Tomorrowland's Future

Figments Friend

Same here.
By the time i finally made it out West to visit Disneyland, their PeopleMover was already defunct.

I adore the WEDWay at Walt Disney World...relaxing and interesting the way it sweeps around Tomorrowland.
Gives you a great overview of the land, takes you into Space Mountain for a little peek, pass by interesting scenes, and you even get a glance of a portion of Walt's old model for Progress City / Early EPCOT Center!

I have watched a few terrific videotaped ride throughs of Disneyland's PeopleMover from years ago, and also right before they closed to be converted over to the Rocket Rods.
Heck, I have even watched video of the Rods in action just to see what the alternative was at that time.
The PM though...wow...what a amazing view you had coasting along!

It looked to be far more scenic and had a lot more offered to experience along the way.
I know videos do a very poor job of capturing the real feeling and atmosphere of a Attraction, but dang...I could easily see the PM at Disneyland blew WDWs 'simpler' experience out of the water.

All the Attractions you passed through coupled with the scenery...plus the overall kinetic energy.
Man, that is one of my big 'theme park' regrets....missing that because it took me so long to get out West.
So wish I could have experienced it myself firsthand.
I'm a big fan of the WEDWay still, and thankful it is still operating in Florida.
But what I would do for a quick ride on those upper tracks at Disneyland back in the day.....

-

Rich T

I wish I would have gotten a chance to ride Disneyland's Peoplemover, never made it to Disneyland until 2013. I enjoy the one at the Magic Kingdom quite a bit.
It was great in its prime (it went up and down slopes, unlike the level WDW course), but here's a reality many have forgotten: At the time of its closure, the Peoplemover was in really bad shape. The ride experience kept getting clunkier and rougher, and it broke down frequently, requiring long, drawn-out evacs. There was one point on the track, where it dipped down within Autopia, where the vehicles always made this startling, jolting KA-BANG noise and shook like they'd been struck. It needed a complete overhaul, but instead Disney decided to replace it with something more thrilling. And we all know how that turned out. :(

Last edited:

Rich T

They went up?? And then down?? on slopes? On the same ride? Wow! :rolleyes:
No need for sarcasm and eye rolling. The variations in elevation were part of the fun, and were one of the major differences between the rides. I didn't mean that as a slam against Magic Kingdom's version, which has the great advantage of, y'know, still existing. Okay, yeah, the way I worded it was pretty goofy. :D

Californian Elitist

No need for sarcasm and eye rolling. The variations in elevation were part of the fun, and were one of the major differences between the rides. I didn't mean that as a slam against Magic Kingdom's version, which has the great advantage of, y'know, still existing. Okay, yeah, the way I worded it was pretty goofy. :D

The way you worded it was fine.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think I prefer WDW's Space Mountain. The more I've done DL's, the more let down I am, and not because of the Star Wars overlay. What's cool about WDW's is the unpredictable nature of the ride and the two tracks. DL's is always the same and it's mostly just gliding around in circles, which is kinda boring. WDW's is more chaotic, plus it has spacemen on the lift hill. I'm not sold on the attempt to add music, but the sound effects are actually pretty cool, like when you go through the helix at the end. Not to mention WDW's awesome queue tunnels, despite the video games they added and the awesomeness of going through on the Peoplemover. I know everyone gushes over DL's because it was redone in the noughties, it's smooth, it has on-board music and you aren't seated single file. But I think WDW's gets a bad rap. This has almost nothing to do with anything, I'm just saying.

D

Deleted member 107043

@Endor Sightseer The Matterhorn is a good substitute for WDW Space Mountain fans who are frequent DLR visitors. The last time I was at WDW I was struck by how similar the rides are with their parallel track layouts, in tandem seating, and crisscrossing trackways. One advantage that DL has over the MK is that with the Matterhorn Bobsleds it fundamentally has both versions of Space Mountain, though the Matterhorn is a completely different experience storywise, of course.

NobodyElse

I think I prefer WDW's Space Mountain. The more I've done DL's, the more let down I am, and not because of the Star Wars overlay. What's cool about WDW's is the unpredictable nature of the ride and the two tracks. DL's is always the same and it's mostly just gliding around in circles, which is kinda boring. WDW's is more chaotic, plus it has spacemen on the lift hill. I'm not sold on the attempt to add music, but the sound effects are actually pretty cool, like when you go through the helix at the end. Not to mention WDW's awesome queue tunnels, despite the video games they added and the awesomeness of going through on the Peoplemover. I know everyone gushes over DL's because it was redone in the noughties, it's smooth, it has on-board music and you aren't seated single file. But I think WDW's gets a bad rap. This has almost nothing to do with anything, I'm just saying.

That's cool. I'm glad they're different. It gives people an opportunity to prefer one over the other if they so choose.

PS: I agree with Hans, that DL has it good having both Space Mountain and the Matterhorn in one park. We're spoiled. :)

Rich T

I think I prefer WDW's Space Mountain. The more I've done DL's, the more let down I am, and not because of the Star Wars overlay. What's cool about WDW's is the unpredictable nature of the ride and the two tracks. DL's is always the same and it's mostly just gliding around in circles, which is kinda boring...it's smooth, it has on-board music and you aren't seated single file. But I think WDW's gets a bad rap. This has almost nothing to do with anything, I'm just saying.
For me, the rebuild made DL's perfect. It's SO dark in there now that the intended effect finally works. I do like the smoothness, and the new music gives it a lighthearted, upbeat mood. I personally love the crazy onslaught of right turns in the final third-- it just keeps getting more intense, and it's got that wonderful drop mixed in. I love WDW's too, for the same reasons you mentioned, but DL's my fave.

Phroobar

DL was nearly perfect after the 50th rebuild. Then they seemed to turn off most of the projections. There were a lot of asteroids flying by that you just don't see anymore. For the most part all you see is the initial lift hill projection followed by disco ball. Were did the space cookie go? I wish they would have figured out a way to light the asteroid at the top of the lift hill.

Figments Friend

I have been going to WDW since 1979, and I'm ashamed to say I have yet to have experienced there version of 'Space Mountain' to date.
Over all those years, I was either too young or then too 'chicken' to try a coaster in the dark.

I just recently, as of around this time last year, got over my fear of it and tried Disneyland's version.
I 'conquered' the Matterhorn, and of course have loved 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' for years, but could never bring myself to try 'Space'.
When I finally did it at Disneyland, it was a grand day.
Absolutely loved it!

I have yet to have been back to WDW since, but whenever I do eventually in the future I look forward to trying 'the Original'.
That wIll likely be a good day, too....

-

rle4lunch

Autopia's gas fumes and the smoke pit/area stank always gives me one hell of a headache. Keep autopia, replace the cars with FUTURISTIC looking cars with perhaps, um, a futuristic motor system instead of Honda lawnmower engines. Put something innovative in innoventions for a change, don't revisit the 'connected home of tomorrow'....

I know it's gotta be harder than it was back in the 70's and 80's to keep a futuristic vibe going on with Tomorrowland though. With the pace of technology outpacing our everyday lives in general, Disney would have to incorporate truly conceptual designs that speak to perhaps what we'll have in 50 years, not 6 months from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom