Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

A launched coaster can be had all in for close to $21 million today. It shows how totally out of whack Disney's expenses have become. The demands for cost savings are not entirely unwarranted.
In essence they're looking for things to cut for the right reasons but in the wrong places.

Rob562

Very good point. Would have to compact everything a little more (will try a new map later). What about having it all fit into this area:

View attachment 136793

No. Toy Story Land will not connect to, nor get anywhere near, Muppets. I admit I have no direct "insider" knowledge, but even I can tell that the TSL concept art depicts only the area bounded by TSMM to the east, the parking garage to the north, Cypress Drive to the west and Stage Lane (or thereabouts) to the south. That's it. Try plugging those points into your aerial map area calculator and see how much land you get.

Edit to add pic: Here ya go, this is 10.65 acres. Nudge the southern border a bit more south, and you get 11.

Screenshot%202016-04-05%20at%2012.46.43%20AM_zpslt8nqxrg.png

And the "mega-long exit pathway" that people are talking about to the left side of the artwork is likely just a simple alley to give backstage access from Cypress Drive, roughly recreating the access that Stage Lane gives now. The bridge over the second launch of Slinky Dog will act as both entrance and exit to the coaster.

-Rob

Last edited:

NormC

Art such as this is usually not just pulled from his air. There are "blueprints" underlaying the information.
Correct. The art shows the concept of what you might expect but is missing many details and is not always indicative of what the final product may be.

SirLink

No. Toy Story Land will not connect to, nor get anywhere near, Muppets. I admit I have no direct "insider" knowledge, but even I can tell that the TSL concept art depicts only the area bounded by TSMM to the east, the parking garage to the north, Cypress Drive to the west and Stage Lane (or thereabouts) to the south. That's it. Try plugging those points into your aerial map area calculator and see how much land you get.

Edit to add pic: Here ya go, this is 10.65 acres. Nudge the southern border a bit more south, and you get 11.

Screenshot%202016-04-05%20at%2012.46.43%20AM_zpslt8nqxrg.png

And the "mega-long exit pathway" that people are talking about to the left side of the artwork is likely just a simple alley to give backstage access from Cypress Drive, roughly recreating the access that Stage Lane gives now. The bridge over the second launch of Slinky Dog will act as both entrance and exit to the coaster.

-Rob

You have to include TSMM/Pixar Place in the 11 acre land BTW.

Brad Bishop

Very good point. Would have to compact everything a little more (will try a new map later). What about having it all fit into this area:

View attachment 136793

Are there any plans to flip the entrance around for TSMM? It seems really odd to leave it facing the way it does along that alley made by them just reusing the sound stages. It seems like they could do this in a number of ways but just rerouting the queue would be the easiest.

Jon81uk

Are there any plans to flip the entrance around for TSMM? It seems really odd to leave it facing the way it does along that alley made by them just reusing the sound stages. It seems like they could do this in a number of ways but just rerouting the queue would be the easiest.

Its been said before that the expectation is the entrance will go on the back of the building so you enter via Toy Story Land. The current Pixar Place alleyway will then become a backstage passage.

jt04

That is no 11 acres. Covering much, much, much too much land. Put the size of people into perspective: rides are too far in-between, the walk would be atrocious and they're too cheap to theme it along the way.
I compared that coaster to the RnRC building and thought for a second Disney was duplicating the great American scream machine.

AndyS2992

Toy Story Land would be perfect if they also included the Slinky Spin ride from WDS and HKDL, I love that ride. Cheap and quick to build, increases park capacity and is fun. But since the coaster is already Slinky themed this is sadly never going to happen. With all Disney expansions as of late, I always feel they are always lacking that one extra ride that would make the expansion great.

No Name

Disney pretty much tells us what goes on in their offices through concept art.

A good idea for marketing, in the future, would be to release absolutely terrible and underwhelming concept art initially, but have much greater plans in mind. For example, they should've just depicted the slinky dog coaster as a tiny little roundy round ride. A 20x20 tiny little carnival coaster. There would be some groaning but then people would point out that it's not much worse than the two other Toy Story Lands around the world, and so everyone would be at least excited about Star Wars Land, and it wouldn't be all that bad.

Then, Disney could come out with their current art and be like "We upped the plans becuase of our most recent, record quarterly profits! We want to thank all of our fans, customers, and supporters for making this possible." And it would be a huge woohoo moment among fans and temper many of the complaints and worries we see today. It also disguises any cuts that are made along the way.

Universal kind of does this. Not to that extent, but the concept art for the first Harry Potter land was underwhelming, and so the actual land exceeded expectations. It worked.

I personally hope that is never the route Disney takes because it holds them accountable for far less, and it creates a much foggier and harder to trust timeline when we look back on things. It would probably result in far more cuts in the end. But publicitywise, it's such a smart idea...

PorterRedkey

I am really upset about the changes to the slinky dog coaster. Everything that made this exposed coaster somewhat acceptable has now been cut. The trenches hid a lot of the track. Now that the lift hill has been removed, the path that went under it has also been removed. This would have helped with the traffic flow for the land while also adding some great picture spots.

I know it won't matter, but I fired off another e-mail to Georgie K. I really hope they revert back to the original design. Disney is so short-sighted these days when it comes to the WDW parks. Disney is making it very hard for me to defend them anymore. I think I may have run out of pixie dust. Which sucks!

Rob562

So another theory came to me tonight as I was telling my bf about the changed concept art:

I know it's highly unlikely, but what are the chances that the concept art on the wall is an *older* iteration of the artwork, and someone simply printed the wrong file when they made up the stuff to go on the construction wall?
That could explain Star Wars Land still showing to the left of TSL when the general line of thinking was that it's going behind Indy, and would mean that the trench and lifthill were additions and not subtractions.

I'll admit, highly unlikely and I'm definitely grasping at straws, but hey, stranger things have happened...

-Rob

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

So another theory came to me tonight as I was telling my bf about the changed concept art:

I know it's highly unlikely, but what are the chances that the concept art on the wall is an *older* iteration of the artwork, and someone simply printed the wrong file when they made up the stuff to go on the construction wall?
That could explain Star Wars Land still showing to the left of TSL when the general line of thinking was that it's going behind Indy, and would mean that the trench and lifthill were additions and not subtractions.

I'll admit, highly unlikely and I'm definitely grasping at straws, but hey, stranger things have happened...

-Rob
I hope it is something like this, but the current indications seem to point otherwise.

Cesar R M

Just found this thread. Anyone got a bulleted list of whats going on?
I dont want to waste a full week to read 144 pages (where 95% is not exactly related to the thread lol)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With all Disney expansions as of late, I always feel they are always lacking that one extra ride that would make the expansion great.
A well done D ticket dark ride would do that. Not an off the shelf carnival ride.

Just found this thread. Anyone got a bulleted list of whats going on?
I dont want to waste a full week to read 144 pages (where 95% is not exactly related to the thread lol)
18 months later, Toy Story Land still hasn't opened. Some removal and relocation has happened backstage and a little clearing. Cat Can has gone.

This week the walls went up with new concept art of the land, similar to what was originally released, but with a value engineered and severely tweaked coaster compared to the first piece of art.

Last edited:

Ripken10

Disney pretty much tells us what goes on in their offices through concept art.

A good idea for marketing, in the future, would be to release absolutely terrible and underwhelming concept art initially, but have much greater plans in mind. For example, they should've just depicted the slinky dog coaster as a tiny little roundy round ride. A 20x20 tiny little carnival coaster. There would be some groaning but then people would point out that it's not much worse than the two other Toy Story Lands around the world, and so everyone would be at least excited about Star Wars Land, and it wouldn't be all that bad.

Then, Disney could come out with their current art and be like "We upped the plans becuase of our most recent, record quarterly profits! We want to thank all of our fans, customers, and supporters for making this possible." And it would be a huge woohoo moment among fans and temper many of the complaints and worries we see today. It also disguises any cuts that are made along the way.

Universal kind of does this. Not to that extent, but the concept art for the first Harry Potter land was underwhelming, and so the actual land exceeded expectations. It worked.

I personally hope that is never the route Disney takes because it holds them accountable for far less, and it creates a much foggier and harder to trust timeline when we look back on things. It would probably result in far more cuts in the end. But publicitywise, it's such a smart idea...
Hate to say it - but in this stock market ruled world this doesn't work. Stocks will go up more cause the idea of a new ride (concept art) more than the actual ride opening. People (stockholders) are for the most part short term thinkers...at least the ones with the money want short term investment rewards.

Brad Bishop

Toy Story Land would be perfect if they also included the Slinky Spin ride from WDS and HKDL, I love that ride. Cheap and quick to build, increases park capacity and is fun. But since the coaster is already Slinky themed this is sadly never going to happen. With all Disney expansions as of late, I always feel they are always lacking that one extra ride that would make the expansion great.

I feel the same. It really feels like they either/both don't try or miss the boat on this stuff.

Here's something to think about:

Imagine if Universal was tasked to create an immersive Toy Story themed ride... Yeah, you might be dealing with screens (which I'll admit to them over using) but it'd be far more than a themed coaster.

Imagine if Walt and his team from back in the day were doing it. You'd likely get something that would be immersive, not in-your-face immersive, but a classic ride that you couldn't wait to take your kids on. You don't get that with Goofy's Barn Stormer (or whatever they're calling it these days). I don't think you get that with 7DMT. I don't think you'll get that with the Slinky Dog Coaster. It'll just be a coaster with some themed bits around it.

Actually, now that I think of it, it really is how it is: I've told people, "Harry Potter is amazing! You have to go see it!" I've told people, "Cars Land, especially RSR, are just really cool. It's definitely something you want to go see!" That hasn't happened with anything in New Fantasyland. Initially, and maybe I'll be surprised, it doesn't look like that'll happen with TSL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom