Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brian Swan

It's a pretty crappy video that looks like it was created in Rollercoaster Tycoon by someone with a limited skill set. It's clearly "concept", because there is NO rollercoaster than can exist with as little support structure as this has. And the ground details are bare sketches of what might actually be there (again, it looks like someone went to the RTC prop menu and started dropping miscellaneous "toy items" here and there around the track). I'm actually embarrassed for Disney having released this video. I've seen many "concept" videos from many other parks and some of them are so well done that it could almost be a "real" video; this one looks like a 10 year old did it. Oh, I know - here's the backstory: Andy got a computer and this is HIS design for the coaster that he's going to build in his back yard... Right?...

wdwfan757

I don't have too big of a problem with it as a kiddie-coaster. Barnstormer/Goofy's sky school are more barren. With a bit of effort, it could end up like Gadget's Go Coaster, which is nicely done. The purpose of this land is to add attractions for kids, and the youngest arent fond of any coasters that take place in the dark or rides with loud trains running in and out of and up and down mountains. I do think some of the original theming elements should return, but I don't think we should lose sight of the actual intention of this ride. If you're looking for something more thrilling, RNR and ToT are in the park and hopefully one of the SW attractions will add to that

CastleBound

They could probably throw a spinner and call it a day and it will still have lines. You have to understand which park this is going in and how desperate it is for family quality attractions.
Oh I totally agree it needs the family rides, just think the family rides should be quality as well. This seems sub-par. I have better themed family rides near me at Six Flags. I also don't think these two will level the capacity. Neither Barnstormer or Mater have long lines. Just on and off.

CastleBound

I agree. Family coasters of late tend to do well such as Firechaser Express at Dollywood but it is built on the side of a mountain and actually has a cool show scene before the second backwards launch. If Slinky Dog is just a bare coaster without the trenches as it looks I will be disappointed. I will wait until I see it but I'm not optimistic. Disney really has the opportunity to do something cool but we all know how that has gone as of late.

I think that optimism is gone for me as well. After watching that video of Slinky Dog, I'm very disappointed. I think Toy Story is a tough land to theme without it looking like junk laying all over the place. They did a good job with Honey I Shrunk the Kids, but this is a bit different considering the TS lands in other parks.

wdizneew

Apologies for the crude lines but here's an approximation of where things go based on the video and concept art. Amateur artwork courtesy of MS Paint as this is the only tool I have right now :) Any criticism/critique is welcome. (I probably made the slinky dog a bit too close to TSM)
DHS.JPG

Red = Slinky Dog Dash
Blue = Alien Swirling Saucers
Orange = TSM
Green = Star Wars Land

Smiddimizer

I'm ok with Toy Story Land, and its budget slashing from $450 to 250 million or lower (even 250 is far too much for two B-ticket rides) and a less impressive coaster. If there's no Phase Three I'll start lamenting.

FigmentForver96

Oh I totally agree it needs the family rides, just think the family rides should be quality as well. This seems sub-par. I have better themed family rides near me at Six Flags. I also don't think these two will level the capacity. Neither Barnstormer or Mater have long lines. Just on and off.
I agree about quality (although I argue these are still better then Six Flags but that's beside the point) but barnstormer and Mater are located in parks with way more family rides and more rides in general. Hollywood studios has five literally rides and only two have no heigh limit.

CastleBound

I agree about quality (although I argue these are still better then Six Flags but that's beside the point) but barnstormer and Mater are located in parks with way more family rides and more rides in general. Hollywood studios has five literally rides and only two have no heigh limit.
Good point. Just sad to see this is the quality for this park. It'll certainly make a nice area and I'm definitely excited to see it, just too bad it seems to be getting the ax here and there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Be careful - you are leaving yourself open for criticism from the elite.... :)

Not directed at you @Mike S , but it's easy to express opinions about how bad each ride will be - those type of comments will get a lot of positive reinforcements. Unless you're someone like @Siren , "defending" type comments will just be met with derision, so why bother posting. Whether a ride is good or not really takes riding it along with the intended audience. But the theming can also play a big part in enjoying the whole area - we will see how Disney does on this.

I love watching the construction process, so that is the part I'm focused on now.

There are people who are on the extremes here, those that will rally behind anything negative, and those who will say positive things about anything Disney does, but I think these people are a vocal minority. There are a lot of people here who would like to have an honest discussion about the quality of new attractions.

Disneyhead'71

There are people who are on the extremes here, those that will rally behind anything negative, and those who will say positive things about anything Disney does, but I think these people are a vocal minority. There are a lot of people here who would like to have an honest discussion about the quality of new attractions.
But hyperbolic histrionics proves to other pixie dusters that you REALLY care!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom