Toy Story Land Already Disappointing?

mergatroid

For starters...It's the fundamental shift to creating highly customized branded lands and the marketing of them that's the issue.
If you close the entire park during "Pandora EMHs", then be prepared to receive criticism when ride times approach 4 hours. Guests were leaving the park at 3-4 AM.
Now, I'm fully admitting the "Pandora EMHs" accentuates the issue. We just personally found ourselves ready to go home after about an hour in the land. There was really nothing else for us to do. We would have like to gone elsewhere in the park, but it was closed.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but no other lands receive their own EMHs.

Secondly...we're already a year+ out and the current ride times are 140 minutes and 60 minutes respectively. Perhaps a few more rides should have been built within the land to accommodate the traffic. Na'vi River is a pretty high-capacity ride and the wait is still outrageous. FoP I give a pass to because of the experience time and load-capacity. But surely adding one or two carnival rides would have help things.

Ok I see what you meant a little clearer now, apologies. If you're judging the land based on what you can do there when that's the only land in the park open, then you're looking at it from a different perspective. Again though that would also apply to most lands in most parks. For instance when we do HHN at Universal Diagon Alley is usually open and usually deserted. Last visit the ride there was a 5 minute wait at around 8pm and the show with the singers had a crowd of 8 people (I know as I counted them and one of the singers left the stage and danced with each of us in turn :cool:). My wife and I spent about 45 minutes there before leaving and to me that was about 10 minutes too long. Diagon Alley is superb and I'm not knocking it, but I wouldn't pay to go in if that was the only thing open nor any other land.

HansGruber

Helped? As in making any appreciable difference in entertaining us?
Sorry, but adding a Chester & Hester like offering will only hurt the cause by debasing the land.

Then what's the solution?

If you do stand-by for both rides, you are are effectively burning a third of your day in just one land.
If you don't go on either of the rides, there's not much else to do within the land other than the generic shop, drink, eat.

Lands can support carnival rides if they have big attraction rides to mitigate.

Damon7777

So you would adulterate a beautiful land-- the most scenic area Disney had ever created in the USA--with carnival grade attractions? WOW!
Do you know what's worse than too many guests? Too much ugly.

The solution would have been 2 more substantial attractions in Pandora: one Finding Nemo level indoor show and a 3rd ride - a trackless "dark" one approximating a Roger Cartoon Spin in duration and show scenes.

Of course that would never have happened.

And sadly it won't happen in Galaxy's Edge either.

Bairstow

So you would adulterate a beautiful land-- the most scenic area Disney had ever created in the USA--with carnival grade attractions? WOW!

The solution would have been 2 more substantial attractions in Pandora: one Finding Nemo level indoor show and a 3rd ride - a trackless "dark" one approximating a Roger Cartoon Spin in duration and show scenes.

I think Galaxy's Edge might turn out more satisfying than Pandora or Toy Story Land because the theme and concept tends to lend itself to lots of small shops, bars, and food offerings. The brilliance of both of the Harry Potter areas is that they were able to successfully re-contextualize the act of guests' shopping as actually exploring and finding out more about the fictional world. The fact that the Potter characters themselves do this made it a bit of a no-brainer, but this is something that Radiator Springs over in California does quite well too. Shopping at Windtraders or getting food from Andy's Lunchbox never feels participatory in the same way that exploring all the nooks and crannies of Diagon/Hogsmeade/Radiator Springs does, and hopefully the drive to sell as much Star Wars merch as possible will promote Disney to give the Star Wars area a similar fleshed-out, explorable feeling.

HansGruber

The solution would have been 2 more substantial attractions in Pandora...

I'm trying to be reasonable and practical here.
OBVIOUSLY 2 more substantial attractions would have been beneficial...but we have to strike a balance. I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt that NR, FoP and the theming of the land probably cost a fortune to produce. We can't expect them to create 2 additional mega attractions during the same period of time.

eliza61nyc

What's wrong with carnival attractions and why do you get to decide what is ugly?
Just asking. Seems like if you don't like it, it's automatically "unworthy" or if it's not a "E" attraction it's ugly.

Yes I think 2 more smaller rides would have been great.

I apologize if this sounds snarky, that is not my intention, I'm just trying to figure out why if you seem to deem a ride "carnival" like that means it's horrible.

Full disclosure: my kids loved "Hester and chester" when they were little. One of the few in AK that didn't scare them

Last edited:

Damon7777

What's wrong with carnival attractions

Nothing, I suppose, if I were inclined to go to a carnival.

What's wrong if I were served burnt grotesque corn dogs? Nothing, I suppose, if I were at a county fair.
But just don't bring those things to my California Grill table.

Are you starting to see where things belong and don't belong now?

Damon7777

Seems like if you don't like it, it's automatically "unworthy" or if it's not a "E" attraction it's ugly.

A fair comment to be sure.

But there are plenty attractions which I do not like and will avoid alltogether which I most defintely still deem "worthy":
Legend of Lion King
Philharmagic
all the meet n greets
Bibbi Bobby makeup for little girls
Tiki birds
Space Mountain

eliza61nyc

What's wrong if I were served burnt grotesque corn dogs? Nothing, I suppose, if I were at a county fair.

The problem is your scale. A "land" is servicing a wider variety of visitors that with a wide variety of "appetites" so must accommodate that. A restaurant doesn't have those issues (and I grew up in my family's soul food restaurant in NYC). California Grill has a menu that caters to a "specific" taste bud. so a visitor would not look there if they wanted country fare BUT they could be assured that somewhere on Disney property they will find corn dogs.

Also, at California Grill, they most certainly can (I know they don't) 'OFFER' corn dogs because and here is what makes this so great, at a restaurant you have the ability to order exactly what you like. they do offer pizza which is probably just as ubiquitous as corn dogs.

A land has to offer some thing for everything. It's funny because I hate space mountain, do I get to therefor say "no more" indoor coaster rides should be built because they "don't belong". no, I move on to the attractions that do fit for me

So no I do not 'see" or agree with "what belongs" because I want like the ability of offering "both"

Or is it more of the fact you don't feel these rides are technologically advanced enough?

last fyi. I am a Manhattan born and bred gal so I've never been to a country fair in my life. so actually getting to ride them at Disney IS fun for me.

Last edited:

HansGruber

But who cares! Tea Cups, Dumbo and the Carousel each occupy guests. And all are surrounded by mega attractions.
I've never been on the Carousel, but it clearly fits the theming of the land.

Full disclosure, I've never been to Storybook Circus...but given the pictures and rides, I would wholeheartedly agree that Disney packed it in with that land.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm trying to be reasonable and practical here.
OBVIOUSLY 2 more substantial attractions would have been beneficial...but we have to strike a balance. I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt that NR, FoP and the theming of the land probably cost a fortune to produce. We can't expect them to create 2 additional mega attractions during the same period of time.
I wonder what internet forums would have been like when all of MGM Studios opened with 2 attractions.

jaklgreen

Not every ride has to be aimed at you. It's okay to have some more kiddie rides in the parks.

This is exactly what I was thinking reading through this thread. WDW can't just keep making big E-ticket rides for thrill seekers. WDW is a FAMILY park. Something that a few people keep forgetting. People want rides that family members of every age can go on together.

higgipoker

We loved slinky dog. It’s a lot of fun and definitely not just for kiddies. I enjoy the hulk and rockit at universal so it’s not like I’m only into the mild rides :)

For sure worth a ride for everyone!

The alien spin ride was a bit disappointing though.

Toy story mania as awesome as ever, has always been one of my fav attractions and woodys lunch box (isn’t it Andy’s lunch box?) does a lovely vegan cheese toasted sammich! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom