Tortuga just might be on its way!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I think this could be one of the better ideas I've heard in awhile. I was in the building for MNSSHP in October, and I couldn't believe how much space was back there. I guess I never realized it.

I can see it now....closed windows with voices of scheming pirates behind them. Possible animatronics or a spot for a awesome character lunch/dinner with Jack Sparrow and crew.

Shaman

That is the ONLY concern I have with this project. That's why a part of me wishes they would simply expand El Pirata into this and open the Verandah as its own counter service place. But, there are likely space issues that simply make the Verandah the larger choice.

Well...Port Royale is not near Tortuga...so some distance between the the POTC attraction and the eatery may not be such a bad thing theme-wise. :lookaroun

Epcot82Guy

Well...Port Royale is not near Tortuga...so some distance between the the POTC attraction and the eatery may not be such a bad thing theme-wise. :lookaroun

Clearly you are a manager over in Tomorrowland... :zipit:

Although, yes, I think the decision is likely out of cheapest transformation costs (since El Pirata would need construction to be the same size) which makes sense in the real world.

I do wonder what the fate of El Pirata would be with this, though. Just logistically, it would seem this would need to be retooled somewhat so there aren't two "pirate" restaurants and the resulting confusion. We'll see soon, though, I guess how this will all work. And count me in on wanting to see some fun "drunken" pirate fights. ARRRRR!

Shaman

Clearly you are a manager over in Tomorrowland... :zipit:

Although, yes, I think the decision is likely out of cheapest transformation costs (since El Pirata would need construction to be the same size) which makes sense in the real world.

I do wonder what the fate of El Pirata would be with this, though. Just logistically, it would seem this would need to be retooled somewhat so there aren't two "pirate" restaurants and the resulting confusion. We'll see soon, though, I guess how this will all work. And count me in on wanting to see some fun "drunken" pirate fights. ARRRRR!

It would be cool if they used this concept as a test. One which if successful should be expanded and somehow connected to the actual attraction.

pacochran

My son would love a place like this. Like others said, he like "oh another princess thing". If there were actors play fighting, we would never get him out of that place. Let's hope it's true.

PhilharMagician

Well it would be nice to finally get something in there. Disney really needs to get some more Sit down and counter service restaurants. I was really shocked this past December 1st we tried to get lunch in MK and the lines for the quick service restaurants were nearly out the doors. Columbia Harbor House was backed up to nearly the Hall of Presidents. We needed fast passes to get something to eat! I can imagine how it is during Christmas week when the park is phased or near it.

shoppingnut

This would be fantastic, I'd take my both nephews to this restaurant in a heartbeat. I just hope it isn't going to be another buffet or a so-called sit down restaurant where the meals are plated like how they ruined CRT for dinner. There is currently no real dining experience in MK and Tony's doesn't count as the food is terrible there for dinner.

There is far too much princess stuff being shoved down your throat and not enough for boys. I've felt that Disney was missing out on an entire market by ignoring the boys and there is so much they could do with buzz lightyear too.

Hummer1676

I have to agree. I can't wait to see Jack being turned over an open pit. It will be great to have something for the boys to look foward to. It would be cool to see the animatronics tied into the ship on Dead Man's Chest. How cool would that be if you sat down in a ship and there was a face or an arm coming out of the wall reacting to your movements. Friggin sweet...

Epcot82Guy

It would be cool if they used this concept as a test. One which if successful should be expanded and somehow connected to the actual attraction.

That would be an interesting approach, although I don't know how practical it would be. But, I would absolutely love seeing a bit more done to the Frontierland side of the Carribbean Plaza arch. I think having some rockwork that led into this area could transition quite well from the sedimentary rock of Splash and Fronteirland to the more weathered rock of a Carribbean island. But, I am pipedreaming now. :lol:

The ultimate would be for some placement over or near the queue area where you could actually see a teaser of the raucusness from the ride line. I can't think of a logistical way to do this absent some fairly major construction.

Hummer1676

Pirates Themed Restaurant "Tortuga" on its way

I really like this idea. I really hope they do this. The imagineers can do so much with this. I really hope they do something with the Flying Dutchmen with animatronics that would be sweet.

DME

Can someone refresh my memory as to where the Veranda actually was? Was it directly across from the PotC?

figmntal95

This past week I had the pleasure of catching up with some old CM buddies and I got a few interesting pieces of news to share. Well it looks like Tortuga from Pirates of the Caribbean will be going into the old Verenda restaurant in Adventureland. Its been empty for years and with the new dining plan the demand for sit down restaurants has been through the roof. From what I understand is that they want Tortuga to be the equivalant of the Royal Table restaurant in the castle for boys. This plan is moving along very quickly inside Disney. Everyone seems to be very excited about it and the budget keeps jumping up. It seems they want to spend big money on this project and have animatronic figures throughout the restaurant. I was told it will be greenlit very soon and as soon as it does construction will begin immediatly.

The other news I got was about the apartment in the castle. As of this past Wednsday night it has been completed and the first person to stay there was the MKs own Phil Holmes. For the next 2 weeks different Disney execs will be staying there right up to the big press event at the end of January. Then some unknown "celebrity" will call it home for the night followed by the first guests to stay there the following day with all of the media watching. From the fist hand accounts I have heard the apartment is beutifull. They really spared no expense and did an amazing job with the theme.

If any one has any questions let me know I'll tell you what I know.

do you think that it might be a character dine in?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can someone refresh my memory as to where the Veranda actually was? Was it directly across from the PotC?
Nope - that`s one of the issues. It was furthest away from Caribbean Plaza; the first building on the right as you enter Adventureland from the hub.

JimboJones123

That would be an interesting approach, although I don't know how practical it would be. But, I would absolutely love seeing a bit more done to the Frontierland side of the Carribbean Plaza arch. I think having some rockwork that led into this area could transition quite well from the sedimentary rock of Splash and Fronteirland to the more weathered rock of a Carribbean island. But, I am pipedreaming now. :lol:

The ultimate would be for some placement over or near the queue area where you could actually see a teaser of the raucusness from the ride line. I can't think of a logistical way to do this absent some fairly major construction.

Lower Pirates CS and make a new walkway.

disneypearl

This past week I had the pleasure of catching up with some old CM buddies and I got a few interesting pieces of news to share. Well it looks like Tortuga from Pirates of the Caribbean will be going into the old Verenda restaurant in Adventureland. Its been empty for years and with the new dining plan the demand for sit down restaurants has been through the roof. From what I understand is that they want Tortuga to be the equivalant of the Royal Table restaurant in the castle for boys. This plan is moving along very quickly inside Disney. Everyone seems to be very excited about it and the budget keeps jumping up. It seems they want to spend big money on this project and have animatronic figures throughout the restaurant. I was told it will be greenlit very soon and as soon as it does construction will begin immediatly.

The other news I got was about the apartment in the castle. As of this past Wednsday night it has been completed and the first person to stay there was the MKs own Phil Holmes. For the next 2 weeks different Disney execs will be staying there right up to the big press event at the end of January. Then some unknown "celebrity" will call it home for the night followed by the first guests to stay there the following day with all of the media watching. From the fist hand accounts I have heard the apartment is beutifull. They really spared no expense and did an amazing job with the theme.

If any one has any questions let me know I'll tell you what I know.

So, has anyone heard anymore of this? Is there anymore talk of a Tortuga restaurant in Adventurland? I sure hope this rumor didn't die because I think it is an excellent idea.

ToTBellHop

yes, there is still talk of it. Who knows what will really happen, though. Basically every WDI project has reached a temporary stand-still, and projects that were likely to occur may be cancelled while shelved projects may have their accumulated dust blown off. We'll see...

Shaman

If they are considering building a mini-land around the PotC attraction at WDW (something similar to what they have at DL only on a much bigger scale [to counter Potter?]), I'd imagine they would wait for that before adding a Pirates restaurant. No sense in moving stuff around later on...

Of course, there are no real indications that they're even considering what I've mentioned...

Would be cool though.

docandsix

Respectfully Disagree...

I have thus far refrained from weighing in on this subject, but this seems like the appropriate moment. Consider how well (read, "poorly") At World's End is doing at the box office, and then wonder how foolish and short-sighted it would be if Disney scrapped Adventureland in favor of the current pirate fad. And that's exactly what it is--a fad that is already fading, judging from the poor word of mouth for the third film (emanating even from my children), which explains its plummeting box office rankings.

While the Indiana Jones attraction at Disneyland has its place in Adventureland, I am glad that no one was foolish enough to convert the entire area into "Indyland," or Tomorrowland into "Star Wars World." Investing so much money and theming into a passing fancy would rob any WDW area of the timelessness necessary to stand up to scrutiny over time and, I think, would be a tremendous mistake.

One pirate restaurant would be fine, I suppose. But please let it stop there and leave Adventureland alone. Oh, and while they're (not) at it, perhaps they could begin to get the pirate merchadise off of every sales cart and shop shelf throughout the entire resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom