Too much money and not worth it..

unmitigated disaster

Also, some people love the customer service...I honestly just felt bad for the workers. It was a forced happy, and the stuff they have to deal with is crazy.
I hate to break this to you but most hospitality and service industry employees everywhere are doing what you call forced happy. And the crazy? Pretty much everywhere. You think that front desk agent at the Ritz-Carlton is really naturally that cheerful? That the waiter at the local Italian restaurant is always chipper and upbeat? Me, I can turn it off and on like that after so many years of working in both.

SD449

I'm just back from our 4th Visit after a gap of 5 years.

I was shocked at how much everything had increased, Uni for same tickets were 50% more!!

For 3 Adults (1x 10yr "Adult") and 1x Child it cost us circa £2,000 for 5 nights on iDrive, 2 Days No P2P at Uni, 2 Days Midday Magic No P2P and MNSSHP which I thought was utterly insane and certainly not value for money in any sense of the phrase.

Don't get me wrong we had a great time but it was so exhausting to the point we didn't stay to watch RoL or Galactic Spectacular even though we hadn't seen them before.

Lilofan

I hate to break this to you but most hospitality and service industry employees everywhere are doing what you call forced happy. And the crazy? Pretty much everywhere. You think that front desk agent at the Ritz-Carlton is really naturally that cheerful? That the waiter at the local Italian restaurant is always chipper and upbeat? Me, I can turn it off and on like that after so many years of working in both.
Know some people in the industry. They love going to happy hour after work to let loose after a stressful day dealing with guests.

DisneyPan

I was an entertainment CM from '99-'05 splitting between WDW & DL. After that, I vowed never to pay for Disney again (using my friends to sign me in)... Then I ended up getting an AP for years. I thought I would never be disloyal to the place that brought so much happiness to me as a former CM and as a guest for decades (I'm an 80's kid).... However, it's not the same anymore. I agree the Iger era has swung the cost benefit ratio out of line. It doesn't provide me the same feelings/experience I used to have. I was going just to go and I wasn't getting anything out it.
That said I let my AP expire, I haven't been in a couple of years, and to be honest I don't miss it. I still listen to park music, talk about the "old days," but I don't miss the crowds, waiting in line for the same attractions I've been on 500 times. And now with the exorbitant price increases, I don't see the value...
Now, that doesn't mean I'm never going back. I didn't turn my back on Disney. I have too many years and memories invested. All I'm doing is taking a break until Disney changes their management. This year has been rough for Disney (opinions may vary). Between the Skyliner accident, bad PR, low crowds and the SWGE lackluster debut, it's been a wake up call. I'm not excited these things happened, but I feel the C suites needed this - take a breath, slow down and listen. I don't want Disney to fail or have bad publicity - I want them to listen, take risks, and have imagination. Customer demand is a whole different story...
So long story short - I actually feel free, and I'm doing other exciting things. I support your decision.

NickMaio

9o
I went last month and had breakfast at "Be Our Guest". It consisted of two poached eggs on a croissant, two small pastries and tea. We had to get our own drinks and even had to go to the opposite side of the room for eating utensils. $30.00 each for the meal. It tasted OK, but not 30 bucks ok! I'd say it is drastically overpriced though. I wanted to try the place (once) very well themed, but since I had already paid $100 to get into the park, it didn't exactly thrill my taste buds. Once will be enough.
Honestly, I don't know why a non character meet spot is do expensive. The theming and food are ok.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
We’re not exactly novices either.

And I think that's what Disney preys on. Orlando proper (well let's say the I-Drive corridor and surrounding areas) have really stepped up in the way of food, drink, and entertainment. It's a lot different from the "Redneck Riviera" that it was, say, 15 years ago. Sadly, Disney has forced me to explore off property more. Obviously price is a factor, but it is value and quality that really drive that decision. That being said, it's opened my eyes a bit to other things. So there is a silver lining.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
FTFY. The bread makes the po-boy. Anything else and it's just a hoagy/grinder/sub.

Baguette. It is the "French Quarter" after all. But then again, the architecture there does have a lot of Spain in it. I'm just glad it's available before 10pm . But then again, if it were the Spanish, it would come with a very, very, very large glass of wine (like a Big Gulp). So, I'm kind'a torn.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

Disney prices most definitely have gotten out of control. We buy less and less stuff at the parks with each trip; so much so that we got a couple of T-shirts and a bubble wand on the last trip and that's it. With the upcoming trip I suspect we'll be buying even less. Food is a bit of a... Requirement, but we'll be keeping that in check too. We used to do a couple of ADRs per day; we're down to one and will likely cut some here and there. Then there's the cost of entry. I resorted to buying 14-day Ultimate Tickets from the UK when even Underground Tourist and the like were too much. Between the cost breakdown for our ten day trip and the (then) excellent exchange rate, it was a no-brainer.

I suspect it will be quite a few years before we go again - certainly not before all the construction dies down.

Patcheslee

On the food prices it may just be me being use to our local park, but they seem in line with what I'm use to seeing. Is it high priced for what we're getting? Yes. At the same time a burger and fries at Kings Island without the drink is $13.49, another $3.99 for a soda. Seems more theme park prices in general are high unfortunately.

Sonconato

Very unpopular opinion I know.

I have been to the park several times growing up, and twice as an adult. This past trip was my first time experiencing it as a family.

We stayed at a resort, planned fast passes, rode on all the rides we wanted to. Everyone told us the food was overpriced, but we were still utterly shocked. It's offensive that Disney charges what they do for low quality subpar food. We navigated the trip with a budget in mind. Skipped the frivolous (obnoxiously prices add ons) like the princess makeup makeover, park hopper option, mickeys halloween parade, souvenirs. Our total before flights was $1700- 5 nights at a resort and 3 days in the park, not including food. I understand that may be cheap compared to what others spend...

The "buy buy buy" mentality is so in your face. And people everywhere fall into the traps. My jaw dropped when people buzz around these gift stores, spending ungodly amounts of cash on Disney merchandise. And for what?! Also, some people love the customer service...I honestly just felt bad for the workers. It was a forced happy, and the stuff they have to deal with is crazy. I came across some of the rudest, most entitled people in the park. When a family would bump into others and say "I'm so sorry" or tell their kids "be aware of your surroundings!" it was so refreshing.. but rare.

And don't get me wrong- I love Disney movies, music etc. Its total nostalgia for me. But I found it too overstimulating and a lot of work, as did our oldest.
Hitting the pause button on Disney for a very long time!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Also, do you go every year or mix in trips to other places? And how much do you spend on average (all in)? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
As someone who has been going to the parks for 45 years, these are the same thoughts I've been having. I have seen the good and the bad. It seems that the mentality these days is to cut as much as possible, and that can get on your nerves. The Disney experience is so scheduled these days, I can't tell you how many times I have heard parents yelling at their kids to go to the bathroom so that they can get to their reservations and fastpasses. I'll tell you it's become a bad environment to be in.

Goofyernmost

Disney prices most definitely have gotten out of control. We buy less and less stuff at the parks with each trip; so much so that we got a couple of T-shirts and a bubble wand on the last trip and that's it. With the upcoming trip I suspect we'll be buying even less. Food is a bit of a... Requirement, but we'll be keeping that in check too. We used to do a couple of ADRs per day; we're down to one and will likely cut some here and there. Then there's the cost of entry. I resorted to buying 14-day Ultimate Tickets from the UK when even Underground Tourist and the like were too much. Between the cost breakdown for our ten day trip and the (then) excellent exchange rate, it was a no-brainer.

I suspect it will be quite a few years before we go again - certainly not before all the construction dies down.
I've never been much for souvenirs but I do buy T-shirts that I wear everyday since my retirement. I spent an hour and a half in World of Disney on my last trip, wandering around, waiting for my sister to show up and found nothing at all that interested me much less made me willing to spend that much money for it. Since I do stay offsite (on I-drive this time) I wandered off to 192 to my favorite gift shop and bought one Disney T and one Orlando T and that was that. More a clothing purchase then a souvenir. Sort of a multi-tasker. On Disney property that same Disney T was $28.00, in the gift shop $14. Walmart and Targets in Orlando and Kissimmee all carry them. Real official Disney T's.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Very unpopular opinion I know.

I have been to the park several times growing up, and twice as an adult. This past trip was my first time experiencing it as a family.

We stayed at a resort, planned fast passes, rode on all the rides we wanted to. Everyone told us the food was overpriced, but we were still utterly shocked. It's offensive that Disney charges what they do for low quality subpar food. We navigated the trip with a budget in mind. Skipped the frivolous (obnoxiously prices add ons) like the princess makeup makeover, park hopper option, mickeys halloween parade, souvenirs. Our total before flights was $1700- 5 nights at a resort and 3 days in the park, not including food. I understand that may be cheap compared to what others spend...

The "buy buy buy" mentality is so in your face. And people everywhere fall into the traps. My jaw dropped when people buzz around these gift stores, spending ungodly amounts of cash on Disney merchandise. And for what?! Also, some people love the customer service...I honestly just felt bad for the workers. It was a forced happy, and the stuff they have to deal with is crazy. I came across some of the rudest, most entitled people in the park. When a family would bump into others and say "I'm so sorry" or tell their kids "be aware of your surroundings!" it was so refreshing.. but rare.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Also, do you go every year or mix in trips to other places? And how much do you spend on average (all in)? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

We change up. Now we are dvc so it makes going a bit easier, we no longer do 10 days.
This year we did Greece. We also love the beach. My budget is very general, we do like deluxe accomodations and sit down so that lends a bit to the price tag. I budget about 1000-3000 per person depending on the location.

The buy buy buy mentality never bothers me, I mean the entire economy is based on consumerism and I remember my first trip, lol we brought so much junk. I think that's pretty normal.

Last, I find the internet is my friend. Prices haven't shocked me because by the time I get to the world I've looked up the food prices.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

There's some great food at Disney, but it's mainly at table service restaurants. The meal I had at Flying Fish was one of the better meals I've had anywhere (and yes, I'm pretty well traveled so it's not like I'm comparing it to Chili's). I've also had some excellent brisket at Polite Pig in Disney Springs, and the Boma breakfast buffet is fantastic. Be Our Guest, on the other hand, is incredibly overpriced and you're essentially just paying for the theming -- which is good, but not as good as I was expecting. I don't plan on ever eating there again.

Personally, I don't think the food prices are that bad. They're more or less in line with what I regularly pay for meals where I live (Atlanta) -- the quick service is slightly more expensive, but not significantly so (for the better items... some of the stuff like chicken fingers are definitely overpriced at Disney).

I think if you live places like Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Chicago, Houston, etc. the prices don't seem as bad as they do to people living in smaller cities like Greensboro or Rochester, and I'm sure it gets even worse as the population decreases.

HongKongFu

what food did you eat? Because WDW has lots of awesome food, more than any other theme park. Generally I find when people complain about the quality of the food, I also learn that they were eating the typical fast food fare,

Exactly..........was it Pecos Bill or Cali Grill or food carts selling popcorn. Again, without specifics this entire post is meaningless.

Much-Pixie-Dust

To the OP, sorry your trip didn’t meet your expectations. That’s always a bummer, regardless of where you or how much you spend.

Up until this year, my family of 3 has gone twice a year for the last decade. We travel to other destinations too. Travel is important to us and is a line item on our budget. We didn’t go to Disney this year bc life circumstances have changed. My kiddo started high school this. Along with it came a higher tuition (private, not public), sports schedule, and more rigid schedule. My parent has cancer and lives several hundreds of miles from me. So right now, all of my travel goes to visit him.

Disney is expensive, but I am finding all the others places I travel to be going up in price too. We average about $5-6,000 on a Disney trip, including airfare and everything else. Sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less. Trips range from 5-14 days, but budget doesn’t change that much (however what we do changes). We always rent a car, eat at both parks and off property, and aren’t into a lot of souvenirs. We also go to Target and load up on breakfast food, snacks and supplies. We value accommodations and experiences. Some of those experiences include up charged events. We love Wild Africa Trek and have done it several times. We liked having a private fireworks cruise at Epcot. I pay for the “clamshell” at TL because I love to watch the wave pool and I don’t want to have to search for a place to sit.

My family loves Disney and we do find value in it. We like our park days and the ones where we explore the resort and lounge at pool. We enjoy Disney and find value in going there because we make great memories. I hope your family made some great memories on your trip, despite its shortcomings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom