Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Daveeeeed

Thankfully we have James Cameron making sure Avatar doesn't get any cuts. Also Avatar and Star Wars Lands being 'the main land' of the parks are probably the reasons why the haven't cut really anything from when they finished the plans, Toy Story Land is not the main land, so there's no loss in terms of marketing etc.

MGMBoy

That is no 11 acres. Covering much, much, much too much land. Put the size of people into perspective: rides are too far in-between, the walk would be atrocious and they're too cheap to theme it along the way.

Very good point. Would have to compact everything a little more (will try a new map later). What about having it all fit into this area:

upload_2016-4-4_14-23-50.png

lazyboy97o

I find it funny that people are treating some construction fence artwork as if it were a blueprint.
Art such as this is usually not just pulled from his air. There are "blueprints" underlaying the information.

I surprised people aren't up in arms of Skipper John not jumping on this to protect his IP brand? ...
Why start now?

Ornate is what separates Disney from Six Flags.
No, detail is was separated Disney from others. Ornament is what has caused Disney's prices to spiral out of control and made a cheap land such as this an overly expensive project.

Yes, we get it. We're not idiots.

And this idea connects to TSMM how?
Pixar Place would funnel right into this. As several people have noted, the new concept art has left out the path that used to contain Al's Toy Barn. TSMM would essentially be one of the entrances to this land and Pixar Place would be the path into the land. Maybe I am missing something but TSMM doesn't appear to be clearly outlined anywhere in this concept art so it could be going anywhere still.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Pixar Place would funnel right into this. As several people have noted, the new concept art has left out the path that used to contain Al's Toy Barn. TSMM would essentially be one of the entrances to this land and Pixar Place would be the path into the land. Maybe I am missing something but TSMM doesn't appear to be clearly outlined anywhere in this concept art so it could be going anywhere still.

I believe what is circled in red is the TSMM building. The small building to the right would be the new entrance coming in from the back of the building.

IMG_2650-1-1200x900.jpg

Daveeeeed

Martin said this just yesterday. I'm going to continue to have happy thoughts and assume Phase 3 is on the table until more overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise.
If phase 3 doesn't happen, the only reason why they have not said "it will not happen right after these 2 lands are complete." Having a surprise as the theme of the land is a good idea, but currently by making people imagine stuff, even when it might not happen is just to satisfy the Disney fanatics like most of us on these forums.

lazyboy97o

Same level of theming as cars land.... minus 75%
What does level mean? Authenticity and exactness to the reference? Then Toy Story Land should still very much deliver on that promise. The problem is the subject matter. Oversized toys are going to be large, smooth, simple surfaces and no amount of money is suddenly going to change that.

clemmo

That has been my conclusion as well. Which inevitably begs the question of what will happen with the current Pixar Place, or at least the portion which on which TSMM fronts, once TSL opens?

The consensus before was that pixar place as it is now will become backstage. Not sure if that's still the current plan

The costs surrounding this milquetoast expansion are ludicrous. An apt comparison to the Slinky Dog Coaster (horrid name, btw) would be Maverick at Cedar Point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_(roller_coaster)

Maverick cost 21 million dollars to construct in 2007. Even factoring inflation, heavy theming, and expanded capacity/blocking, there's no way the Slinky Dog Coaster should break the 50 million dollar mark. The rumored 500 million dollar costs for the land aren't just simple overruns: it smacks of malfeasance.

lazyboy97o

The costs surrounding this milquetoast expansion are ludicrous. An apt comparison to the Slinky Dog Coaster (horrid name, btw) would be Maverick at Cedar Point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_(roller_coaster)

Maverick cost 21 million dollars to construct in 2007. Even factoring inflation, heavy theming, and expanded capacity/blocking, there's no way the Slinky Dog Coaster should break the 50 million dollar mark. The rumored 500 million dollar costs for the land aren't just simple overruns: it smacks of malfeasance.
A launched coaster can be had all in for close to $21 million today. It shows how totally out of whack Disney's expenses have become. The demands for cost savings are not entirely unwarranted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom