Tomorrowland's Future

Californian Elitist

And might I add what I think is the kicker - it does not provide much to the park atmosphere in the way that the ROA does to justify its existence.

I completely disagree. The monorail, Matterhorn, and even the Subs contribute to Autopia's kinetics.

I agree that the current Autopia should go, but not the attraction as a whole. It just needs to be updated.

mickEblu

I completely disagree. The monorail, Matterhorn, and even the Subs contribute to Autopia's kinetics.

I agree that the current Autopia should go, but not the attraction as a whole. It just needs to be updated.

Did you mean that they contribute to Tomorrowlands kinetics? Cuz I was talking about the atmosphere that Autopia and its surrounding area provide the park/ Tomorrowland and you re talking about what the attractions around Autopia add to the Autopia experience.

Anyhow, speaking of Kinetics, I think something like light cycles flying by overhead would provide much more kinetic energy. Especially at night. Not to mention feel much more like something we should be seeing in TOMORROW land.

I'd be all for an Autopia update if it was more than just some new paint and electric cars. I would want to see an elevated highway in the sky, self driving cars changing lanes and lots of bright lights and colors.

It seems like a double standard for someone like you, who is adamant about theming to give Autopia a pass. I know that you at least admit it needs an update to make any sense in Tomorrowland but i never hear you demanding that Disney update this attraction so that it fits in thematically with TL with the same passion I hear you condemning other theming issues around the parks.

Im guessing that you figure that TL is a mess anyway so why not keep this classic around especially if Nemo and Buzz get a pass. I'm also guessing you have a lack of faith in TDA to replace it with something worthwhile.

Anyway, I only bring this up because you are always so quick to defend Autopia but IMO it doesn't really match up with your beliefs/ ideals.

Sometimes we give things a pass because of nostalgia and many other reasons. I'm guilty of it too from time to time.

Last edited:

mickEblu

There's enough room for 2 new lands. Just to be self-indulgent, I'm gonna say Zootopia and Kingdom Hearts. :D

Meh ( and I say that word at my own risk) I don't want single IP lands to be the new norm. But I wouldn't mind a Zootopia attraction. (A new one of course not like a Splash Mountain overlay or anything like that)

How many acres does Autopia take up anyway? I remember reading that it takea up something like 20% of DLs real estate (pre SWL). That can't be accurate can it? I could maybe buy 10%.

Last edited:

Rich T

How many acres does Autopia take up anyway? I remember reading that it takea up something like 20% of DLs real estate (pre SWL). That can't be accurate can it? I could maybe buy 10%.
Looking at Google Earth, it sure looks like 20% to me. Granted, part of that doubles as Submarine show building, but still... all that for a low capacity miniature car ride???

Californian Elitist

Did you mean that they contribute to Tomorrowlands kinetics? Cuz I was talking about the atmosphere that Autopia and its surrounding area provide the park/ Tomorrowland and you re talking about what the attractions around Autopia add to the Autopia experience.

Anyhow, speaking of Kinetics, I think something like light cycles flying by overhead would provide much more kinetic energy. Especially at night. Not to mention feel much more like something we should be seeing in TOMORROW land.

I'd be all for an Autopia update if it was more than just some new paint and electric cars. I would want to see an elevated highway in the sky, self driving cars changing lanes and lots of bright lights and colors.

It seems like a double standard for someone like you, who is adamant about theming to give Autopia a pass. I know that you at least admit it needs an update to make any sense in Tomorrowland but i never hear you demanding that Disney update this attraction so that it fits in thematically with TL with the same passion I hear you condemning other theming issues around the parks.

Im guessing that you figure that TL is a mess anyway so why not keep this classic around especially if Nemo and Buzz get a pass. I'm also guessing you have a lack of faith in TDA to replace it with something worthwhile.

Anyway, I only bring this up because you are always so quick to defend Autopia but IMO it doesn't really match up with your beliefs/ ideals.

Sometimes we give things a pass because of nostalgia and many other reasons. I'm guilty of it too from time to time.

I'm not giving anything a pass. I've said Autopia needs to be updated MULTIPLE times. I've also said Tomorrowland is my least favorite land and Disney needs to stop being lazy and stick with the theme.

Not sure what you're talking about. I've been a member here for four years now... Seems you just haven't seen my posts.

mickEblu

Too late.

Not exactly, it's a trend but I woudlnt say it's the norm... Yet. Look at all the lands at Shanghai Disneyland, aside from "Pirates" land. I just don't wanna go to a Disneyland that one day consists Zootopia land, Frozen land, Pirates land, Star Wars land and Indiana Jones land. It's a little too limiting for my taste.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'm not giving anything a pass. I've said Autopia needs to be updated MULTIPLE times. I've also said Tomorrowland is my least favorite land and Disney needs to stop being lazy and stick with the theme.

Not sure what you're talking about. I've been a member here for four years now... Seems you just haven't seen my posts.

I've only been here about 2 years so I may have missed some of those posts but let's be honest you have a soft spot for Autopia. That's ok.

On another note I saw you agree with a post that has me scratching my head. So you think that Autopia ( as it currently stands ) is better suited for tomorrowland than Space Mountain? It's just hard for me to follow your logic.

Californian Elitist

I've only been here about 2 years so I may have missed some of those posts but let's be honest you have a soft spot for Autopia. That's ok.

On another note I saw you agree with a post that has me scratching my head. So you think that Autopia ( as it currently stands ) is better suited for tomorrowland than Space Mountain? It's just hard for me to follow your logic.

Yeah, I do have a soft spot. I enjoy that ride and it deserves to be updated.

Again, I've said again and again and again that Autopia needs to be updated. I'm NOT okay with how it is now. Autopia should stay, BUT it should be updated. And yes, if it is ever updated, Autopia will be closer to Tomorrowland's original concept than Space Mountain (depending on how it is updated). Speaking of Space Mountain, I never expressed disdain for that ride. Buzz, Nemo, Star Tours, yes. Space? Nope.

mickEblu

Looking at Google Earth, it sure looks like 20% to me. Granted, part of that doubles as Submarine show building, but still... all that for a low capacity miniature car ride???

If it's 20% that's crazy. In a landlocked park like DL and with the increasing crowds I can't imagine Autopia survives another decade in its current form. Even if they turned that space into one gigantic people eating E ticket that would be a Win. Of course that comes with issues which are the real reason Autopia has manged to survive. The monorail would have to be rerouted for a big show building and the subs are also in the way. I wonder if it would be possible to build a new E ticket in that space without losing the lagoon.

mickEblu

Yeah, I do have a soft spot. I enjoy that ride and it deserves to be updated.

Again, I've said again and again and again that Autopia needs to be updated. I'm NOT okay with how it is now. Autopia should stay, BUT it should be updated. And yes, if it is ever updated, Autopia will be closer to Tomorrowland's original concept than Space Mountain (depending on how it is updated). Speaking of Space Mountain, I never expressed disdain for that ride. Buzz, Nemo, Star Tours, yes. Space? Nope.

Fair enough.

However, I saw you agree with a comment saying nuke everything but the lagoon and Autopia. Wouldn't you say in their current form that Space Mountain is leaps ahead of Autopia as far as belonging in Tomorrowland?

Californian Elitist

Fair enough.

However, I saw you agree with a comment saying nuke everything but the lagoon and Autopia. Wouldn't you say in their current form that Space Mountain is leaps ahead of Autopia as far as belonging in Tomorrowland?

Leaps ahead? No, not really. The first time man went to space was in 1961, over 50 years ago lol. If anything it's running neck and neck with Autopia in terms of how futuristic it is...it isn't.

Do Space and Autopia have potential to become futuristic? Yes, absolutely. All of Tomorrowland does. Disney just needs to take the opportunity.

mickEblu

Leaps ahead? No, not really. The first time man went to space was in 1961, over 50 years ago lol. If anything it's running neck and neck with Autopia in terms of how futuristic it is...it isn't.

Do Space and Autopia have potential to become futuristic? Yes, absolutely. All of Tomorrowland does. Disney just needs to take the opportunity.

Man may have went to space but you and I never will. That's the difference between Autopia and Space Mountain to me. One of them I get the displeasure of doing everyday in LA traffic.

Old Mouseketeer

If it's 20% that's crazy. In a landlocked park like DL and with the increasing crowds I can't imagine Autopia survives another decade in its current form. Even if they turned that space into one gigantic people eating E ticket that would be a Win. Of course that comes with issues which are the real reason Autopia has manged to survive. The monorail would have to be rerouted for a big show building and the subs are also in the way. I wonder if it would be possible to build a new E ticket in that space without losing the lagoon.

A large water feature would be good. But the subs are dead within two years (unless they come up with a third Nemo film).

mickEblu

A large water feature would be good. But the subs are dead within two years (unless they come up with a third Nemo film).

Really ? Is that your opinion or do you have some inside info? I wouldn't mind losing Nemo but I would hate to lose the lagoon. With that said the lagoon without the kinetic energy just isn't the same.

Old Mouseketeer

Really ? Is that your opinion or do you have some inside info? I wouldn't mind losing Nemo but I would hate to lose the lagoon. With that said the lagoon without the kinetic energy just isn't the same.

Facts previously reported around the blogosphere/intertubes. The subs have the biggest cost-to-capacity deficit at the resort. We're talking "dead subs walking" here. They killed them off in Florida (the humidity/mold factor helped). They take up an unbelievable chunk of real estate and the only way to get rid of autopia and peoplemover track is to kill the subs. The original subs were part of my childhood. I can remember resting my chin on the air nozzle and feeling it get numb. I tried to figure out if we were really going down. Unfortunately, they are unsustainable.

We need new adventures for new generations. The kids in my family have enjoyed Nemo, but they don't want to go back because they think it's not worth the line. Tomorrowland needs a lot of love. I hope it gets some.

mickEblu

Facts previously reported around the blogosphere/intertubes. The subs have the biggest cost-to-capacity deficit at the resort. We're talking "dead subs walking" here. They killed them off in Florida (the humidity/mold factor helped). They take up an unbelievable chunk of real estate and the only way to get rid of autopia and peoplemover track is to kill the subs. The original subs were part of my childhood. I can remember resting my chin on the air nozzle and feeling it get numb. I tried to figure out if we were really going down. Unfortunately, they are unsustainable.

We need new adventures for new generations. The kids in my family have enjoyed Nemo, but they don't want to go back because they think it's not worth the line. Tomorrowland needs a lot of love. I hope it gets some.

Lol @ dead subs walking

Yeah I remember reading those Micechat rumors. I guess they probably kept Nemo around for the 60th and Finding Dory being released but you re probably right. It's day are numbered. And just for that reason im going to make it a point to ride Nemo the next time in the park. I haven't been on it in 5 years and I've had an AP the last 2.5 years.

On the flip side, Nemo is a huge IP for Disney right? I would think they would want it represented somewhere other than Turtle Talk with Crush.

Anyway if the subs / Autopia are removed it's kind of fun to think of what Can be done with all that real estate. We re taking what? 15 acres?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom