Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

In my opinion the shows/exhibits have more value than the replacement of them with two off the shelf rides in the form of the Green Alien Ride and Slinky Coaster. Imagine if you took Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Enchanted Tiki Room, and Philharmagic out of MK but said oh it's better cause they're being replaced with another tea cup style ride, and another Dumbo spinner. But it's fine cause its two rides instead of shows....

I think there's a strong argument that the "balance" at DHS is off and has been forever -- it's too show heavy and exacerbating matters the shows are largely old/stale. The park needs a more appropriate mix, which should include rides making up a greater percentage of the attractions. It also needs the existing shows to have some renovations (replacing BatB and VOTLM with new shows would be good).

I'm firmly in the camp though that nothing that DHS has lost (or will lose) are "classics" in the sense that they should not have been removed. I'd wouldn't mind seeing some version of the Animation building come back someday but other than that, it's hard to get worked up about anything that is gone.

I do think that the pace needs to be picked up with opening new stuff and increasing capacity though. TSL is something that should be able to open by early in 2017, but there doesn't seem to be the urgencythat should be present.

Next Big Thing

I think there's a strong argument that the "balance" at DHS is off and has been forever -- it's too show heavy and exacerbating matters the shows are largely old/stale. The park needs a more appropriate mix, which should include rides making up a greater percentage of the attractions. It also needs the existing shows to have some renovations (replacing BatB and VOTLM with new shows would be good).

I'm firmly in the camp though that nothing that DHS has lost (or will lose) are "classics" in the sense that they should not have been removed. I'd wouldn't mind seeing some version of the Animation building come back someday but other than that, it's hard to get worked up about anything that is gone.

I do think that the pace needs to be picked up with opening new stuff and increasing capacity though. TSL is something that should be able to open by early in 2017, but there doesn't seem to be the urgencythat should be present.
Totally Agree

SirLink

If you are accounting for the loss of Idol and Animation, then there's no loss of capacity there. If anything, the amount of people that go to those areas has increased with two popular franchises now replacing them. The amount of people that actually see LMA per day is quite sad too. This and SWL will help to spread the park out - bring people away from ToT and RNRC - and over to the other side of the park.

Right now, anything over on that side of the park is virtually wasted space as barely anyone walks past TSMM to SoA unless you come from Star Tours.

There is something universally more appealing about learning the process of animation than there is seeing replications of props and seeing a teenager in a fur costume giving out humid hugs. Idol has been a great venue with now two useless IPs put into that section. Why pay $100 to do something you can buy the DVD for or so I'm told there is a bonus sing-a-long featurette.

10 attractions is not something you should be applauding Disney for. You should be saying where is the other 10 attractions to turn this a real-to-God theme park.

Next Big Thing

There is something universally more appealing about learning the process of animation than there is seeing replications of props and seeing a teenager in a fur costume giving out humid hugs. Idol has been a great venue with now two useless IPs put into that section. Why pay $100 to do something you can buy the DVD for or so I'm told there is a bonus sing-a-long featurette.

10 attractions is not something you should be applauding Disney for. You should be saying where is the other 10 attractions to turn this a real-to-God theme park.
I'm not applauding them.

Once SWL and TSL gets built, much still needs to be done. This should only be the beginning as far as i'm concerned.

The Empress Lilly

Formerly (during my visits), there was a trio of rides. Currently, I believe there is a duo of attractions to entertain and explore, but very soon a triumvirate of amusement will be back.
Are you alluding to the fall of the late Roman Republic, or am I just reading stuff into your posts now?

*Returns to literal readings of George's little gems, together with the great unwashed*

The Empress Lilly

In my opinion the shows/exhibits have more value than the replacement of them with two off the shelf rides in the form of the Green Alien Ride and Slinky Coaster. Imagine if you took Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Enchanted Tiki Room, and Philharmagic out of MK but said oh it's better cause they're being replaced with another tea cup style ride, and another Dumbo spinner. But it's fine cause its two rides instead of shows....
Hear, hear!
(So not 'here, here', for which speakers from countries with slightly more emphasis on permanently drawing attention to oneself often seem to confuse the phrase)

To which one can add that WDW has the luxury of four parks. This means that they shouldn't just be four identical experiences with different show dressing, but four unique experiences. The Studio's little niche was shows. Sit down shows, drive-through shows, behind the scenes shows. It's the showbizz park. Large, lengthy experiences. That set it apart from the MK, and from EPCOT's FW.

As did DAK, while I'm mounted on my soapbox. DAK too sought to create a distinct identity with which to set itself apart from its three elder siblings. By emphasis on exploration, walkthroughs, and blurring the lines between attraction and scenery.

Yet sadly, currently both DHS and DAK are being stripped of their unique identity, (and even EPCOT too) both being turned into the exact same mold of 'rides, rides, rides stepping into the world of ip, ip, ip'.

EPCOTCenterLover

"Yet sadly, currently both DHS and DAK are being stripped of their unique identity, (and even EPCOT too) both being turned into the exact same mold of 'rides, rides, rides stepping into the world of ip, ip, ip'.

I'm not sure I agree. DAK has so few rides, it's laughable. When you remove cheapo Chester and Hester's rides and Kali, you've got a trio of E ticket rides and not much else.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any idea out there when they will release a date when TSL will be done?

That won't happen for some time now. Eventually they will release a year, and then as construction moves a long a year and a season. and finally as it gets close to completion and actual date.

Rteetz

Yet sadly, currently both DHS and DAK are being stripped of their unique identity, (and even EPCOT too) both being turned into the exact same mold of 'rides, rides, rides stepping into the world of ip, ip, ip'.
I disagree that AK is getting rid of its identity. Animal kingdom was always supposed to have a land of fantasy and it's finally getting that, yes it's not beastly kingdom but still. What exactly are they getting rid of that takes away from the parks identity? I will agree that Epcot and DHS both don't have an identity right now but AK still does.

olie64

That won't happen for some time now. Eventually they will release a year, and then as construction moves a long a year and a season. and finally as it gets close to completion and actual date.

Thank you @danlb_2000 always good for the updates. I am new to the forum and this the first major construction project WDW since I have cared.

doctornick

I disagree that AK is getting rid of its identity. Animal kingdom was always supposed to have a land of fantasy and it's finally getting that, yes it's not beastly kingdom but still. What exactly are they getting rid of that takes away from the parks identity? I will agree that Epcot and DHS both don't have an identity right now but AK still does.

And I would argue that the park is mostly having its identity enhanced. Pandora may be IP based, but it is an IP that was notable due to the visuals and fascination with "exploring" the world in the film. And simultaneously, the rest of the park has been getting enhancements -- in particular, a size able expansion in Africa with unique offerings, plus smaller ones in Asia and Discovery Island and a show is being added which looks to be very focused on nature and very little if any on IPs.

I can understand trepidation about Epcot and DHS losing their way (though DHS strikes me as more evolving/changing) but DAK is as strong as ever, probably the most cohesive of any domestic park.

doctornick

To which one can add that WDW has the luxury of four parks. This means that they shouldn't just be four identical experiences with different show dressing, but four unique experiences. The Studio's little niche was shows. Sit down shows, drive-through shows, behind the scenes shows. It's the showbizz park. Large, lengthy experiences. That set it apart from the MK, and from EPCOT's FW.

I am all for the different parks offering different experiences, but there is some baseline level of offerings that should be present at any theme park. And that includes a reasonable quantity of rides -- having only 5 rides, as DHS currently does, is unacceptable. It doesn't have to have some Cedar Point-esque 60 rides or something, but I think it's far to suggest there should be a baseline "floor" of rides, maybe at about 15-18. If the park is otherwise heavy on shows or walk through as a distinguishing factors beyond that, that's fine. But 5 rides? I'm sorry, but that just should not fly for a park that is over 25 years old.

And, as I and many people have mentioned before, a big issue with DHS being show heavy is that the shows are old and stale. If they were replaced with greater frequency, I think people would be less critical of the state of the park.

doctornick

Then you consider the loss of The Art of Animation, The Backlot Tour (the big one or the smaller ones), LMA, One Mans Dream, Superstar Television, Monster Sound Show / Sounds Dangerous and the Backlot Theatre. Two Es a D and one C don't really make up for that. Yet.

Sure, but there is more coming that just those 4 rides in all that space. I don't think it is fair to judge the quality or worthiness of the replacement for the shuttered attractions until they are built (or at least all announced!). We can certainly criticize the speed at which the replacements come though....

I do firmly believe that DHS will be a far better park come 2021 or so than it even has been. Just wish we could get their sooner.

flyerjab

And I would argue that the park is mostly having its identity enhanced. Pandora may be IP based, but it is an IP that was notable due to the visuals and fascination with "exploring" the world in the film. And simultaneously, the rest of the park has been getting enhancements -- in particular, a size able expansion in Africa with unique offerings, plus smaller ones in Asia and Discovery Island and a show is being added which looks to be very focused on nature and very little if any on IPs.

I can understand trepidation about Epcot and DHS losing their way (though DHS strikes me as more evolving/changing) but DAK is as strong as ever, probably the most cohesive of any domestic park.

Man I could not agree more with your reply (which by now probably shocks no one). I don't know what to think when people say that DAK is losing its identity. Really?!?

I also am intrigued when people complain about the lack of rides in this park. It's not called Disney's Ride Kingdom...the word animal is in the name. And I do apologize if I am coming off as snarky. I have just always believed that the themes of animals and conservation came first, with the rides and shows as secondary with the main purpose of separating this park from a zoo. I also can't imagine the cost of maintaining the animal habitats and food supplies. Now for people that could care less about animals, well I wonder why you bother even going here. For me, it is the eclectic mix of animal exhibits, rides, shows and food that I enjoy. Couple that with the best theming in any Orlando park and this park strikes the perfect note for me. It also is not IP heavy which I enjoy. But I pretty much flat out cannot agree with the idea that this park lost its way.

Furthermore, I also do not think that this park has lost its way with the addition of Pandora. In a crafty way, they picked a science fiction IP that is known world wide, but that also preaches one of the main tenets of this park - conservation.

Edit: Sorry. I just realized how tremendous of a thread drift my post was.

Last edited:

Brian Swan

I was excited for TSL but if it takes until 2018 and use up 11 acres it defeats it's purpose. I really want a full Pixar land TSL, Monstropolis with door coaster ,Cars D or E ticket , Incredibles E ticket, Nemo show moved from AK and a Nemo water ride or water play area, ITTBAB moved from AK and Heimlich clone, Islands in the Sky from Legoland themed to Up and a Ratatouille restaurant.

All of that won't happen with Disney but I think they would have been better off announcing TSL as the first part of the Pixar Place expansion since they do plan on building another land based on Pixar.
And I really "want" to see Crush's Coaster appended to the Seas, A Matterhorn V 2.0 as the centerpiece of Switzerland, KRR doubled in length, a coaster added to Pandora, the Speedway re-themed to Cars, GMR re-imagined to be the Great DISNEY Movie Ride, etc... But these are as likely as what you want...

The Empress Lilly

DAK getting its identity enhanced us not mutually exclusive to DAK's identity moving closer to the other parks.

'Visit the world of famous IP X and ride the thrill ride based on blockbuster Y!' Which park is that? DHS 2.0? IOA? DAK 2.0? USO? Etcetera.

Jon81uk

The Frozen show is with live actors introducing it, so it is much better than a "DVD Extra". What was in the former animation tour just before it closed did amount to a "DVD extra", the how we make animation films with Mushu film was out-dated and could have been a DVD extra type film.15 years ago when they were still animating in Florida the tour was great, now the only part of the animation tour that is missed is the how-to-draw class. The rest of the building was just meet and greats.

Rteetz

DAK getting its identity enhanced us not mutually exclusive to DAK's identity moving closer to the other parks.

'Visit the world of famous IP X and ride the thrill ride based on blockbuster Y!' Which park is that? DHS 2.0? IOA? DAK 2.0? USO? Etcetera.
DAK still isn't filled with IP like DHS will be. Yes they have avatar but everything else is IP free except for dinosaur which most people don't even know that is a movie. I just don't consider DAK an IP filled park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom