Toontown expansion into the Speedway Area

comics101

I don't know how difficult it would be, but couldn't you move the entrance to Indy to Toon Town and then change the theme to cars. looking at windows live local, it doesn't look like it would be that hard, it seems they have a pretty open area to put in a new entrance. And if they were to make it a "Cars" theme, it could NEVER go in Tommorowland.

Just my Thoughts...

imagineer boy

comics101 said:
I don't know how difficult it would be, but couldn't you move the entrance to Indy to Toon Town and then change the theme to cars. looking at windows live local, it doesn't look like it would be that hard, it seems they have a pretty open area to put in a new entrance. And if they were to make it a "Cars" theme, it could NEVER go in Tommorowland.

Just my Thoughts...

Well, it wouldn't work well in Fantaseyland either, 21st century red neck cars driving around in a Fairy tale village? Nuh uh... There's still always the studios...

MMP

In my opinion kids could enjoy the go-carts at their local go-cart track and enjoy two or three more attractions at DisneyWorld that are better themed than a plan old go-cart ride. I think ToonTown could use a few more additions and something new in TommorowLand couldn't hurt.

Mecha Figment

the only space to expand is in the 20k lot. behind the railroad tracks is nothing but a slimy retention pond, some trees and a backstage road. there really isn't that much space there at all.

Scar Junior

1. I agree with MMP. Go carts tend to be a bit on the tacky side and Disney can do without. While people still love them, if after the 20K construction is completed (whatever/whenever that may be), and they are still looking for room... I would hope Disney would at least consider this vast amount of space. There is easily enough room for 1-3 attractions, depending on size and theme.

2. I must disagree with Mecha's logic. Trees, a pond and a road can all be moved. Even if it was a building used for storage or catering, (etc.) that's no reason why it couldn't/wouldn't be moved (as also discussed with DS and Epcot expansion threads).

CThaddeus

Scar Junior said:
Personally, I don't know. I can see how it could happen, but if it is the 'Disney Classic' you claim it is, why would they change it? That logic doesn't register with me.

Don't forget what just happened with Pirates of the Caribbean. My guess is very few would argue it isn't a classic, yet they did just change it. Some may say they were small changes; personally I would say the whole story has been altered.
I'm all for linking the Speedway into Toontown or Fantasyland. It doesn't belong as part of Tomorrowland (I wish they'd kept the Fantasyland entrance for the Autopia in Disneyland when that was redone in 2000, too), and as someone else mentioned, I agree that the Cars theming would fit in nicely. They're talking, "living" cars, after all. You can't get much more fantastic than that. Then they could just put in some large hedges or something to act as a way to separate the Speedway from Tomorrowland.

Plutoboy

Original Poster
The Speedway is not a classic!!!! Sorry to go against the grain here but a classic would be something of an E-ticket (back in the days) like a POTC, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, IASW.... you get the point. Especially if the "refreshing the classics" program is still in place as it seems it is then Disney has proven that they will change or update a classic.

Also in regard to whatever is behind the Speedway but stay within the perimeters of the park and there is plenty of land to use in the spot of the speedway.

Original19

Plutoboy said:
I can remember back when I first started with Disney that there was talk of expanding ToonTown across the Rail Road Tracks and making the expansion where the Villains lived. I think this is where the whole Shadowlands park concept started getting steam ... What do you think??

What ever happened to the "Villian Mountain" concept that was supposed to be the big gate buster attraction to replace 20,000 Leagues?

If I remember correctly these supposed plans had guests boarding the ride from inside a "new land" toward the backside of the mountain. The big drop (the weenie) would be out front where the 20K lagoon used to be. Guests exiting the attraction were to have made their way out of Disney's new land (then titled Villain Village or The Shadowlands) by retracing their steps into Fantasyland or by wandering down into Mickey's Toontown Fair. I think there was even some talk of creating some sort of a transition zone between Toontown Fair and "Villain Village"; possibly featuring Black Pete. Makes sense to me anyway...

...yeah, so what ever happened to that rumor? Was there ever any merit to this rumor?

Ringo8n24

batman3101 said:
I think there's many of us that the Indy Speedway was our first chance to "drive". That fact alone makes it a classic. You can't even consider removing it. Just because it's not thrilling to you, doesn't mean a five year old doesn't love it.

I agree. My daughter has singled this attraction out from the vacation DVD as the one ride she is looking forward to going on since she is big enough now to "drive" them. She was too small when she went last time. How many others could be like her anticipating their next trip and get that first chance to "drive" at WDW?

Lee

Adventurer
Original19 said:
What ever happened to the "Villian Mountain" concept that was supposed to be the big gate buster attraction to replace 20,000 Leagues?

...yeah, so what ever happened to that rumor? Was there ever any merit to this rumor?

Yes the rumors had merit. A "Villian Village" featuring a thrill ride was a proposal for that site at one time.
Far as I know, it's still a proposal....only just sitting there getting dusty at the moment.

MK is looking at getting an E-ticket quite soon, and the 20k spot is one of at least 3, maybe 4, spots being looked at. Not likely they'll rip out the speedway with as many available pads as they have.

DisneyRoxMySox

Lee said:
MK is looking at getting an E-ticket quite soon, and the 20k spot is one of at least 3, maybe 4, spots being looked at. Not likely they'll rip out the speedway with as many available pads as they have.

Can you tell us what are the other spots they are looking at? :veryconfu
Please?:)

Lee

Adventurer
20K.
Tomorrowland in the theatre and skyway spots.
Adventureland. (One spot I know of, but I hear there may be another)

DisneyRoxMySox

Lee said:
20K.

I had a feeling about the first two. But I am having trouble with the oads in Adventureland. The only one I can think of is behind Pirates.

Thank you!

CaptainMichael

Lee said:
20K.
20K-Obvious
Tomorrowland-Obvious
Adventureland-Intriguing to the 1 millionth power...

Magic_kingdom_map.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
The spot I know for sure in Adventureland is indeed sort of behind Pirates.

The other, which I didn't know about (but that a well informed gentleman on another board has spoken of) is supposedly behind Main St. in the Jungle Cruise area. Kinda doubtful of that one...

CaptainMichael

Lee said:
The spot I know for sure in Adventureland is indeed sort of behind Pirates.

The other, which I didn't know about (but that a well informed gentleman on another board has spoken of) is supposedly behind Main St. in the Jungle Cruise area. Kinda doubtful of that one...
I know the map that I posted above isn't exactly accurate, but it seems to me that something would have to change in the Jungle Cruise for a sidestreet expansion to be built to get to the new attraction, and it would be hard for guests to find said situation. The other option would be to go between Pirates and Splash but then you aren't in Adventureland and you take away the access road. Adventureland seems like a tricky place to expand. I'd rank it behind Liberty Square as the most difficult land to expand.

Satellite image for anyone interested:
http://www.disneypix.com/Multimedia/MagicKingdom_Half.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah, Adventureland is tough, but it can be done.
It would require a "Disneyland Indy" style queue long enough to get past the Pirates show buildings and railroad tracks to reach the wooded areas south-ish of Pirates.
The "behind Main St. area"....I don't see any way it could ever work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom