Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

That must be why the lines are hours long. Can you imagine the lines if it wasn't "cheap"? Things don't have to cost a fortune to be fun to do. Everyone is stuck on spending millions when people like simple things too. At least those people that are able to put the past in the past and take the positive out of the present. We all have the choice to be happy or unhappy. Some just like misery!
I smiled on Dumbo with my kids.

Apparently I should be ashamed of that, if you listen to some here.

kpilcher

Unfortunately, some will view it as cheap regardless because it is themed with toys.

Does Midway Mania seem cheap? This is a land that expands on that ride's aesthetic.
Ummmm. Yes. It kinda does. And I love the IP and like the ride. It feels like I'm on a Sally Corp. dark ride through an unthemed warehouse. The mechanics of the setup and scoring is impressive enough. But it is not immersive. The entire interior feels like it could be easily removed and relocated. And it was designed to be.

Disneyhead'71

Then you know all you need to about the land.

On the other hand, it was a good enough ride for DisneySea, and they can do no wrong.View attachment 127321
DSC_2688.jpg

Not really a benchmark in themed entertainment. Even Six Flags new Justice League shooter kicks it's butt.

Six%20Flags%20unviels%20new%20ride

lazyboy97o

It has a healthy budget. Similar to the whole of the Fantasyland Expansion.

It's not Star Wars Land, but if they blew their wad on two $1 bn lands with the monies given by the Board, that's all we'd get. And that's inefficient.
That is not a healthy budget, it is a cancerous one.

Then you know all you need to about the land.

On the other hand, it was a good enough ride for DisneySea, and they can do no wrong.View attachment 127321
It is just as disjointed and nonsensical at Tokyo DisneySEA.

Mike S

I like Midway Mania. Always have fun trying to beat the scores of everyone in my party, last time I succeeded :happy: I will probably enjoy the whole land too. Slinky looks fun and I liked Maters in Cars Land so there. Am I waiting on baited breath to ride these rides? Most certainly not. That excitement is reserved for Star Wars. This is just a small appetizer before the main course.

Goofyernmost

To be fair, there aren't very many options in that park.
So then the "cheapest" thing is the most popular and is the cause of massive lines? There are other things to see and they don't have that much draw. It is not the most expensive thing there, but, it is fun and people like to do it. The price tag doesn't and shouldn't make any difference at all of done properly.

Disneyhead'71

So then the "cheapest" thing is the most popular and is the cause of massive lines? There are other things to see and they don't have that much draw. It is not the most expensive thing there, but, it is fun and people like to do it. The price tag doesn't and shouldn't make any difference at all of done properly.
Maybe because TSMM is they only kid ride in the entire park that is in a 20+million tourist resort aimed at children.

TSMM is a nice C Ticket.

Animaniac93-98

No, you're not allowed to have fun if it isn't a $200 million E ticket. Don't you dare enjoy the tea cups, carousel, or Dumbo!

Except those rides are minor attractions that support a land with more than a dozen in total.

TSPL is the equivalent of putting just those three in a corner of the park and calling it a land.

Marc Davis Fan

.A common criticism of Universal by Disney fans is that it has too many exposed-steel coasters.

What makes Slinky Dog different?

I make that criticism, and I am concerned about Slinky Dog for that reason.

However, they CAN still do a good job of theming the supports as being various items like pencils and such (along with the pieces from Andy's "roller coaster play kit"). My fingers are crossed that they make the backstory of the coaster (play kit plus makeshift elements) visually apparent.

Ar1w

I'm confused. Why is everyone complaining about a plain steel/boring Slinky coaster?

I was under the impression (from the concept CGI video showing a rough cut of the ride) that the slinky coaster would be unique, with interactive elements flying around as the coaster moved... Like toy soldiers descending next to the tracks in parachutes, and buzz lightyear popping up in front of the train, etc...

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I make that criticism, and I am concerned about Slinky Dog for that reason.

However, they CAN still do a good job of theming the supports as being various items like pencils and such (along with the pieces from Andy's "roller coaster play kit"). My fingers are crossed that they make the backstory of the coaster (play kit plus makeshift elements) visually apparent.

In addition I bet you won't be able to see Andy's creations from anywhere else in the part to help maintain each areas continuity... Even in a disjointed mess of a park that is DHS.

Although a parachute drop ride might have given us views of the SWL construction. ;)

mickEblu

I'm just not getting the concept of the land. We re supposedly shrinking down to the size of Toys but then we re starting at a 3 story tall Woody? So we re more like the Toys's toys. I think the land will be fine and people will enjoy it for what it is. But IMO if your going to go with the shrinking down to a toys size theme then I think something like the Ratatouille ride would be much more effective. Imagine some elaborate sets including scenes from Sids house, Andys Room, Pizza planet, etc in conjunction with the action on the screens. I think if TSL was including an E ticket like this with the 2 flat rides nobody would be complaining.

The main issue here is simple... the main course, let's say a juicy steak (TSMM) was served years ago and then finally a big announcement is made for the park and folks find out they re just getting the side dish (slinky coaster ) and the garnish ( claw ride) on their plate from that old meal.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Only one of the two new rides is unique and it is a roller coaster themed to be a roller coaster. If you want flat rides and roller coasters to be the heart of your experience then you're asking for an amusement park, not a themed experience. Even then, the meat of the existing lands is flat rides.

The idea of a single land costing anywhere near $1 billion is just insane. There also shouldn't be the well done areas and the tossed together areas when dealing with a premier experience.
Rumors are that Avatar is surging towards $1B rapidly and will definitely hit it before the project is done...

Next Big Thing

.A common criticism of Universal by Disney fans is that it has too many exposed-steel coasters.

What makes Slinky Dog different?
I don't see that criticism of Universal hardly ever and they haven't built one since 2008 (not counting Hulk right now since it's a re-build). But something Universal DOES do is use a lot of screens. People complain about the screens and having too much 3D, but very few people go around calling Universal's rides "Cheap".

It's the same conversation that always comes back around and it's fairly tedious. I'll probably have fun on every ride in TSL (something I certainly can't say for something like C&H or Storybook Circus), but it's not something i'm eagerly awaiting.

I just don't get the intense hatred towards the land. No one is saying that it's going to be amazing or that it will be some amazing themed land. We're simply saying it will be a nice, fun area. Star Wars is where the real fun will be had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom