Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

Damon7777

Disney needs to increase capacity without increasing attendance. They could use some crowd eating C and D tickets.

No, Disney needs attractions that are worth our time and interest coupled with impressive throughput of 2,000+ guest per hour.

Lame, low budget experiences with high throughput is wasted opportunity.

wdwfan4ver

......not at the expense of an "E"

Ambitious headling attractions are a prerequisite to open a land, I say.
I disagree in this case. If Toy Story Land had an E-ticket, that would give DHS 7 E-ticket rides after Star Wars: Galaxies Edge Opens. That amount of E-Ticket Rides is lopsided considering DHS would have 9 rides after Star Wars: Galaxies Edge opens.

DHS by 2020 already is going to have a not so great E-ticket to non E-ticket ratio. I consider the Mickey Trackless ride a E-ticket at this point and booth Star War Galaxy Edge rides at E-tickets also. Right now Star Tours, Rock'n Roller coaster and TOT are E-ticket rides.

From my View, DHS is very similar to AK in terms of a E-ticket to non e-ticket ratio.

Damon7777

I disagree in this case. If Toy Story Land had an E-ticket, that would give DHS 7 E-ticket rides :

So if you were given 3 cars you might prefer a Rolls Royce, Lamborghini and a Kia for the 3rd car in your driveway instead of a Bentley to avoid a lopsided ratio of high end to low end cars??

wdwfan4ver

No, Disney needs attractions that are worth our time and interest coupled with impressive throughput of 2,000+ guest per hour.

Lame, low budget experiences with high throughput is wasted opportunity.
The problem is E Ticket rides are basically are thrill rides now days. The days of an "E" ticket not being a thrill ride are long gone.

Adding thrill rides is great for WDW such as Epcot, but have to be careful with DHS. Disney theme parks are supposed to be for the family.

The problem with thrill rides is height for little kids and medical problems for some adults. Thrill rides are wonderful to have if the theme park has enough rides that aren't thrill rides. We all know DHS and AK have a problem with amount of rides in those two parks.

The truth is grandparents do go along to WDW with grandkids and it is very possible that some of them have medical prevents them on some rides like they had triple bypass surgery. Disney theme parks are supposed to be for all ages unlike six flags or an amusement park that my state has.

I mention an Amusement park that my state has because it basically caters to little kids for most rides for many generations and that is the opposite of Six Flags.

Last edited:

HansGruber

A nice little land...but somewhat barren and lacking.

Alien Swirling Saucers is a carnival ride.
Slinky Dog is a cool little coaster, but really lacks repeat rideability.
New entrance for Midway Mania is very cool, but it's just an entrance.

Overall, an underwhelming debut but will help make HS more appealing to children.
Although I don't know how much time kids will actually spend there. We were in and out pretty quickly.

wdwfan4ver

I don't understand what you are saying??

Are you saying there should be limits or absolute quotas on high end attractions?
What I am saying is there needs to a limit on thrill rides. E-tickets are basically thrill rides now if it is not a family coaster. The truth is DHS needed rides for kids.

From my own experience on trackless rides came from Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin. That ride is a E-ticket and is a thrill ride due.

BlakeW39

Agreed. We saw it in June. Loved FOP, but after we rode it, we left. The land itself didn't draw us in to explore like I had expected. We didn't even eat at the restaurant like we originally planned to.

Haha jokes on both because Africa is the best themed land imo lol though I like Pandora. I'll say this much. Pandora's theming is far more impressive than Potter, but even though Potter feels less grand, it has way more to actually do. Pandora is: wait in line for 3hr, ride FOP, wait 1hr, ride a dark ride with one animatronics and a few Universal level screens.

HansGruber

We dumped our kids with relatives and went to Pandora at night. Walked around for an hour, drank a green beer...and then left.

It was during EHMs and the rest of the park was closed.

Beautiful land; nothing to do.

Tom Morrow

We dumped our kids with relatives and went to Pandora at night. Walked around for an hour, drank a green beer...and then left.

I just wanted to make a correction here, you are mistaken. There are actually five things to do in Pandora:

- Na'Vi River Journey
- Eat food at the cantina
- Watch live entertainment
- Browse gift shop and stands

mergatroid

To be fair what other lands are there to 'do' many things other than ride in? For instance when you've ridden BTMR and Splash, how long would the average guest spend in Frontierland? Very few appear to visit Tom Sawyer Island and it's rare the boats around it are packed. Adventureland has JC and POTC (great rides) but beyond that many dislike the Tiki Birds or don't bother with the flying carpets or the treehouse.

Potter kind of introduced 'lands' with a lot of interactive stuff to do beyond the rides (and did it brilliantly). I doubt every land created from now on will have that as it also requires a hugely popular 'brand' to justify it. What I mean by that is a lot of Potter fans can get enjoyment just being in the land as they relate it to the brand they love. Going into a shop there is more than just a shop as they can scour the place for items relating to the movies and books that can be hidden in plain sight.

Galaxy;'s Edge will probably be similar in regards to die hard fans wanting to spend hours exploring every nook and cranny, a shop or restaurant there will be more than that as it relates to an already loved and proven 'brand'. Due to Star Wars huge popularity (similar to Potter) they know it's worth investing a lot in interactive elements beyond the rides in there such is the pull.

Without these levels of brand interest I can't see any land having the levels of details, or stuff to do like these two. I mean even if Disney added a duplicate of Disneyland's Carsland to the studios, beyond the superb theming and ride itself I don't see a reason for them to add as much detail as the other lands discussed as the 'brand' popularity probably wouldn't justify it. To me comparing other lands to these two is always going to be hard as I believe them both to be fairly unique in their guaranteed pulling power.

Damon7777

I can't believe that I have to remind a few around here but here we go:

Attractions are rides(which may or may not have a height requirement) and shows(which may or may not have a height requirement)

'E experiences' are top shelf attractions

Thus, an E can be a top shelf ride or show

I want more E's.

Last edited:

phillip9698

I can't believe that I have to remind a few around here but here we go:

Attractions are rides(which may or may not have a height requirement) and shows(which may or may not have a height requirement)

'E experiences' are top shelf attractions

Thus, an E can be a top shelf ride or show

I want more E's.

A ride can be top shelf without the cost or state of the art technology/ride system that designates an E. Are you saying there isnt room in the parks for attractions such as Peter Pan's Flight, Tom Sawyer's Island, Dumbo, People Mover, etc....?

Theme parks need balance, a park with nothing but E tickets is not a balanced park. Kids enjoy rides such as carousels, spinners, trains, swings, etc...none of which are anything close to an E. Those rides are also great to fill the time between standing in long lines for an E ticket.

HansGruber

I just wanted to make a correction here, you are mistaken. There are actually five things to do in Pandora:

- Na'Vi River Journey
- Eat food at the cantina
- Watch live entertainment
- Browse gift shop and stands

- Avatar: Flight of Passage - 1/2/3+ hour(s) wait
- Na'Vi River Journey - 1+ hour wait
- Eat food at the cantina - Yes, we could have spent 30 minutes eating
- Watch live entertainment - Situational
- Browse gift shop and stands - Generic

Listen, the design of the land is clearly it's main appeal, but that can be observed within an hour's time.
Food/ shops/ stands are a dime a dozen in Disney.

Damon7777

Are you saying there isnt room in the parks for attractions such as Peter Pan's Flight, Tom Sawyer's Island, Dumbo, People Mover, etc....?

Nope, not sure where you got that.

I hope not from my statement about adding lesser attractions at the expense of E's.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Kids enjoy rides such as carousels, spinners, trains, swings, etc...none of which are anything close to an E.

OK this is becoming foolish fast.
Those rides could be done in deluxe fashion if Disney wanted to do it. ......upon right execution they, too, could be E status and all ages and heights could enjoy.

HansGruber

To be fair what other lands are there to 'do' many things other than ride in? For instance when you've ridden BTMR and Splash, how long would the average guest spend in Frontierland? Very few appear to visit Tom Sawyer Island and it's rare the boats around it are packed. Adventureland has JC and POTC (great rides) but beyond that many dislike the Tiki Birds or don't bother with the flying carpets or the treehouse.

For starters...It's the fundamental shift to creating highly customized branded lands and the marketing of them that's the issue.
If you close the entire park during "Pandora EMHs", then be prepared to receive criticism when ride times approach 4 hours. Guests were leaving the park at 3-4 AM.
Now, I'm fully admitting the "Pandora EMHs" accentuates the issue. We just personally found ourselves ready to go home after about an hour in the land. There was really nothing else for us to do. We would have like to gone elsewhere in the park, but it was closed.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but no other lands receive their own EMHs.

Secondly...we're already a year+ out and the current ride times are 140 minutes and 60 minutes respectively. Perhaps a few more rides should have been built within the land to accommodate the traffic. Na'vi River is a pretty high-capacity ride and the wait is still outrageous. FoP I give a pass to because of the experience time and load-capacity. But surely adding one or two carnival rides would have help things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom