.jpg

TSL-Overview.jpg

How could they settle for this?

Surely they are panicking over the lack of a gift shop.

Wow. They are slashing this thing to the bone. After this and the move, I wonder if Star Wars is as safe as it appears.

MagicHappens1971

Also, they're going to have to remove the Pixar studios sign in front and remove all the facades with that theming before TSL opens, so wouldn't that mean TSMM would also have to close temporarily? But the entrance for TSMM is being rerouted anyway, right?

CrescentLake

Look at the bottom of the concept art. It seems that there is a path entering into the old Pixar Studios area. What could that be? It veers left a bit. Perhaps thats just the way the path works through the old OMD building.

YodaMan

Look at the bottom of the concept art. It seems that there is a path entering into the old Pixar Studios area. What could that be? It veers left a bit. Perhaps thats just the way the path works through the old OMD building.

I assume it's actually the exit to TSMM. This version of the concept art seems a lot closer to scale than the original version. It looks like the new entrance to TSMM will be the red "box" which will lead to a new extended queue (those 3 square buildings) that then feed into the current queue in Soundstage 2. Then you either ride on the new track that's being built in Soundstage 1 off to the left of the image and exit behind what we assume is the restaurant (notice the weird path behind the restaurant building) or you ride on the existing track in Soundstage 3 off to the right of the image and exit out directly into the entrance to Toy Story Land (which originally would have been the Toy Barn gift shop that you exited through). And then the entrance to the land would continue straight down in the bottom right corner of the image between Soundstage 3 and 4 (saving Jack Sparrow/OMD).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I assume it's actually the exit to TSMM. This version of the concept art seems a lot closer to scale than the original version. It looks like the new entrance to TSMM will be the red "box" which will lead to a new extended queue (those 3 square buildings) that then feed into the current queue in Soundstage 2. Then you either ride on the new track that's being built in Soundstage 1 off to the left and exit behind what we assume is the restaurant (notice the weird path behind the restaurant building) or you ride on the existing track in Soundstage 3 off to the right and exit out directly into the entrance to Toy Story Land (which originally would have been the Toy Barn gift shop that you exited through).

But there would need to be another entrance to the land other then through Star Wars Land.

CrescentLake

I assume it's actually the exit to TSMM. This version of the concept art seems a lot closer to scale than the original version. It looks like the new entrance to TSMM will be the red "box" which will lead to a new extended queue (those 3 square buildings) that then feed into the current queue in Soundstage 2. Then you either ride on the new track that's being built in Soundstage 1 off to the left of the image and exit behind what we assume is the restaurant (notice the weird path behind the restaurant building) or you ride on the existing track in Soundstage 3 off to the right of the image and exit out directly into the entrance to Toy Story Land (which originally would have been the Toy Barn gift shop that you exited through). And then the entrance to the land would continue straight down in the bottom right corner of the image between Soundstage 3 and 4 (saving Jack Sparrow/OMD).

This makes perfect sense, thank you! Between what you and danlb_2000 said, I think I have a much clearer picture of what they intend to do.

Mike S

I don't have too big of a problem with it as a kiddie-coaster. Barnstormer/Goofy's sky school are more barren. With a bit of effort, it could end up like Gadget's Go Coaster, which is nicely done. The purpose of this land is to add attractions for kids, and the youngest arent fond of any coasters that take place in the dark or rides with loud trains running in and out of and up and down mountains. I do think some of the original theming elements should return, but I don't think we should lose sight of the actual intention of this ride. If you're looking for something more thrilling, RNR and ToT are in the park and hopefully one of the SW attractions will add to that
I don't know about you, but I always see tons of kids in line for rides like Space, Thunder, Everest, etc. Just like Disney themselves some people just don't give kids enough credit because, well, they're just kids. What do they know?
Good thing nobody else in Orlando already ran with this theme, right? :)

EDIT:

DOH! I'm slow... That too!
iS2e1i0.png

The concept art on the official parks website seems to show that Al's Toy Barn and Woody's area have been cut.
d23-toy-story-land.jpg

TSL-Overview.jpg

How could they settle for this?

Surely they are panicking over the lack of a gift shop.
image.jpeg

They held a press event for a bunch of stuff that isn't open or is delayed. They're desperate.
If they started work when BLT closed TSL would be open by now. They made their bed.

clemmo

Tsl doesn't look good at all but at least it adds capacity and I know plenty of people that like any ride in Disney... Yes even stitchs great mistake. Any more news on phase 3? After seeing this disappointment the park really needs it badly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom