Tower of Terror Thread!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The rolling unit is called an AGV - Autonomous Guided Vehicle. It is a self contained car with power, wheels, computers and such, and follows a guide wire (or puck) in the floor. The floor is level.

I can`t find the car figure at the mo; I`m sure a resident bellhop will help. Yes, they can store cars if needed and swap faulty ones out. Try a thread search for diagrams of the attraction ;)

toetheline29

Since there's a few "resident bellhops" around here, as the previous poster said, this might not be a bad place for this question. I know that CMs are very limited in what they can say about their work (at least, that's what I've gathered from reading these boards), but is ToT in general a decent place to work (relative to other attractions)? It seems like the atmosphere would be amazing to work in.

Also, is this a role that a CP participant can get, or is it mostly non-CP workers?

(Obviously, anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on this :).)

Cmdr_Crimson

i found it!

In order to license their tower as "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror," Oriental Land Company would have to pay license fees to BOTH Disney and CBS per the CBS/Disney agreements, and then a second time to CBS per a CBS/Oriental Land Company agreement. Business negotiations broke down, and the Oriental Land Company decided not to go with the Twilight Zone theme, thereby saving tens of millions of dollars in license fees over the next ten years. Some would argue that Japan has already dumped near 100 million dollars into constructing their Tower, so why not just pay the fees? Because the fees could wind up costing OLC half a billion dollars over the next decade, and with Tokyo Disney Sea's attendance records not as high as execs at OLC and Disney had hoped, they need to save money where they can get it.
at towerofterror.org.
lol. how credible is that site?

It's interesting since they also mention one of the other verisons prior to The Twilight Zone was one themed around Mel Brooks Young Frankenstien then changed to "Mel Brooks' Hollywood Horror Hotel"... http://www.towerofterror.org/history/early-development

Tom Morrow

To answer a few questions...

There are 10 AGV vehicles total, and 99% of the time we run 4 vehicles on each side, so 8 total cycling. One of the spares is stored in a room designed only to hold a spare vehicle, the other is stored in the maitenance bay, which is also on the ground floor.
Since there's a few "resident bellhops" around here, as the previous poster said, this might not be a bad place for this question. I know that CMs are very limited in what they can say about their work (at least, that's what I've gathered from reading these boards), but is ToT in general a decent place to work (relative to other attractions)? It seems like the atmosphere would be amazing to work in.

Also, is this a role that a CP participant can get, or is it mostly non-CP workers?

(Obviously, anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on this :).)
It has it's ups and downs. :animwink:

Literally though, despite some issues which I won't get into here, its definitely one of the best frontline CM roles at WDW. Its not for everyone, and not everyone that ends up working there enjoys it, but I have a lot of fun with it.

And yes, we get many CPs.

goodtimes5286

To answer a few questions...

There are 10 AGV vehicles total, and 99% of the time we run 4 vehicles on each side, so 8 total cycling. One of the spares is stored in a room designed only to hold a spare vehicle, the other is stored in the maitenance bay, which is also on the ground floor.It has it's ups and downs. :animwink:

Literally though, despite some issues which I won't get into here, its definitely one of the best frontline CM roles at WDW. Its not for everyone, and not everyone that ends up working there enjoys it, but I have a lot of fun with it.

And yes, we get many CPs.
Some of the best attraction CM's were at ToT. I think the best one I ever had was actually at ToT aswell. I remembered he kept doing different things (b/c my dad and i loop it like 4-6x in a row) just to scare guests. He would walk up behind guests right after the TV cut out so when the lights came back on....BAM!

I coulda sworn he was the dude on the ToT picture, but maybe I'm just imagening things :shrug:

jeffk410

If you want a good read about TOT. The Disney Imagineer's book has a solid 4 pages on TOT. It is really interesting, but basically I would recommend that book to anyone.

jonnyc

I don't think this has been mentioned already in this thread...

The World's greatest feeling: When you first enter the AC.

If seems like the AC at TOT is superior to other attractions, to create this magical feeling.

I always take some pictures while I am waiting in Line at TOT...
Did you ride TOT when it first opened? It was so much different than it is now. I think back then it was even more scary. They used to drop it all the way down..and you didn't even know when it would happen at all. It was crazy. The first time I rode I sat right in front and they didn't have the belts they have now, I thought I was going to fall right out of it.
Wished I had that picture of me to post. It was the funniest thing ever.
:ROFLOL::hammer:

Helena123

If you want a good read about TOT. The Disney Imagineer's book has a solid 4 pages on TOT. It is really interesting, but basically I would recommend that book to anyone.

Is this the exact title of the book? I tryed searching for it but so many titles came up. Or is it only avaliable from disney?

WishIwasThere

Here is a ToT worldwide fact for you:

Otis elevator supplied the ToT equipment for WDW, DCA, and DLP versions.
Mitsubishi supplied the equipment for TDS version.

The ropes in the elevators get replaced every six months. Unlike the old 'hydrolators' at the United Technologies sponsored TLS, no where will you see the word OTIS on the elevators.

toetheline29

I've always kinda thought they should provide a staircase option for people who decide they don't want to ride after all. It's always struck me as a little mean (but, also, a little amusing) to make the children who are too scared to go on the ride take an elevator out (after they've sat through the pre-show and KNOW what happens in these elevators), since, in my experience, most of them can't/don't distinguish between a ride elevator and the regular one used for guests who don't ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom