Tower of Terror Thread!

idk, but i think im the only one that prefers the Twilight Zone theming instead of Mr. Harrison Hightower (even though he's based off my FAVORITE imageneer!!). I think the whole made up gremlin thing is a bit overdone, and the incorporation of an iconic american tv show with THE iconic theme park company was a perfect meld. Although I do understand completly why it was done that way in japan, they wern't as big with that TZ show.

Also I think it was 10x better with the bar over the belt. I remember my sister getting in there with my dad and I (he was about 250 and i was about 225 at the time, she was all cheerleader 90lbs soaking wet). Even with the tightest grasp, floating inches off the seat was unreal. I envy her experience to this day.....

I too much prefer the Twilight Zone theming. The orginal TZ that the ride was based off of was so well done, a constant unexpected plot made that show a must see, just like ToT with the random drop sequences.

glendroid

Original Poster
the reason i love the florida one so much is because of the random choice between the 4 sequences.

but the tokyo one another reason they didnt choose the TZ theme was money.

glendroid

Original Poster
Believe me, that's not true at all. If OLC wanted to use the Twilight Zone theme, they wouldn't have had a problem with paying for it.

i read somewhere that by choosing to not go with the TZ theme they were saving a large sum of money on licensing fees.

still deep down everything is a business and reducing costs is always important right?

i dont want to start arguments hahha

i'm just saying what i read.

goodtimes5286

the reason i love the florida one so much is because of the random choice between the 4 sequences.

but the tokyo one another reason they didnt choose the TZ theme was money.
DCA uses the TZ theming and it's cheeper than our version (and im pretty sure tokyos is more expensive....)

LOL actually i just looked it up, Disney Sea's ToT is the most expensive version, trumping the other 3 TZ versions. Plus they have castmembers tell the story, making the cost to run it larger b/c the needing of more cast members. But if you look at matenince (sp?) costs, we take the cake b/c ours moves laterally.

That's just like disney, go elaborate over seas, take your most profitable and most competative (sea world, IoA, wet and wild, Universal, etc) parks for granted, and neglect WDW. Thanks management, your the best (insert thumbs up here)!

SirGoofy

i read somewhere that by choosing to not go with the TZ theme they were saving a large sum of money on licensing fees.

still deep down everything is a business and reducing costs is always important right?

i dont want to start arguments hahha

i'm just saying what i read.

Oh, I'm not trying to start an argument. I know it's a business, but OLC runs their Disney parks like Dinsey should run their parks. They shell out the dough for world class attractions.

DCA uses the TZ theming and it's cheeper than our version (and im pretty sure tokyos is more expensive....)

LOL actually i just looked it up, Disney Sea's ToT is the most expensive version, trumping the other 3 TZ versions. Plus they have castmembers tell the story, making the cost to run it larger b/c the needing of more cast members. But if you look at matenince (sp?) costs, we take the cake b/c ours moves laterally.

That's just like disney, go elaborate over seas, take your most profitable and most competative (sea world, IoA, wet and wild, Universal, etc) parks for granted, and neglect WDW. Thanks management, your the best (insert thumbs up here)!

:lol:

Exactly.

glendroid

Original Poster
i found it!

In order to license their tower as "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror," Oriental Land Company would have to pay license fees to BOTH Disney and CBS per the CBS/Disney agreements, and then a second time to CBS per a CBS/Oriental Land Company agreement. Business negotiations broke down, and the Oriental Land Company decided not to go with the Twilight Zone theme, thereby saving tens of millions of dollars in license fees over the next ten years. Some would argue that Japan has already dumped near 100 million dollars into constructing their Tower, so why not just pay the fees? Because the fees could wind up costing OLC half a billion dollars over the next decade, and with Tokyo Disney Sea's attendance records not as high as execs at OLC and Disney had hoped, they need to save money where they can get it.

at towerofterror.org.

lol. how credible is that site?

SirGoofy

No clue honestly. I had never heard that before. Interesting.

But 500 mil over a decade? Seems a bit steep even if you are paying royalties to two companies.:shrug:

goodtimes5286

Oh, I'm not trying to start an argument. I know it's a business, but OLC runs their Disney parks like Dinsey should run their parks. They shell out the dough for world class attractions.
How does that whole thing come in with the oriental land company? like who pays for the attractions (or what percentage), how much does disney make offa the park, etc?
i found it!

In order to license their tower as "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror," Oriental Land Company would have to pay license fees to BOTH Disney and CBS per the CBS/Disney agreements, and then a second time to CBS per a CBS/Oriental Land Company agreement. Business negotiations broke down, and the Oriental Land Company decided not to go with the Twilight Zone theme, thereby saving tens of millions of dollars in license fees over the next ten years. Some would argue that Japan has already dumped near 100 million dollars into constructing their Tower, so why not just pay the fees? Because the fees could wind up costing OLC half a billion dollars over the next decade, and with Tokyo Disney Sea's attendance records not as high as execs at OLC and Disney had hoped, they need to save money where they can get it.

at towerofterror.org.

lol. how credible is that site?
"However, this version is cited as the most elaborate themed of the four, as well as the most expensive version, at an estimated $190 million."

yes hypothetically your right it coulda costed more for the TZ theming and I didn't know that, but in reality it still is the most expensive, even with the royalities.
"Because the fees could wind up costing OLC half a billion dollars over the next decade."

from what you quoted in you previous post.
:ROFLOL:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LOL actually i just looked it up, Disney Sea's ToT is the most expensive version,
To build, yes, since TDS is landfill with no shallow rock, plus it`s earthquake proof. I know, so is DCA, but the foundation makes a lot of difference. The ammount of steel in that thing is daft.

Oh, and it is so incredibly themed. But yes, the ride layout and system is the cheaper one used in DCA and WDSP. Still clever, but it ain`t no AGV.

Trivia; WDSPs TOT is unique in that it is built out of concrete, not steel frame like it`s 2 sisters.
Or is that brothers? :D

LoriMistress

I love ToT! DCA theming sucks, but I like aspects of the ride itself. I would love to visit other Disney parks that are not in the states (Paris, Tokoyo, Hong Kong).

disneytopdog

I have a question.......When you roll from the start of the 5th demension. It appears that there is a screen or door of some sort in front of you that slides open and the light breaks through the edges of it. All this happens before you get in the drop shaft. WHAT is that? is it a screen or a door? What kind of light source are they using to illuminate just the edges? or am I just seeing things?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s a door... well, 2 doors, into the drop shaft. If it all works there is the fibre optic stars which shrink to a point, a strobe flash in the point, then the white strip of light which I guess is thermoplastic or similar. Then the doors open using this strip as the edge of each door.

Captain Hank

Regarding a question posed earlier that I don't believe was addressed:

I recall reading somewhere that there was supposed to be an ending monologue given by Rod Sterling (either re-used footage, like in the pre-show, or a look-alike) at the bottom of the drop shaft, but it was found that early test-riders were still screaming through most of it, drowning it out. Thus, the random montage was put in place instead. The silent footage of Rod Sterling zooming by is the only remaining part of this.

Tom Morrow

my sister loves hollywood tower of terror! (me not so much bet whatever). :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:it's really funny tome how a bunch of peole are slowly coming to love this ride!
There is no attraction called the Hollywood Tower of Terror.

The correct name is The Hollywood Haunted Scary House of Doom people, come ON

its located next to "Aerosmith"

disneytopdog

It`s a door... well, 2 doors, into the drop shaft. If it all works there is the fibre optic stars which shrink to a point, a strobe flash in the point, then the white strip of light which I guess is thermoplastic or similar. Then the doors open using this strip as the edge of each door.

Thanks Marni,

When the ride unit rolls forward thru the 5th deminsion to the drop shaft, is this achieved by an on-board motor or is the floor slightly tilted and gravity moves it forward?

also

how many ride units are there on the entire ride. Do they have extras in a shed somewhere beneath the ride that they can switch out units that are not working correctly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom