Toontown expansion into the Speedway Area

CaptainMichael

Lee said:
Yeah, Adventureland is tough, but it can be done.
It would require a "Disneyland Indy" style queue long enough to get past the Pirates show buildings and railroad tracks to reach the wooded areas south-ish of Pirates.
The "behind Main St. area"....I don't see any way it could ever work.
I say they just demolish some Jungle Cruise...seems easier:lookaroun

LilRoo714

The space between Main Street and the Jungle Cruise holds most of the Main Street vehicles. The trolley and stuff are back there and it's used as a parking area for trailers and equipment behind the Crystal Palace and Main Street when they have stage events that are set up at the entrance of the park (the area with the flag poles). To expand back there they'd have to move a lot of the backstage area of Jungle Cruise (where they work on and store extra animatronics). Also the offices above guest relations are accessible from back there. It would be a lot of backstage changes to occur! :veryconfu

frankd1962

mktt.jpg
Sorry about the size of the picture but I figured we could see it it better. Got this off Google Earth so that explains the 20K still being there but beyond the Toontown station there is nothing but woods. I think it would be a good place the Villians home. Build a pathway over the tracks and make it slightly "spooky" to lead in there. As for attraction in there, Pete is one who should get a place and some minor places for some of the major villians.

netenyahoo

The parade goes backstage behing pirates and the Magic Music Days stuff and float storage is back behind Splash. I can Magic Music stuff being moved, but the parade stuff would be a little more difficult. I guess the queue could go under the parade route and railroad. It would be more in back of the Jungle Cruise than behind Pirates if I am thinking right. The queue would need to be like Indy and be between Pirates and Jungle Cruise probably. I know there is gate there to go backstage. We got to use it when I was with a Magic Music Days group. It was neat to look through the fence / brush to see the Jungle Cruise.

Original19

Okay.... a few quick points/questions:

Lee said:
Yes the rumors had merit.... it's still a proposal....only just sitting there getting dusty at the moment.

That's really a shame. A sinister peak (kinda like Chernabog's mountain) would not only fit well into Fantasyland but Disney could really use something to compete with Universal's Halloween thing that they do. Having a "Villian Village" and letting the classic Villians roam the park after dark would be so cool! ...and there is PLENTY of room to work with back there:
poohsplayfulspot_small.jpg

However...

Lee said:
MK is looking at getting an E-ticket quite soon...

Don't you think Animal Kingdom (and poor Joe Rohde) should finally get Beastly Kingdom before anymore lands are added to Magic Kingdom? (By far the most popular park) Last time I checked Animal Kingdom was the least favorite of the four. I think it makes the most sense to give people more of a reason to visit the park(s) that have the poorest attendance.

... my 2¢

tirian

Regarding the 20K site, I've been told that an E-ticket was once seriously considered--almost getting a green light--for this area but later abandoned. I frankly don't know whether or not this was the villain mountain concept, but I do know that a computer-rendered test exist of Cinderella castle with a mountain behind it. (Keep in mind that WDI renders possibilities all the time to iron out concepts, so don't get too excited about this!) Another "almost built" attraction was Fire Mountain (do a search for this here on WDW Magic), a "Reign of Fire"-themed coaster that would have been built in Adventureland. When the movie tanked, the blue-sky concept for this ride died, too.

That's really a shame. A sinister peak (kinda like Chernabog's mountain) would not only fit well into Fantasyland but Disney could really use something to compete with Universal's Halloween thing that they do. Having a "Villian Village" and letting the classic Villians roam the park after dark would be so cool! ...and there is PLENTY of room to work with back there:

As of now, WDI is avoiding any events similar to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. The most common mantra is that groups of rowdy teenagers destroy theme parks--look at Tomorrowland during Grad Nights--and don't contribute to a family atmosphere. The closest thing to HHN is a blue-sky concept for a Nightmare Before Christmas event at the Studios, which wouldn't be nearly as terrifying or attract the same crowd base as Universal's HHNs. I haven't heard anything about the NBC nights in a while; perhaps they're waiting to see how this October's 3-D release fares before committing to the event.

hammysammy59

Original19 said:
Don't you think Animal Kingdom (and poor Joe Rohde) should finally get Beastly Kingdom before anymore lands are added to Magic Kingdom?

SERIOUSLY! MK is easily the biggest powerhouse of the four parks, and AK really needs a boost. Is money the only/major reason why Beastly Kingdom can't get off the ground, or are there logistical problems as well?

I just feel like since BK wouldn't require live animals it'd be:

A. Easier to maintain
B. Be an area of the park that could stay open later
C. Allow imagineers TONS of freedom and room for creativity
D. Really cool :)

I'm all for Villainland (maybe they'll put my Kingdom Hearts ride there :lookaroun) but I feel like AK is in the most dire need of a pump up.

Lee

Adventurer
hammysammy59 said:
...but I feel like AK is in the most dire need of a pump up.

Not since Everest opened. Since then attendance has been pretty much right where they want it at AK.
MK hasn't had an E-ticket since Splash, and apparently the "powers that be" think it's time.

comics101

Lee said:
Not since Everest opened. Since then attendance has been pretty much right where they want it at AK.
MK hasn't had an E-ticket since Splash, and apparently the "powers that be" think it's time.

I agree that MK could use something more, but what about DMGM? Even with Midway Mania, I still say it could use more.

kachow

I'm for anything that could replace the Indy track. I personally don't think it's a great attraction, but it also isn't even the attraction Walt originally wanted. It's been dumbed down over the years due to safety requirements, to the point that it's just really lame. I know people still go on it, but I'm not sure people would really miss it if it were gone like some of the true icons like the mountains or alot of the rides in Fantasyland. I hope they at least modify it to incorporate Cars theming, because right now it just feels like a ride without a country. It doesn't fit tomorrowland, fantasyland, or toon town as it stands right now.

PhilharMagician

Lee said:

Now isn't it amazing that it has been that long since MK got an E-ticket and still remains #1 most attended theme park in North america. I am almost afraid of how the attendance would be if a major E-ticket was added.

nyy102

I think that MK attendance would need to at least slightly drop before it gets an E-ticket (not saying that it won't get one, thats just my opinion). As far as removing the Indy cars goes though, I want to keep them, as they are a big hit with little kids who cannot drive, and also because it does get a substantial line. I am all for letting people wait for the cars, keeping waits for attractions even just a little bit shorter. The park that, imo, still needs more is AK, even with EE. Maybe its just because there is so much more room there that it still feels empty to me, or maybe its just because the Beastly Kingdom seriously needs to be built. Next I would say that MGM needs another E-ticket, especially since I just can't imagine Midway Mania being this instant Disney classic. As for Epcot, I don't think it needs an E-ticket, just repairs and rehabs for what it does have.

CaptainMichael

Well, here's the thing about an e-ticket in MK. Attendance is great now, etc, but e-tickets such as mountains take about 3 years to build. Disney would be planning ahead by greenlighting one for MK. A new MK classic keeps the attendance going strong, or increases attendance substantially 4-5 years from now when it opens.

Original19

hammysammy59 said:
AK really needs a boost. Is money the only/major reason why Beastly Kingdom can't get off the ground, or are there logistical problems as well?

One of the largest issues was when Islands of Adventure opened "Dueling Dragons".

Beastly Kingdom's center piece was to have been a dragon coaster situated around a castle. Between the time of the original concept sketches and now many Imagineers have been fired and/or laid off; and a few of those Imagineers had worked closely on the Beastly Kingdom project (see where I'm going with this?). To make a long story short Universal hired some of these people and put up an inverted dragon coaster with a queue line through a castle first. This left Disney with a problem: how could they now build a dragon coaster/castle ride? It would look like they were copying Universal.

As I understand it Eisner put Beastly Kingdom on Red Light because of that and funding.

Anybody want to back me up on that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom