Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
DAK still isn't filled with IP like DHS will be. Yes they have avatar but everything else is IP free except for dinosaur which most people don't even know that is a movie. I just don't consider DAK an IP filled park.

All Disney Parks are IP driven, even Animal Kingdom. In addition to Pandora, off the top of my head I can think of another two; Lion King and Finding Nemo.

Jon81uk

All Disney Parks are IP driven, even Animal Kingdom. In addition to Pandora, off the top of my head I can think of another two; Lion King and Finding Nemo.

But for those two you are passively watching a show, the actual theatre isn't themed to anything in particular. Whereas Avatar, Toy Story (Mania and Land), Star Wars, New Fantasyland, Tower of Terror, you are all invited in to the world of the film.

Last edited:

doctornick

DAK getting its identity enhanced us not mutually exclusive to DAK's identity moving closer to the other parks.

'Visit the world of famous IP X and ride the thrill ride based on blockbuster Y!' Which park is that? DHS 2.0? IOA? DAK 2.0? USO? Etcetera.

How is DAK's "identity moving closer to the other parks"? Using an IP to create a land is decision related to execution, not overall park theme change. How you use things is far more important that what is used.

If anything, Pandora further strengthens the things that make DAK a unique theme park -- an emphasis on conservation and balance with nature, a vibe of exploration and discovery and the concept that you the guest are having the experience not that it is being shown to you as a third person. I'm all for using IP if it is done properly and integrates well. It is not intrinsically a bad thing.

That said, as I already mentioned, there's new stuff going into DAK which are not IP based, so it seems odd to just focus on the one thing that is an IP especially when it makes up a small portion of the park.

doctornick

Regarding the types of attractions at DHS, it seems we are likely to retain a significant numbers of shows, though many will be changed or replaced. The Frozen sing-a-long seems to be sticking around as is Disney Jr, there's talk of a daytime show being added to the Fantasmic! theater, BatB and VOTLM theaters seem to be sticking around and will potentially get new offerings. They obviously built the new flex theater and will use that for different stuff over time. Muppetvision is at least sticking around and might be updated. There's rumors of the Jedi training show moving indoors and being enhanced (and, if not that, I suspect will likely be some different offering for Star Wars that is more of a show). And we don't know what the rest of the expansions will bring -- maybe the new Pixar stuff will have some shows or walk through. I don't think it's fair to assume or act like DHS is losing all of the shows and getting only rides.

lazyboy97o

DAK still isn't filled with IP like DHS will be. Yes they have avatar but everything else is IP free except for dinosaur which most people don't even know that is a movie. I just don't consider DAK an IP filled park.
As of right now the mandate from above is that any new attraction at a Disney controlled theme park will be a franchise attraction.

Wikkler

And I really "want" to see Crush's Coaster appended to the Seas, A Matterhorn V 2.0 as the centerpiece of Switzerland, KRR doubled in length, a coaster added to Pandora, the Speedway re-themed to Cars, GMR re-imagined to be the Great DISNEY Movie Ride, etc... But these are as likely as what you want...
Because I'm terrible, I'll give my opinions on your opinions.
  • Crush's Coaster added to the Seas - I'd actually like to see that.
  • Matterhorn and Switzerland added to Epcot - No. For one, Europe's over-represented already, and two, Expedition Everest makes Matterhorn redundant.
  • Coaster added to Pandora - Wishful thinking. That ride wouldn't even fit the theme, and two Avatar rides is plenty, trust me.
  • Speedway re-themed to Cars - Instead of gutting the ride and adding space for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, you want to keep the Speedway and its air pollution, and re-theme it to an IP that belongs at Hollywood Studios?
  • Great Movie Ride should not become the Great Disney Movie Ride because Disney isn't the only studio that's made classic movies.

Mike S

Replace the Alien segment with the Banshee segment from Darby O'Gill and the Little People (that gave me the heebie-jeebies when I was little!)

image.jpeg

RSoxNo1

And I really "want" to see Crush's Coaster appended to the Seas, A Matterhorn V 2.0 as the centerpiece of Switzerland, KRR doubled in length, a coaster added to Pandora, the Speedway re-themed to Cars, GMR re-imagined to be the Great DISNEY Movie Ride, etc... But these are as likely as what you want...

Because I'm terrible, I'll give my opinions on your opinions.
  • Crush's Coaster added to the Seas - I'd actually like to see that.
  • Matterhorn and Switzerland added to Epcot - No. For one, Europe's over-represented already, and two, Expedition Everest makes Matterhorn redundant.
  • Coaster added to Pandora - Wishful thinking. That ride wouldn't even fit the theme, and two Avatar rides is plenty, trust me.
  • Speedway re-themed to Cars - Instead of gutting the ride and adding space for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, you want to keep the Speedway and its air pollution, and re-theme it to an IP that belongs at Hollywood Studios?
  • Great Movie Ride should not become the Great Disney Movie Ride because Disney isn't the only studio that's made classic movies.

Agreed with Wikkler for the most part
  • Crush's Coaster added to the Seas - No... take Nemo out of DAK and Epcot, add it to Pixar Place at DHS
  • Matterhorn and Switzerland added to Epcot - I'm all for adding a new pavilion, but I'd much rather see something from South America
  • Coaster added to Pandora - probably not necessary. I'd rather them fix Dinorama and/or add Australia
  • Speedway re-themed to Cars - No... remove the speedway and recreate the concept based on Cars in DHS. That would open up a huge Fantasyland adjacent area - the most valuable land in WDW.
  • Great Movie Ride needs to be gutted. I'll give you Mary Poppins, Casablanca and Wizard of Oz. I'd consider anything else on the chopping block. On a smaller scale would TCM fix the audio please? Robert Osborne sounds like Kylo Ren coming through the vehicle speakers and then you can't hear anything in the Western scene.
Anyone who believes DAK is being ruined needs to seriously consider undergoing a mental evaluation. Go observe the embarrassing mess known as Epcot and DHS if you want to see a great example of a park's identity being ruined. I swear, some you will concoct the most laughable claims....all for attention.

DAK is already the second best park at WDW prior to Rivers of Light and Avatar. I like it more than MK, but that's just personal preference.

olie64

Agreed with Wikkler for the most part
  • Crush's Coaster added to the Seas - No... take Nemo out of DAK and Epcot, add it to Pixar Place at DHS
  • Matterhorn and Switzerland added to Epcot - I'm all for adding a new pavilion, but I'd much rather see something from South America
  • Coaster added to Pandora - probably not necessary. I'd rather them fix Dinorama and/or add Australia
  • Speedway re-themed to Cars - No... remove the speedway and recreate the concept based on Cars in DHS. That would open up a huge Fantasyland adjacent area - the most valuable land in WDW.
  • Great Movie Ride needs to be gutted. I'll give you Mary Poppins, Casablanca and Wizard of Oz. I'd consider anything else on the chopping block. On a smaller scale would TCM fix the audio please? Robert Osborne sounds like Kylo Ren coming through the vehicle speakers and then you can't hear anything in the Western scene.

DAK is already the second best park at WDW prior to Rivers of Light and Avatar. I like it more than MK, but that's just personal preference.

I think a Peru pavilion modeled after Machu Picchu would be awesome. Or even a Brazil pavilion with an Brazilian steakhouse would be money.

djkidkaz

I think Disney adding attractions to the existing pavilions would give them more return on investment than adding a new pavilion with novelty merchandise. Is the Germany river cruise building being used for storage or is it empty? That would be a relatively cheap addition since you already have the building and would just be investing in the ride.

Phicinfan

I think before Disney adds any more pavillions, they have to decide what the long term plan for Epcot really is. With Frozen in Norway, the Three amigos in Mexico and such, not sure the original idea of the park is still in the long term plan.

Would love to hear if they have any plans at all, even for the future world part

HauntedMansionFLA

I think before Disney adds any more pavillions, they have to decide what the long term plan for Epcot really is. With Frozen in Norway, the Three amigos in Mexico and such, not sure the original idea of the park is still in the long term plan.

Would love to hear if they have any plans at all, even for the future world part
I keep thinking they will t'urn the park into Magic Kingdom 2.0 which is a shame. That park has so much potential.

FigmentForver96

I think Disney adding attractions to the existing pavilions would give them more return on investment than adding a new pavilion with novelty merchandise. Is the Germany river cruise building being used for storage or is it empty? That would be a relatively cheap addition since you already have the building and would just be investing in the ride.
Ehh most of the building. They would have to extend the building for the ride portion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom