Too much money and not worth it..

Shouldigo12

I've put a lot of work on this trip so we can have the best time as a family, and it all came down to 3 FPs to the rides we wanted to ensure the shortest lines possible, and not the FPS everyone wants. I had a total of 11 ADRs and ended up keeping 3 for unique experiences that we can't have anywhere else (BOG, CRT, and Tusker House), and I added tons of breaks to chill so we can go to lounges, ice cream shops and galleries. In by 9 am and out by 5 pm every day. Also, the schedule is now 3 park days and 2 hotel days even though I had bought park hopper/multiple days tickets.

It is not sad, it is just a reality that WDW is not for everyone and the definition of happiness varies. When I joined this forum back in March I thought I was going to do EVERYTHING, now that I'm close to the trip, scaling down is what it will work for us. My kids still don't care about MK and Disney movies, even when I hype them up. They are looking forward to the Epcot pavilions and the animals at Animal Kingdom.
Sorry, I know it's not for everyone. I just know how much work you put into it and it'll be unfortunate if you get there and realize it really wasn't worth it. Basically I'm emotionally invested in your trip at this point haha. Honestly though, it sounds like your new plan will be a much better time anyway. Vacations are for relaxing, after all, so putting in plenty of times for breaks sounds like a good idea.
Anyway, I hope you have a good trip, and if you don't I hope you're able to make it to Hershey's park and buy all the chocolate you can eat to make up for it! ;)

Lilofan

I've put a lot of work on this trip so we can have the best time as a family, and it all came down to 3 FPs to the rides we wanted to ensure the shortest lines possible, and not the FPS everyone wants. I had a total of 11 ADRs and ended up keeping 3 for unique experiences that we can't have anywhere else (BOG, CRT, and Tusker House), and I added tons of breaks to chill so we can go to lounges, ice cream shops and galleries. In by 9 am and out by 5 pm every day. Also, the schedule is now 3 park days and 2 hotel days even though I had bought park hopper/multiple days tickets.

It is not sad, it is just a reality that WDW is not for everyone and the definition of happiness varies. When I joined this forum back in March I thought I was going to do EVERYTHING, now that I'm close to the trip, scaling down is what it will work for us. My kids still don't care about MK and Disney movies, even when I hype them up. They are looking forward to the Epcot pavilions and the animals at Animal Kingdom.
Epcot Food and Wine on Sat and Sun is a zoo with tourists and locals drinking lots of booze and having a great time. But if that is your thing.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Kudos, Disney Death marches are unpleasant for everyone involved... rush rush rush and no time to stop, smell the flowers, and enjoy.

crawale

Very unpopular opinion I know.

I have been to the park several times growing up, and twice as an adult. This past trip was my first time experiencing it as a family.

We stayed at a resort, planned fast passes, rode on all the rides we wanted to. Everyone told us the food was overpriced, but we were still utterly shocked. It's offensive that Disney charges what they do for low quality subpar food. We navigated the trip with a budget in mind. Skipped the frivolous (obnoxiously prices add ons) like the princess makeup makeover, park hopper option, mickeys halloween parade, souvenirs. Our total before flights was $1700- 5 nights at a resort and 3 days in the park, not including food. I understand that may be cheap compared to what others spend...

The "buy buy buy" mentality is so in your face. And people everywhere fall into the traps. My jaw dropped when people buzz around these gift stores, spending ungodly amounts of cash on Disney merchandise. And for what?! Also, some people love the customer service...I honestly just felt bad for the workers. It was a forced happy, and the stuff they have to deal with is crazy. I came across some of the rudest, most entitled people in the park. When a family would bump into others and say "I'm so sorry" or tell their kids "be aware of your surroundings!" it was so refreshing.. but rare.

And don't get me wrong- I love Disney movies, music etc. Its total nostalgia for me. But I found it too overstimulating and a lot of work, as did our oldest.
Hitting the pause button on Disney for a very long time!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Also, do you go every year or mix in trips to other places? And how much do you spend on average (all in)? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
Took the grandkids 2 years ago and spent over $75 on a totally inedible lunch at Yak and the Yeti Food truck. However we did splurge on the character meals which were worth it if only for the joy they caused to the 7,6 and 2 year old faces. Disney still has magic but with the ever increasing prices it is fading. However the saddest thing I see now is the faces bent to their devices - oblivious to their surroundings. Could probably leave these type kids - and adults - in the hotel room clicking away.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Took the grandkids 2 years ago and spent over $75 on a totally inedible lunch at Yak and the Yeti Food truck. However we did splurge on the character meals which were worth it if only for the joy they caused to the 7,6 and 2 year old faces. Disney still has magic but with the ever increasing prices it is fading. However the saddest thing I see now is the faces bent to their devices - oblivious to their surroundings. Could probably leave these type kids - and adults - in the hotel room clicking away.

Those poor people are just trying desperately to get more FastPasses. :hilarious::joyfull:

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
I like the 'buy culture' term, I might use it. My trip is in 36 days, and I have a feeling that my trip report would be similar to yours.

I hope you guys enjoy it. Just being aware of it before going helps I think! I'm generally weird about stuff like that. I don't care for expensive handbags or jewelry, don't like to go shopping. I've been called an alien once or twice ha.

It's good you are lowering your expectations to do everything. That will be huge- you will be thankful for whatever you guys are able to do. how old are your kids? I think a big part of our problem was ours being so young.

mdcpr

Sorry, I know it's not for everyone. I just know how much work you put into it and it'll be unfortunate if you get there and realize it really wasn't worth it. Basically I'm emotionally invested in your trip at this point haha. Honestly though, it sounds like your new plan will be a much better time anyway. Vacations are for relaxing, after all, so putting in plenty of times for breaks sounds like a good idea.
Anyway, I hope you have a good trip, and if you don't I hope you're able to make it to Hershey's park and buy all the chocolate you can eat to make up for it! ;)
It will be worth it because at least the children can't say 'our mother never took us to Disney!' :) But I get it. I will probably provide a very honest trip report afterwards.

mdcpr

Epcot Food and Wine on Sat and Sun is a zoo with tourists and locals drinking lots of booze and having a great time. But if that is your thing.
Epcot is not just about the drinking. Some of the pavilions have beautiful galleries that a lot of people never get to see. And the architecture is fascinating if you have been to the real thing. It's not just about the booze--and btw, I don't drink.

mdcpr

I hope you guys enjoy it. Just being aware of it before going helps I think! I'm generally weird about stuff like that. I don't care for expensive handbags or jewelry, don't like to go shopping. I've been called an alien once or twice ha.

It's good you are lowering your expectations to do everything. That will be huge- you will be thankful for whatever you guys are able to do. how old are your kids? I think a big part of our problem was ours being so young.
My kids are 9 and 12--which is true, makes it easier. And neither of them ask for much, even though we have the means to provide it. I'm actually telling my kids they get $100 each to spend on anything they want, and that's their limit.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I hate to break this to you but most hospitality and service industry employees everywhere are doing what you call forced happy. And the crazy? Pretty much everywhere. You think that front desk agent at the Ritz-Carlton is really naturally that cheerful? That the waiter at the local Italian restaurant is always chipper and upbeat? Me, I can turn it off and on like that after so many years of working in both.

Can confirm! I spent years working front desk in a large national park. I really did love my job and helping out guests but the "excellent guest service" version of me is not an accurate representation of my normal self. Not to mention the days that you leave the desk for a minute to get your emotions in check after being yelled at multiple times only to come right back and be happy with the next guest.

We told our employees each year that working hospitality really does require a bit of acting to be truly good at it.

Lilofan

Epcot is not just about the drinking. Some of the pavilions have beautiful galleries that a lot of people never get to see. And the architecture is fascinating if you have been to the real thing. It's not just about the booze--and btw, I don't drink.
Then you are a rare breed to enjoy Epcot during food and wine. Whatever toots your horn, Mickey will take all our monies.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
My kids are 9 and 12--which is true, makes it easier. And neither of them ask for much, even though we have the means to provide it. I'm actually telling my kids they get $100 each to spend on anything they want, and that's their limit.

Oh you guys will be fine I'm sure. Setting a limit is smart- they will have fun picking things out!

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Can confirm! I spent years working front desk in a large national park. I really did love my job and helping out guests but the "excellent guest service" version of me is not an accurate representation of my normal self. Not to mention the days that you leave the desk for a minute to get your emotions in check after being yelled at multiple times only to come right back and be happy with the next guest.

We told our employees each year that working hospitality really does require a bit of acting to be truly good at it.
Oh I know. I worked in retail. It definitely gives you a different perspective on the general population. And it also leads you to be more empathetic with the service industry.

TXDisney

WDW is expensive there's no question about that. And honestly if you're not a theme park, Disney lover... you will think its a waste of money. But it is a place you tend to enjoy the more you go (I know more money). You figure out the best times to go, book in advance to get all the dining, fp's you want. To make your trip better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom