Rumor Tower of Terror to gain new theme?

Bairstow

This. California Adventure was an EXTREMELY well put together park, until Breakout came. And now they're killing it further with Pixar Pier. As for the comments about DCA's tower being inferior, I thought the multi-level boiler room was cool. And having ridden DHS's first and not knowing that there was no dimension scene, I have never been more genuinely shocked than when that elevator dropped without first lurching forward. For a split second I genuinely thought I was done for it.

It's not often that I hear someone arguing that the original California Adventure was well put together. I thought the consensus was that it was a weak concept built on the cheap, and that the current, decade-long rebuild is meant to correct that.

Or do you mean that the status of the park as it was two years ago was sufficiently "corrected"?

FigmentFan3

It's not often that I hear someone arguing that the original California Adventure was well put together. I thought the consensus was that it was a weak concept built on the cheap, and that the current, decade-long rebuild is meant to correct that.

Or do you mean that the status of the park as it was two years ago was sufficiently "corrected"?
Around the 60th. My bad for not clarifying

Tom Morrow

I would be okay with keeping the same story but removing references to The Twilight Zone. In many ways this would be an improvement to the attraction. The 5th dimension scene - which is cheap looking with outdated effects, does nothing to enhance the story of the Hollywood Tower Hotel - all you are seeing are the items from the opening sequence.

Movielover

Well, with the whole Disney-Fox merger thing, they could retheme it as "Die Hard:Escape From Nakatomi Towers" Yippie ki-yay....

Plus since Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever the ride will already have it's own holiday overlay, thus eliminating a month long closure each year and ensuring that special holiday merchandise can be sold all year round. It's a win for everyone!!!!!

Just have to make sure this sweater is in the gift shop!

1515490697743.png

They could even have a AA of William Atherton after the gift shop that you can punch in the face! This will be the greatest ride ever!!!!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
The Twilight Zone IP allows for a meta premise that works so well with the theme of the park. You are going into a lost episode of the TV show. None of this Toy Story Land crap, where the very weak connection is that the land is based on a franchise that originated on the big screen. No, this actually involves the medium as part of its premise. Nevermind the golden-age Hollywood focus. The Tokyo version is arguably a stronger ride on its own (not that I agree), but it would certainly be weaker in relation to the park.

Bingo. If they removed the TZ elements and references it just wouldn't be as an effective experience. I would also be pretty disappointed as the TZ is one of my favorite shows and picking out all the clever nods in the attraction is a real joy. Shoehorning another IP ala Mission: Cash Grab or going with a generic haunted hotel story would be just lame.

FigmentForver96

TZ is not needed but it is the perfect example of IP used right. The show always lended itself to the creepy and mysterious. In its day, the show was different and also was known for not always having the happy ending. It made us feel uneasy and often left people dazed. This is the exact feelings Tower of Terror is suppose to convey. From the moment you enter the park, the tower sets the story with the world around it. TZ works well to enhance the story as the little things push or further. For example: the "not Rod Serling but suppose to be Rod Serling" narration in the shaft is absolutely creepy and foreboding and causes anticipation for what's to come. The one thing that I hated about DCA Tower was the stupid narration was just awful and cheesy.

The ride is fine and a true classic. They've already destroyed one gem in the park, don't destroy the other.

Nubs70

Huh? SotS is Disney based. And what IP was JII?

I'm talking about third-party IPs. People just are so attached to this one because it has been there so long. If Disney were trying to build ToT today, people would be all "Why does Disney need an IP for everything? Why can't they just make their own unique attraction?"
People are so attached to ToT because it is good. Lately, 3rd party IP have been slapped together crap.

Nubs70

What was the last 3rd party IP Disney added?
TOT:DL Guardians Edition

Pandora began prior and finished after TOT:DL Gairdians Addition.

Pandora may well develop and deserve to be in the same class of 3rd party IP. TOT:DL Guardians Edition is the latest model of Flap Jack Shack refurb sold as a new attraction.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The Twilight Zone IP allows for a meta premise that works so well with the theme of the park. You are going into a lost episode of the TV show. None of this Toy Story Land crap, where the very weak connection is that the land is based on a franchise that originated on the big screen. No, this actually involves the medium as part of its premise. Nevermind the golden-age Hollywood focus. The Tokyo version is arguably a stronger ride on its own (not that I agree), but it would certainly be weaker in relation to the park.

Buzz Lightyear may be a stronger character than Captain Phasma on his own, but would you rather see him than her in Star Wars?

I don't think that's the premise of DHS anymore. Now, it's about immersion into specific world's created in the movies/TV shows. With TSL it's immersion into the world of Toys with the setting of Andy's back yard. With SWGE it's immersion into the Star Wars universe. Even with the Mickey ride it's immersion into Mickey's world. It's not about the medium anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom