Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So basing it on wait times... Does that mean Spaceship Earth is a great ride in the morning but turns into a bad ride in the afternoon?
The difference between Spaceship Earth and TSL is that it takes FOREVER to walk over to Spaceship Earth once you're literally on ANY other attraction in the park. Toy Story Land doesn't really have that excuse in a park the size of HS.

YankeeMouse

Just got back and we enjoyed Slinky Dog. Rode in morning and then with a FP in evening. I would go back but not with the fervor of, say, FoP. I can't miss that when we are in WDW. It's cute and colorful. We were resort guests and got to Studios at 7:30 a.m., after the 7 a.m. opening for resort guests, and the wait was just 30 min, which in usual Disney fashion, turned out to be 20 min. Walked right onto TSM after that and now that 3 tracks are open, that will be less of a wait but the cast members were saying they were seeing less traffic there due to the 2 new rides. It was hot and humid and the food area is all outside so we decided to go eat in AC, so that was not a draw for us. An indoor counter service area would have kept us longer in the land. The fact that rides like 7DMR and FoP are still longer wait times during the day than anything at the new Toy Story Land after just a few days opening is kind of telling, I think.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Not every ride has to be aimed at you. It's okay to have some more kiddie rides in the parks.
Who said "kiddie rides" weren't OK? We are talking about E-Tickets, which by the way, are NOT necessarily thrilling or only for older kids. Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, The American Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and even Splash Mountain are/were all very kid friendly. What's in Toy Story Land today is not an E-Ticket on any level and could have been, even if solely aimed at children. It can be slow, educational, fun, and not thrilling and still be an E-Ticket.

crxbrett

This makes me wonder, though- what were the queue times like for the Dwarves' Mine Train like when it first opened? Anyone got any historical data? I was lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom when the first part of the New Fantasyland stuff was in softs but not the Mine Train. Every time I've been back the queue for that has been horrendous, but then so has the queue for all the popular Magic Kingdom rides because there's always a gazillion people in there.

So I looked at at the data and the wait times were averaging about 75 minutes the entire first summer it was open in 2014. I ended up picking 1 month, June, and got the averages for the wait times for that month each and every year since then.

June 2014 - 86 minute avg wait time
June 2015 - 83 minute avg wait time
June 2016 - 101 minute avg wait time
June 2017 - 103 minute avg wait time
June 2018 - 115 minute avg wait time

Obviously the parks getting really busy in the last 3 years made the avg wait time skyrocket now. The avg wait time declined 3 minutes the first year.

tomast

Who said "kiddie rides" weren't OK? We are talking about E-Tickets, which by the way, are NOT necessarily thrilling or only for older kids. Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, The American Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and even Splash Mountain are/were all very kid friendly. What's in Toy Story Land today is not an E-Ticket on any level and could have been, even if solely aimed at children. It can be slow, educational, fun, and not thrilling and still be an E-Ticket.

TSL feels too much like a stock mini-amusment park, I think an ip like Toy Story deserves better. The only thing that has a little of magic is TSM, the pre-existing ride, and for my personal taste its to much screen-centric. I had always hope to see a great "Disney style" atraction for Toy Story, and the building of the new land brought back a hope. But now I think i would never see that.

tomast

So I looked at at the data and the wait times were averaging about 75 minutes the entire first summer it was open in 2014. I ended up picking 1 month, June, and got the averages for the wait times for that month each and every year since then.

June 2014 - 86 minute avg wait time
June 2015 - 83 minute avg wait time
June 2016 - 101 minute avg wait time
June 2017 - 103 minute avg wait time
June 2018 - 115 minute avg wait time

Obviously the parks getting really busy in the last 3 years made the avg wait time skyrocket now. The avg wait time declined 3 minutes the first year.

Is there a way to see the first month avg waiting time?? so we can make a simple comparison

NormC

TSL feels too much like a stock mini-amusment park, I think an ip like Toy Story deserves better. The only thing that has a little of magic is TSM, the pre-existing ride, and for my personal taste its to much screen-centric. I had always hope to see a great "Disney style" atraction for Toy Story, and the building of the new land brought back a hope. But now I think i would never see that.
Have you visited it yet? YouTube doesn't count.

eliza61nyc

I never get the whole alphabet ride thing, i think pirates is the only ride on your list that i really like. I hate tgmr with the heat of 10 suns and am so glad its gone. Lol American adventure literally makes me want to say Im West Indian. I wouldn't claim either as fun or educational.

tomast

Have you visited it yet? YouTube doesn't count.
To be fair, i went last month when it was still building it, and then 3 or 4 times via youtube. So...

no I have not been there... yet!!. I am sure it will be a fun time there, but i think that they could have make it better, it has the same issue that pandora, you go there, ride the rides and then leave *. But in adition the rides are not a "must do" as pandora´s.

*versus potterland were you spend way longer walking and visiting the land that on atractions.

Oddysey

Having experienced the new TSL, I feel that it is not extraordinary in any way but will serve its purpose. Lets be honest, HS is not a particularly kid friendly place with respect to attractions. RNRC, ToT, Star Tours, and I expect the new Star Wars land will provide some thrilling rides heavily geared towards adults. TSL is not massively impressive by any means, but will serve as a place where younger children can experience attractions at HS.

At the moment TSL is a bit underwhelming, but I believe once the overhaul of the park is complete, TSL will serve its purpose and fit in just fine. It will serve HS the same way that MKs circus themed area serves MK overall. MK's circus area formerly known as Mickey's Toontown has never been overly impressive, but it works in the broader sense of providing all members of the family with something to do.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I never get the whole alphabet ride thing, i think pirates is the only ride on your list that i really like. I hate tgmr with the heat of 10 suns and am so glad its gone. Lol American adventure literally makes me want to say Im West Indian. I wouldn't claim either as fun or educational.
You don't like The Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain? Can I get a LOL?

I mean, you can say you hate Mickey and that's your opinion, but just remember you'd be in the minority on that as well as not really liking The Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. The Great Movie Ride is/was also pretty universally loved and Horizons was probably the most beloved ride of all time that is no more.

The American Adventure is a fantastic show with brilliant engineering and a great story. It's not all going to be 100% historically accurate down to the letter and will obviously skip a lot, but I'll be damned if it doesn't cover a lot of ground and tell the story in a respectful, classy manner.

tomast

Having experienced the new TSL, I feel that it is not extraordinary in any way but will serve its purpose. Lets be honest, HS is not a particularly kid friendly place with respect to attractions. RNRC, ToT, Star Tours, and I expect the new Star Wars land will provide some thrilling rides heavily geared towards adults. TSL is not massively impressive by any means, but will serve as a place where younger children can experience attractions at HS.

At the moment TSL is a bit underwhelming, but I believe once the overhaul of the park is complete, TSL will serve its purpose and fit in just fine. It will serve HS the same way that MKs circus themed area serves MK overall. MK's circus area formerly known as Mickey's Toontown has never been overly impressive, but it works in the broader sense of providing all members of the family with something to do.

Yes like a support land to SWL, kind of sad as toy story is a great IP. BTW they could have make a dark ride as DHS lack of.

eliza61nyc

You don't like The Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain? Can I get a LOL?

I mean, you can say you hate Mickey and that's your opinion, but just remember you'd be in the minority on that as well as not really liking The Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. The Great Movie Ride is/was also pretty universally loved and Horizons was probably the most beloved ride of all time that is no more.

The American Adventure is a fantastic show with brilliant engineering and a great story. It's not all going to be 100% historically accurate down to the letter and will obviously skip a lot, but I'll be damned if it doesn't cover a lot of ground and tell the story in a respectful, classy manner.
Lol. Nope splash mountain never floated my boat. Pun unintended. Can't remember the last time i road it. Same with space mtn .First time my kids rode space mtn was on their senior trip. Lol, we just never liked it. I do like runaway train. Haunted mansion is ok.
My favorites would be PotC, buzz lightyear, teacups and the peoplemover. I really like the 7 dwarf ride and sssh, like Aladdin's flying carpet.

I definitely know I'm in the minority, I tend to dance to a different beat in real life too.

I've gone to MK many a times and never got on any of the headliners. Go figure.
I've gone to Disney for long weekends and never stepped into a park.

I would admit to napping in the Hall of Presidents but that got me in hot water last time

Last edited:

Dave B

Lol. Nope splash mountain never floated my boat. Pun unintended. Can't remember the last time i road it. Same with space mtn .First time my kids rode space mtn was on their senior trip. Lol, we just never liked it. I do like runaway train. Haunted mansion is ok.
My favorites would be PotC, buzz lightyear, teacups and the peoplemover. I really like the 7 dwarf ride and sssh, like Aladdin's flying carpet.

I definitely know I'm in the minority, I tend to dance to a different beat in real life too.

I've gone to MK many a times and never got on any of the headliners. Go figure.
I've gone to Disney for long weekends and never stepped into a park.

I would admit to napping in the Hall of Presidents but that got me in hot water last time
The best place to nap is Carousel of Progress, it is so cool in there and the motion will put you right to sleep,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom