Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jon81uk

.A common criticism of Universal by Disney fans is that it has too many exposed-steel coasters.

What makes Slinky Dog different?

From the concept art its not quite an exposed steel coaster, a lot of it runs low to the ground, like Seven Dwarves Mine Train and the bridge area seems to have hot wheels type theming. There are also piles of extra track left around, which does reinforce the playset look and theme. Whereas on something like the barnstormer, if you are meant to be on a plane, why is they track there (I know why, but I'm talking about theme).

Kman101

I don't have an issue with TSL coming to the Studios. If you don't like it, fine, but there's no reason to come for those who do [and vice versa].

However, I do find TSMM cheap. And awful. I was jerked around a warehouse with cardboard box sets and screens. I loved the queue. The ride wasn't that exciting. It was over way too quickly. I guess a bit of fun but it's not the best designed thing in the world.

As Martin said, we all know the reason it gets lines at DHS, mostly (and yes I'm sure it's popular enough), but they swarm it Tokyo. In a much nicer park with a variety of things to do. We'll see the waits once Toy Story Land opens, and whatever Phase 3 is. But the more reasons to come to the park ... the busier it will be. I don't know that the lines will decrease as much as some think they will. But we'll see.

So construction starts THIS year on TSL, correct?

Mike S

.A common criticism of Universal by Disney fans is that it has too many exposed-steel coasters.

What makes Slinky Dog different?
Only one exposed steel coaster I have a problem with and that's Dragon Challenge. Why? "Omg, Hogsmeade is so cool! It looks just like the movies!!!... Wait.... What the heck?"

I rest my case. Tear it down for the Forbidden Forest. Hulk and RRR can stay as long as RRR gets a rebuild next. Man is that ride rough :in pain:

Goofyernmost

Maybe because TSMM is they only kid ride in the entire park that is in a 20+million tourist resort aimed at children.

TSMM is a nice C Ticket.
Well I enjoy it and all my friends enjoy it. It's fun! And I can assure you that none of us are "kids". I don't care if it's a, so called, Z ticket. That is just an image in your own mind anyway. There is no such thing as a "ticket" anymore. The value of any attraction at this point is based on popularity. Continue to live in the past. The line is long enough already, it doesn't need everyone else to queue up.

Last edited:

Goofyque'

I am probably one of the biggest roller coaster junkies there is. Love them all. But that doesn't mean the whole park has to be thrill rides, or coasters, and I hope it doesn't mean I'm stupid when I enjoy TSMM, and had a blast on Mater's Junkyard Jubilee. I enjoy Disney, and my best guess is that I have been going to Disney parks much longer than the biggest percentage of members on these boards. Love the emersion, love the ability to have fun with family members ages 1-99, and based on past history, will guess that I am going to continue to enjoy all of the new lands. Doesn't matter if I like Avatar, Toy Story or Star Wars, I'm going to have a great trip!

SirLink

It has a healthy budget. Similar to the whole of the Fantasyland Expansion.

It's not Star Wars Land, but if they blew their wad on two $1 bn lands with the monies given by the Board, that's all we'd get. And that's inefficient.

Which is a problem in itself this should be costing no more than $350million. Not $400-450 million. Especially seen as the whole point of WDI adding TSL was that it was a) cheap b) quick to build c) address the DHS laden height requirement attractions. Its has already failed its two main goals before being built.

Also addendum to one of your later posts - they are looking at budgets across the board to preciously stop another $1billion land from happening again.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What bugs me is that we are only getting two new rides with TSL. I know rides aren't the only important thing, but that's what it's primarily being built for, isn't it? To increase the amount of family rides? The rides they've announced are fine, but I don't think they should be all we are getting, especially considering the size of the land.

Always hate making comparisons to Universal but if you look at Diagon Alley or Hogsmead, one or two rides in each of those sections works fine! I think if you have one or two really solid rides (that ideally are also pretty high capacity), so long as you surround those rides with lots of creative/unique food options, stores, and entertainment, the area as a whole can work really well. I mean, when you go to Hogsmead or Diagon Alley, it's not just the main rides that have long lines/are busy... the shops are packed, the food options are packed, and plenty of people are just looking around in awe and wonder at the amazing themeing. I'm hopeful that Star Wars Land and Avatar will have much the same effect... Toy Story land they're going to have to work a bit to get the same effect, but I don't think overall it will be too huge an issue. Besides, if they were to add more, it would probably be some of the same attractions that they put in the other Toy Story Playlands around the world and it seems a lot of people complained about those looking too cheep...

SirLink

Always hate making comparisons to Universal but if you look at Diagon Alley or Hogsmead, one or two rides in each of those sections works fine! I think if you have one or two really solid rides (that ideally are also pretty high capacity), so long as you surround those rides with lots of creative/unique food options, stores, and entertainment, the area as a whole can work really well. I mean, when you go to Hogsmead or Diagon Alley, it's not just the main rides that have long lines/are busy... the shops are packed, the food options are packed, and plenty of people are just looking around in awe and wonder at the amazing themeing. I'm hopeful that Star Wars Land and Avatar will have much the same effect... Toy Story land they're going to have to work a bit to get the same effect, but I don't think overall it will be too huge an issue. Besides, if they were to add more, it would probably be some of the same attractions that they put in the other Toy Story Playlands around the world and it seems a lot of people complained about those looking too cheep...

You can't make that comparison with Universal as they built 2 E-tickets for Diagon Alley. What your getting in TSL when everything is done is 2 C tickets, 1 B ticket and 2 A tickets. With one of the C tickets already built as of today. The A tickets being 2 meet and greet complexes ...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What bugs me is that we are only getting two new rides with TSL. I know rides aren't the only important thing, but that's what it's primarily being built for, isn't it? To increase the amount of family rides? The rides they've announced are fine, but I don't think they should be all we are getting, especially considering the size of the land.

one step at a time. Eventually, phase 2 comes out with SWL...2 more rides. Then phase 3 seems to be a go based on what I am reading here....

Garfield

From what I have been seeing posted, is it safe to say that to some people:
More Rides = Better Enjoyment of the Park?
If so, then they probably are absolutely giddy at most State Fair Midways? For me (and I know it's an old and often said philosophy) it is the overall experience. That is probably because after going to WDW for so many years, you start to notice more of the little things that create that overall experience, and we don't focus just on the rides.

SirLink

From what I have been seeing posted, is it safe to say that to some people:
More Rides = Better Enjoyment of the Park?
If so, then they probably are absolutely giddy at most State Fair Midways? For me (and I know it's an old and often said philosophy) it is the overall experience. That is probably because after going to WDW for so many years, you start to notice more of the little things that create that overall experience, and we don't focus just on the rides.

Nope that is not what anyone is saying, more rides are needed it is the the only way FP+ has been designed that the parks need a minimum of 30 FP+ attractions in order for it to work effectively. Which DHS, DAK & Epcot need - however the users in these threads want are better lands. What your describing in Star Wars Land - which is not TSL. You can judge TSL from any of the TSPL that have been built elsewhere, that is the theme, the overall experience if the guy who designed the All Star resorts was given too high a budget and was responsible for a land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
one step at a time. Eventually, phase 2 comes out with SWL...2 more rides. Then phase 3 seems to be a go based on what I am reading here....
I think the argument is for all the time, money and space of TSL there are only two new attractions. One of which will be a minor addition.

An additional dark ride could have sealed the land as a real plus.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think the argument is for all the time, money and space of TSL there are only two new attractions. One of which will be a minor addition.

An additional dark ride could have sealed the land as a real plus.

I can agree with that although I think I would still consider it a good plus without a 4th attraction, or 3rd new one (of course we can argue about the theme all day long). I probably feel that way because I am not just looking or thinking about TSL exclusively. I am thinking about what we are going to get in this park long term and how this area will fit into that. From what has been shared (so far), it seems like this area will be a nice addition to the park as part of its huge overhaul.

If this is all we were getting, I would think differently for sure. But given what we know (or what we think we know), this area will balance the park out nicely in my opinion.

doctornick

I do however agree with the sentiment that it is a bit unfortunate that we have four new rides announced and all of them should have height requirements. The park will still be a bit of a struggle for families with little ones. At least most little kids currently in existence will be tall enough for everything by the time it opens!

This. My concern with the expansion plans for DHS is that they are light on rides, especially with minimal if any all ages/low intensity rides on the docket. The rides for Star Wars sound reasonable, but with an expansion themed to Toy Story, I'm disappointed that there isn't a bunch of rides for that land and some of them without height restrictions. Adding just two rides in that land is pretty light when the park only has 5 rides currently; TSL should be adding at least 3 or 4 rides to help to fill out the number of stuff for the park.

doctornick

Not possible. Phase 3 will begin construction long before Star Wars opens. It is Phase 4 that is in question.

Shooting from the hip? I could easily see Star Wars and its success leading to an eventual third SW ride and no Phase 4.

I wonder if it's possible that Phase 3 might actually open before Phase 2 (Star Wars)? The park could certainly use the ride capacity before the Star Wars crowds overflow the park and it might explain why LMA is closing so soon.

MarkTwain

I don't hate the idea of Toy Story Land... but I would say it's a huge missed opportunity.

We're seeing Disney spend a lot of money and clearing a lot of land for a whole collection of B-tickets themed, of all things, to a franchise which is already heavily featured at WDW. Toy Story already has popular attractions at two parks, when other movies don't have any representation at all. Since this was Pixar Place, why not have some of the B-tickets themed to Ratatouille, Up, or Wall-E? If they're done with the Pixar Place concept, why not Big Hero 6? Or even franchises Disney has acquired, like Indiana Jones?

Instead, we're seeing Disney retread out the tired Toy Story carnival concept for the umpteenth time... except, oddly, redesigning the land from the ground up, thereby negating any benefits of cost savings by duplicating existing designs.

So yes, I'm happy to see new things and rides which will please the whole family. But I'm disappointed they didn't use the opportunity to do something more creatively interesting.

Goofyernmost

Which is a problem in itself this should be costing no more than $350million. Not $400-450 million. Especially seen as the whole point of WDI adding TSL was that it was a) cheap b) quick to build c) address the DHS laden height requirement attractions. Its has already failed its two main goals before being built.

Also addendum to one of your later posts - they are looking at budgets across the board to preciously stop another $1billion land from happening again.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but, under what standards are you able to determine how much a theme park attractions should cost. Are you in the business? Have you been involved with building attractions and therefore know what a reasonable price is to do them?

Normally, and I don't pretend to know how Disney does this, when a project is being started, bid sheets are sent out to contractors, completely detailed with itemized needs, from earth work to rough construction to fine details. The qualified contractors are notified of the bid and do quotes to the requesting company. Each bid from each contractor is opened, usually in public to keep it honest, and the LOWEST bid is awarded as long as they qualify to do the work.

If a contractor qualifies and has the low bid, they get the job. In the event that a bid is lower, but, the bidder is not qualified then it can get awarded to the next lowest bid. In other words Disney cannot always control what the cost is. What they can do is cancel the project and start over, but, then that much time has been wasted and the process starts over. Since for most of Disney's projects the government cannot insist that bids have to be asked for since it is private money, however, stockholders may object to uncontrolled spending.

Disneyhead'71

I'm not trying to be difficult, but, under what standards are you able to determine how much a theme park attractions should cost. Are you in the business? Have you been involved with building attractions and therefore know what a reasonable price is to do them?

Normally, and I don't pretend to know how Disney does this, when a project is being started, bid sheets are sent out to contractors, completely detailed with itemized needs, from earth work to rough construction to fine details. The qualified contractors are notified of the bid and do quotes to the requesting company. Each bid from each contractor is opened, usually in public to keep it honest, and the LOWEST bid is awarded as long as they qualify to do the work.

If a contractor qualifies and has the low bid, they get the job. In the event that a bid is lower, but, the bidder is not qualified then it can get awarded to the next lowest bid. In other words Disney cannot always control what the cost is. What they can do is cancel the project and start over, but, then that much time has been wasted and the process starts over. Since for most of Disney's projects the government cannot insist that bids have to be asked for since it is private money, however, stockholders may object to uncontrolled spending.
They didn't bid out the design process and that (WDI) is the money pit.

When the budget for TSL exceeds Diagon Alley's by over a hundred million dollars, there is a 'uge problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom