Tony Baxter hints at the future!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I looked at Manta via YouTube vids/reviews and I gotta say it does look pretty amazing. I don't know if it would have worked for a Disney park. It would certainly bring people in, but we'd probably be arguing about whether it was themed enough. :lol: Still, I say SeaWorld did a great job (the aquarium queue looks nice!) on this coaster. :)

I can guarantee to you if they built Manta in it's current form at AK there would be one heck of a lot of criticism from fans. We would never hear the end of "off the shelf", "bare steel coaster", "no story", "not fitting the theme", and "belongs in 6 Flags".

Disney are held to a very high standard, and quite rightly so. Never mind how good of a coaster it is (and let's face it, all B&M latest and greatest are good) I just find it funny that people are OK with a bare steel coaster in Sea World, but it would be a whole nother story if that were at AK.

EPCOT Explorer

I can guarantee to you if they built Manta in it's current form at AK there would be one heck of a lot of criticism from fans. We would never hear the end of "off the shelf", "bare steel coaster", "no story", "not fitting the theme", and "belongs in 6 Flags".

Disney are held to a very high standard, and quite rightly so. Never mind how good of a coaster it is (and let's face it, all B&M latest and greatest are good) I just find it funny that people are OK with a bare steel coaster in Sea World, but it would be a whole nother story if that were at AK.
:lol::lol:

Can you blame us? Disney has conditioned us for immersiveness... I wonder if they could slap Manta in a building?:lookaroun

dxwwf3

That's true as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Of course, I am one who finds coasters to be works of art and don't mind seeing them not hidden inside a building.

Yep I understand that, and I know fans of real coasters like to see the track. But there is absolutely no way that something like that could go into AK in that bare state. It would absolutely destroy everything that has been done with theming in that park. Thousands of feet of bare steel and concrete just doesn't mesh with 4 million trees and moutains.
The same is happening at Universal. Their sightline across the parks horizons has been totally wrecked by their new coaster. The Studios theme is out the window there.

I understand that these parks see coasters as a low cost way to provide a massive Eticket, but I for one am glad that Disney dont do that, and instead do things in the style of RnR and Everest.

whylightbulb

That would be pretty darn cool...Im mentioning this because if it was a trackless EMV or something to that nature...it wouldnt have any restraints, it would just be in its own control. Which can be kindof freaky...but extremely cool at the same time. It does seem pretty unrealistic, but cool to imagine!
I was on the original R&D team for Indy at WDI. The cool thing is we originally mocked up the ride system as an AGV-based prototype. Funny story about one of the first proof of concepts. Lucas, Eisner and Wells were there and looking forward to riding it. We had it set up at the Te Hunga building all programmed and ready for a spin. They boarded the car and we started it up. It was going along well in its figure 8 pattern for a while until the vehicle's guidance receiver went out. The E stop bus is supposed to activate in that situation but it didn't. The vehicle left its safe path and started heading toward a wall at full speed. We were frantically trying to figure out how to stop it before we killed all three of them. Thankfully two of our guys were close enough to the path that they were able to run with the car and reach over to the E Stop button.

To make a long story a bit shorter, the car stopped ubruptly and their reaction was like 3 teenagers that just got off an exhilerating thrill ride. They loved it and bought off on it for further development. They had no idea that they were about to be seriously injured. That was the day we decided not to go with the wireless system for that attraction. :D

marsrunner

I'll take Manta's themeing over EE and RnRC (or California Screamin' at DCA...now there's a bare coaster) any day of the week. Over Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror? No way. Granted those last two aren't coasters, but they are E-tickets, so I think the comparison holds.

marsrunner

I was on the original R&D team for Indy at WDI. The cool thing is we originally mocked up the ride system as an AGV-based prototype. Funny story about one of the first proof of concepts. Lucas, Eisner and Wells were there and looking forward to riding it. We had it set up at the Te Hunga building all programmed and ready for a spin. They boarded the car and we started it up. It was going along well in its figure 8 pattern for a while until the vehicle's guidance receiver went out. The E stop bus is supposed to activate in that situation but it didn't. The vehicle left its safe path and started heading toward a wall at full speed. We were frantically trying to figure out how to stop it before we killed all three of them. Thankfully two of our guys were close enough to the path that they were able to run with the car and reach over to the E Stop button.

To make a long story a bit shorter, the car stopped ubruptly and their reaction was like 3 teenagers that just got off an exhilerating thrill ride. They loved it and bought off on it for further development. They had no idea that they were about to be seriously injured. That was the day we decided not to go with the wireless system for that attraction. :D

That is hilarious and a little frightening! Those are some high paid guinea pigs! :ROFLOL:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

LOL great story - thanks for sharing! :)

Captain Chaos

Yep, competition is good and keeps entertainment-based businesses on their toes. I don't understand why some Disney fans want Universal and Busch parks to fail—imagine if Hollywood only had one studio churning out movies. Creativity would plummet.

When Vince McMahon bought out his only competiton, WCW, the WWE died out... Hollywood as no creativity anymore anyway, hence all these remakes of old movies, not so old movies, and 80's TV shows....

Competition is good... Let's hope Universal will awaken the beast..

EPCOT Explorer

:eek::ROFLOL:

That is frightening AND hysterical! Sheesh!

The_CEO

people are OK with a bare steel coaster in Sea World, but it would be a whole nother story if that were at AK.

What can you safely add to the coaster that would make it Disney standards? They have the coaster immersed with aquariums and a "touchdown" area after the MCB. I just don't see anyway it could of been delivered better by Disney.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What can you safely add to the coaster that would make it Disney standards? They have the coaster immersed with aquariums and a "touchdown" area after the MCB. I just don't see anyway it could of been delivered better by Disney.

There's an aquarium in the queue building, but that doesnt do anyting to hide the fact that you have bare exposed steel coaster tracks across the park and into the skyline. You simply could not do that in Animal Kingdom and preserve the current theme of the park. Sea World does not approach AKs level of theming, so it isnt an issue for them. People are happy to have a good new coaster, and that's what they have got.

For Manta to be in AK it would have to be mostly enclosed, eg. Everest. You'll notice looking at Everest as a whole that you cant see any unthemed bare coaster track or supports. Looking at Manta you see everything. The aquarium doesnt change that. With your example, all Disney needed to do with Everest was to build a yeti museum, and then forget the mountain, because the yeti museum immerses it.

EPCOT Explorer

There's an aquarium in the queue building, but that doesnt do anyting to hide the fact that you have bare exposed steel coaster tracks across the park and into the skyline. You simply could not do that in Animal Kingdom and preserve the current theme of the park. Sea World does not approach AKs level of theming, so it isnt an issue for them. People are happy to have a good new coaster, and that's what they have got.

For Manta to be in AK it would have to be mostly enclosed, eg. Everest. You'll notice looking at Everest as a whole that you cant see any unthemed bare coaster track or supports. Looking at Manta you see everything. The aquarium doesnt change that. With your example, all Disney needed to do with Everest was to build a yeti museum, and then forget the mountain, because the yeti museum immerses it.
I wonder if they could build underground.:lookaroun That would save them from having to to a mountain.

Captain Chaos

Wasn't the so-called Rain forest Coaster that was part of this Project Gemini, a steel coaster, outdoors, in Epcot?

I can actually see a steel coaster fitting in DAK, with this rain forest theme.. of course, the track can be painted green to blend in with the trees that Disney can plant to build a rain forest... That should be the new land in AK actually.. RAINFORESTS OF SOUTH AMERICA!!! The coaster can be outdoors, and travel through the whole land... Just a stupid though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom