Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

No, the process is much longer and more detailed that you repeatedly make it out to be. It is not your black and white view of concept and plans. Estimates are refined and become more detailed with each phase you always ignore. No cost estimator is going to stay employed by repeatedly and consistently getting projects estimated at less than half of their final cost. You also keep ignoring that there are industry norms on profit margin and even contingencies for cost overruns. It is not just a surprise like you keep insisting.
Well, of course, that's a given. I never implied that it was instantaneous and the first idea is accepted. I was just going from the green-light approval of a specific plan to the construction.

You're only further justifying why it is always so expensive. Part of the cost of any attraction is development and the more twitching and switching they do the more it all inevitably costs. Also known as the hidden cost, but, you can bet that they keep track of and include R&D in the cost of any attraction (individually). Some of those guys make a pretty decent salary and that will add up fast, the bigger the team the more the cost.

lazyboy97o

Well, of course, that's a given. I never implied that it was instantaneous and the first idea is accepted. I was just going from the green-light approval of a specific plan to the construction.

You're only further justifying why it is always so expensive. Part of the cost of any attraction is development and the more twitching and switching they do the more it all inevitably costs. Also known as the hidden cost, but, you can bet that they keep track of and include R&D in the cost of any attraction (individually). Some of those guys make a pretty decent salary and that will add up fast, the bigger the team the more the cost.
The phases of design have nothing to do with a first idea being accepted. They are long parts of the work that you repeatedly ignore in your attempts to quiet criticism.

Not every ride system is developed by Disney. Many are purchased, so there is no research or development. Nor is Disney unique in being party to the development of ride systems. You're just trying to make up more excuses.

Goofyernmost

The phases of design have nothing to do with a first idea being accepted. They are long parts of the work that you repeatedly ignore in your attempts to quiet criticism.

Not every ride system is developed by Disney. Many are purchased, so there is no research or development. Nor is Disney unique in being party to the development of ride systems. You're just trying to make up more excuses.
Excuses for what? Some folks need a dictionary handy to look up and see the difference between "excuses" and "explanations".

Even if I had an agenda to show why things take longer and cost more then we people that deal mostly with our own household expenses can even start to understand, your insistence that it is a piece of cake to get massive expenditures planned, designed and in process. Even if they didn't develop the ride systems, I'm pretty sure that whomever did, isn't giving it to Disney. One way or the other Disney pays for research and development whether it be their own or someone elses.

lazyboy97o

Excuses for what? Some folks need a dictionary handy to look up and see the difference between "excuses" and "explanations".

Even if I had an agenda to show why things take longer and cost more then we people that deal mostly with our own household expenses can even start to understand, your insistence that it is a piece of cake to get massive expenditures planned, designed and in process. Even if they didn't develop the ride systems, I'm pretty sure that whomever did, isn't giving it to Disney. One way or the other Disney pays for research and development whether it be their own or someone elses.
Their excuses because you have repeatedly demonstrated that you don't actually know about or understand the process. You're just making things up and jumping around for reasons, so yes, they are excuses.

Goofyernmost

Their excuses because you have repeatedly demonstrated that you don't actually know about or understand the process. You're just making things up and jumping around for reasons, so yes, they are excuses.
OK, so I guess the years I spent working in the construction business were mostly nap time for me. What are your credentials anyway. It seems like you just like to make statements with no attempt to explain what is happening.

SirLink

Oh goodness no. Those rides are dreadful and have awful capacity. These rides are much more appropriate for a park that sees 8 or 9 million people each year (surely 10+ when SWL opens).

But that land to install is loads cheaper but I have heard that everything to do with DHS is being looked at again for costs and construction so hopefully they get it down to a more reasonable amount before foundations are laid.

SirLink

OK, so I guess the years I spent working in the construction business were mostly nap time for me. What are your credentials anyway. It seems like you just like to make statements with no attempt to explain what is happening.

It is the designing stage not so much the construction phase which is where the costs get overbloated. Construction could be better if they have multiple projects to start at the same time to save a little. Also on the itemized bills, WDI would cost out hammers to be $17 per hammer each, etc.

But it is a little bit different building a theme park land or ride than building an office block though.

ToTBellHop

But that land to install is loads cheaper but I have heard that everything to do with DHS is being looked at again for costs and construction so hopefully they get it down to a more reasonable amount before foundations are laid.
I don't think we are going to see a meteoric shift in how WDI does things in the next 11 months. So the only way to do this would be cuts. I hope they don't eviscerate Slink Dog like 7DMT into a Barnstormer-length coaster.

Goofyernmost

It is the designing stage not so much the construction phase which is where the costs get overbloated. Construction could be better if they have multiple projects to start at the same time to save a little. Also on the itemized bills, WDI would cost out hammers to be $17 per hammer each, etc.

But it is a little bit different building a theme park land or ride than building an office block though.
Yes, it is... it's much more complex and requires many talented artisans to achieve. An office building does not require that. However, so many people do not consider the designing, engineering stage when trying to make an armchair decision on how long it should take to have an attraction in place.

SirLink

I don't think we are going to see a meteoric shift in how WDI does things in the next 11 months. So the only way to do this would be cuts. I hope they don't eviscerate Slink Dog like 7DMT into a Barnstormer-length coaster.

That is not a meteoric shift to get the costings in line. Hence why infrastructure is taking the priority over the next 12 months. A meteoric shift would NOT be getting the overblown costs in line before construction begins, for such a basic project. Especially with the new edict from Lex and the gang: cheap and fast.

SirLink

Yes, it is... it's much more complex and requires many talented artisans to achieve. An office building does not require that. However, so many people do not consider the designing, engineering stage when trying to make an armchair decision on how long it should take to have an attraction in place.

That is true on length, however, when the competition can create more detailed lands in the same 3 year timetable. Also can produce rides with new things not seen in themed entertainment ... then WDI is broken and must be fixed. TSL is the symptom of a broken WDI.

Kate F

With bigger, complex projects like Avatar and SWL, I can understand Disney taking their time with them. A moderately themed family land with two relatively simple new attractions and a couple of meet-n-greets? Ehh...I really don't know how anyone can defend their slow pace on this one.

ToTBellHop

With bigger, complex projects like Avatar and SWL, I can understand Disney taking their time with them. A moderately themed family land with two relatively simple new attractions and a couple of meet-n-greets? Ehh...I really don't know how anyone can defend their slow pace on this one.
The pace is asinine. This should have broken ground last summer (at the latest) to open around Christmas of this year. Here I thought they realized this park needed all the help it could get...

Summer 2018 is laughable.

WDWLover#1

I'm still amazed (well not really) there hasn't been an ounce of construction since this was announced in August, let alone since BLT closed in fall 2014. Truly embarrassing.
Yes I thought the next day you'd see walls going up straight away. You could argue however that they'd rather start after christmas though - starting heavy construction happening for Halloween and Christmas, some of the busiest times of the year, would significantly decrease capacity and stuff to do in a already low ride park.

ToTBellHop

Yes I thought the next day you'd see walls going up straight away. You could argue however that they'd rather start after christmas though - starting heavy construction happening for Halloween and Christmas, some of the busiest times of the year, would significantly decrease capacity and stuff to do in a already low ride park.
And yet here we we in late January...

It's clear they are in no hurry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom