Tony's....The Good.The Bad.The Ugly.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
It is always good to hear from other Disney lovers but never go fully on reviews. I had the corral reef once with hearing only bad reviews mainly but was a good meal.
Totally agree..Everyone to their own when it comes to restaurants & people's love & hates....I remember before my first visit in 2004.I read so many poor reviews on Planet Hollywood at downtown, I thought,no way can it be that bad..:(:(:(... I remember walking out and looking at the Terminator in the glass display and saying " Hasta La Vista Baby..I won't be back."

Bparso87

I've always thought that the Coral Reef detractors were just a vocal minority. It's probably the same for Tony's, actually. Obviously the place isn't universally hated, or it would have been shuttered a long time ago.
I agree with you. I believe that free dining has some what to do with this. If you have free dining you r mostly likely to look past something's. but if you are paying out of pocket u look at it differently I believe. I ate at tony's on free dining it was ok. But when I payed out of pocket I looked at it different.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I've always thought that the Coral Reef detractors were just a vocal minority. It's probably the same for Tony's, actually. Obviously the place isn't universally hated, or it would have been shuttered a long time ago.
Also agree with what you say..I think that if someone orders a cheeseburger that ain't that tasty,it's not a big deal.But when your spending $100 + it's got to be at least average..

Shere_Khan

It is always good to hear from other Disney lovers but never go fully on reviews. I had the corral reef once with hearing only bad reviews mainly but was a good meal.
Agreed! I've enjoyed quite a few restaurants that others have said were absolutely terrible. I'm glad to say that I've never had a terrible experience while dining at WDW.
We are not food snobs or connoisseurs by any means so I think we are fairly easy to please. It would have to be, like others have said, cold uncooked, etc for us to really make a big complaint.

Sweet Melissa

I agree with you. I believe that free dining has some what to do with this. If you have free dining you r mostly likely to look past something's. but if you are paying out of pocket u look at it differently I believe. I ate at tony's on free dining it was ok. But when I payed out of pocket I looked at it different.
That could definitely have an effect on some. I couldn't compare because I've never used any dining plan — free or not. I still don't think I'm as hard on some places as others are, though!

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Very interesting view @Bparso87..Have you got Scottish blood in you..? LOL.;)

Shere_Khan

Totally agree on this too. Like I said we are easy to please and when it's free even if its not our favorite we will shrug and say, "oh well it was free!" There are several restaurants at WDW we've eaten at for free that we enjoyed, however at home we would never pay upwards of $100 for place like that. So I think you are spot on!

Bparso87

Totally agree on this too. Like I said we are easy to please and when it's free even if its not our favorite we will shrug and say, "oh well it was free!" There are several restaurants at WDW we've eaten at for free that we enjoyed, however at home we would never pay upwards of $100 for place like that. So I think you are spot on!
I know there has been a lot of dinning plan threads and I am one that likes it. I buy it just to have my food paid for but being a DVC member can not get it free. Disney can hike up the prices on the menu for free dining and ppl say look at this deal I got. Then they get people to come back like me lol. Free dining was what got me to go to the world the first time. Now I hate it. My first two visits had free dining not a bad meal. Now since I pay I see more bad meals.

Shere_Khan

I know there has been a lot of dinning plan threads and I am one that likes it. I buy it just to have my food paid for but being a DVC member can not get it free. Disney can hike up the prices on the menu for free dining and ppl say look at this deal I got. Then they get people to come back like me lol. Free dining was what got me to go to the world the first time. Now I hate it. My first two visits had free dining not a bad meal. Now since I pay I see more bad meals.
If we didn't get it free we would probably buy the plan. Yes I know you can eat cheaper then the plan but it does feel nice to not worry about money as much during your stay. Kind of like an all inclusive type trip.
I agree that the promotion probably brings down the quality though.

We usually do book during the free dining though so it does work to bring people in.

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
We've had lunch there twice. The good - the desserts. I had an espresso cheesecake that was stunningly good. Our service both times was also excellent. Extremely friendly and attentive servers both times. The bad - the entrees. In all honesty they could make the entrees 100 times better just by bringing in a corporate partner like Macaroni Grill to run things. The Ugly - none that we've experienced.

Maelstrom Troll

I'm with you on Coral Reef. We had an excellent meal there, the only detractor was having to wait for our table despite our reservations. Via Napoli is quite good, especially the prosciutto and melon pizza. Tony's I'm very hesitant to try. The tremendous amount of bad reviews coupled with a spoiled palate for Italian food makes me hesitant to spend the money on it.

Bparso87

If we didn't get it free we would probably buy the plan. Yes I know you can eat cheaper then the plan but it does feel nice to not worry about money as much during your stay. Kind of like an all inclusive type trip.
I agree that the promotion probably brings down the quality though.

We usually do book during the free dining though so it does work to bring people in.
Yea I feel the same way I buy because I stress out at every meal trying to save money. I like to be stress free when I am at Disney so prepaid food helps. I also order stuff that I might not order at home because it is prepaid. I know when I got free dining I got the most expensive thing most of the time.

Sweet Melissa

I'm with you on Coral Reef. We had an excellent meal there, the only detractor was having to wait for our table despite our reservations. Via Napoli is quite good, especially the prosciutto and melon pizza. Tony's I'm very hesitant to try. The tremendous amount of bad reviews coupled with a spoiled palate for Italian food makes me hesitant to spend the money on it.

That spoiled palate is the real crux of the issue. I suffer from the same.

agorna

i went to Tony's in jan. 2012... we had reservations and were celebrating a birthday. we got in right at our reservation time and our table was in the corner I'm the back of the restaurant... it was decorated for the occasion which was nice but what wasn't nice was the fact that we weren't approached by our server for literally ten mins. once our server finally got to our table, he wouldn't make eye contact with us, or even really talk.. never told us the specials or anything... our food came out cold and bland.. and we never saw the served again.. our glasses were empty before we were even done with our appetizers and never were able to get anyone's attention for a refill... it was the worst experience dinning at Disney ever.. will never go back

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Only ate at Tony's once and we enjoyed our meal. We both got the chicken parm and it was well breaded and crispy and had a good amount of sauce. The best was a lemon walnut cake for dessert, I hope they still have that. I'm normally a chocoholic but for some reason I ordered this and I wish they had brought the whole pan it was that good. Hubby got the ice cream bomb and he wasn't that thrilled with it, nothing bad but nothing outstanding with it either.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Now I've never dined at Tony's at MK. The main reason for this is the reviews.Few are good,lots are bad,and some are ugly..From poor service to lukewarm food,it seems a bit of a hit & miss..Interested from yourself's what your experience was like at Tony's...??? o_O

We have been twice. So that is a good sign right! :) I wouldn't say it is the best place in the word but it is not terrible. And as for service, nothing but friendly and made our time special!! The first time we went was it was the only ADR we could get during MVMCP. This was in 2006. And we were celebrating our anniversary that trip so we tied in the whole lady in the tramp theme and I got the spaghetti. I mean, I make better spaghetti but this wasn't bad! And for dessert, they put a nice decal on the plate and sprinkled our table with Christmas confetti and hearts and gave us a lady and the tramp little card for our anniversary! Since we had a good experience, when we had the deluxe dining plan in June of 2009, we were leaving that day and had breakfast at CRT and had one more TS credit to use for lunch and since we were late to the party with ADR's, we went there b/c we could walk right in. Again, good food, great service. But you have noticed a trend with how we got there. We don't go in to the dining experiences saying "WOW! We MUST eat there!" Rather, its a good stand by and plan B. But they are not as terrible, in my opinion, as some have said it is.

By the way, great point in your question. We stay away from things for the same reason and end up having the same experiences - like our trip is on repeat. I am stuck between giving up a place I love for trying something new. So I am working on trying some that have mixed reviews.

MouseDreaming

Our family has always loved Tony's. Only thing I wouldn't order there is the steak. DS and I love the chicken Parm. DH always raves about the salmon. I think DD was able to get Mickey ravioli on our last trip. Always tried to line up our ressie with Spectro, so we would have a great seat as it went by. We did not go back this year. For one, we wanted to try a new place. And two, with Spectro gone, I couldn't stomach watching MSEP float by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom