Tony Baxter hints at the future!

Lee

Adventurer
999Ghosts said:
For Tony Baxter fans there is a indy made DVD called Haunted Mansion Walk Through W/ Tony Baxter. It's very cool!! And yes he is "GREATNESS"

And I could get this where? :slurp:

In my not so humble opinion, they should put Tony in creative control of Disneyland, the same way Joe Rohde has Animal Kingdom. Nobody would do a better job.

MiklCraw4d

Lee said:
Yeah...Tony is pretty much the man.
If only they'd let him do his Discovery Bay..... :brick:

Amen to that. I don't see how they can possibly put it off forever... it's a concept that is so well known and beloved I'm amazed they haven't built it yet...

Lee

Adventurer
MiklCraw4d said:
Amen to that. I don't see how they can possibly put it off forever... it's a concept that is so well known and beloved I'm amazed they haven't built it yet...

Apparently they're content to just cannibalize bits of it for other parks. At this point, I doubt we'll ever see it.
It's a shame too....I saw Tony give a presentation on it, complete with concept art and a sample of the "Discovery Bay Chronicles" TV show.

Sad...that and Tomorrowland 2055, two of the best ideas to come out of WDI, shelved forever. :brick:

999Ghosts

Lee said:

Tahu is right. I did not know if it was ok or not to give their web site but that is it!! I have about 30 of their DVD's. I have no idea how they get what they do or why Disney has not stopped them. But their stuff is cool and very rare. Like for an example one of the DVD's i have is a 2 DVD set from 1976 training the cast members from how to put on the characters suit to how to act.. Check them out.

Lee

Adventurer
For some reason I had forgotten about that site.
I just bopped over there and bought a couple DVDs...thanks for the heads up. :D

jrriddle

Original Poster
Lee said:
Apparently they're content to just cannibalize bits of it for other parks. At this point, I doubt we'll ever see it.
It's a shame too....I saw Tony give a presentation on it, complete with concept art and a sample of the "Discovery Bay Chronicles" TV show.

Sad...that and Tomorrowland 2055, two of the best ideas to come out of WDI, shelved forever. :brick:

NO WAY! You are one lucky person Lee!
Can you give us (me :D ) an idea of what the Discovery Bay Chronicles would have been like? I've often wondered about that.
Also did you see what the Magnetic Spiral was like? I've never seen any concept art for it.

I would also add Sotto's SciFi-City for TDL as a project I would have really wanted to see come to light.

Lee

Adventurer
jrriddle said:
Can you give us (me :D ) an idea of what the Discovery Bay Chronicles would have been like? I've often wondered about that.
Also did you see what the Magnetic Spiral was like? I've never seen any concept art for it.

The Discovery Bay Chronicles was to be the means of setting up the story of Discovery Bay for guests before they came to the park. It would have been a series of episodes on the Wonderful World of Disney show, with each episode telling the story of one of the attractions in the area.

The bit that I saw was one that was worked on by Tony B., Tom Sherman, and others. It told the story of how Jason Chandler made his fortune (gold), and decided to set up a haven for visionaries and scientists on the California coast. Chandler described meeting the Ned character from 20K Leagues, who sold him the dingy from the Nautilus, and told Chandler where to find the sunken sub. Chandler went and got it, and I believe got Nemo too, and brought it to Discovery Bay. Great shot of the Nautilus surfacing in the bay.

The clip was only 7-8 minutes long, but looked great.

The "Magnetic Spiral", which was present in some incarnations of Discovery Bay, is sort of a mystery to me. I have not seen any art or heard a very detailed description.

Wbnemo1

not bad Lee,
I know the other gentleman that helped on DBC. He made the Nautilus with Tom as a matter of fact. His name was Rich Allsmiller, he has been the resident expert on all things Nautilus, since Tom Scherman and Harper Goff passed. It was Rich and Myself that built the patterns for the 50th Anniversary Nautilus, sold through Disney. This same boat was debuted at an expo last year ..ohh, and just a tiny FYI... the Nautilus that hangs in "One Mans' Dream" at Disney MGM Studios, is the actual Nautilus that was filmed for Discoverybay Cronicles......
Now I'm curious, where did you see this presentation by Tony on Discovery Bay . Was it at our "Imagineering the Nautilus Expo" last year?. This was a tribute to The late Tom scherman Harper Goff as well as Discovery Bay. Tony gave a nice speech about both Tom and Discovery Bay...again I totally concur, Tony Baxter is a great man and a fantastic Imagineer.

William

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Dreams come true

In my not so humble opinion, they should put Tony in creative control of Disneyland, the same way Joe Rohde has Animal Kingdom. Nobody would do a better job.

Agreed. Guess what? Tony IS and has been in creative control of Disneyland for some time. That's the good news. There is no one I can think of that would be better for that position. The bad news is, given the $$$$$ that is going toward DCA, there is not much in the way of budget for him to do the things we know he is capable of. Having said that, Tony and the show group down there are very resourceful at getting budget from maintenance and using it to improve the show and he will fight to get new things done like Lincoln, etc.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed. Guess what? Tony IS and has been in creative control of Disneyland for some time. That's the good news. There is no one I can think of that would be better for that position. The bad news is, given the $$$$$ that is going toward DCA, there is not much in the way of budget for him to do the things we know he is capable of. Having said that, Tony and the show group down there are very resourceful at getting budget from maintenance and using it to improve the show and he will fight to get new things done like Lincoln, etc.
Who is on control of WDW Creative?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom