Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover closing for a near two month refurbishment

Crazydisneyfanluke

It's already been explained, but I'll explain it again. The PeopleMover at Disneyland closed in 1995, and a thrill ride called the Rocket Rods (one of my favorite rides as a child...it was almost like riding an outdoor version of Space Mountain) replaced the attraction in 1998. These were the times when Disneyland was in shambles and run by poor management. As already stated, the turns weren't banked, and the ride had to slow down first whenever a turn came. Another problem was the tracks. The tracks weren't made for a fast ride, and Rocket Rods destroyed them, pretty much. Rocket Rods closed in 2000 for a "refurb", and it never came back. Now the tracks just sit there.

PeopleMover:

10_1_71_PeopleMover.jpg

Rocket Rods:

large_RODS-.jpg

Here's the sign, reading it would be back in 2001:

rocketrods6.jpg

The rocket on top of the "stage" is a remnant of the old Rocket Jets, when they used to sit up top and not on the ground:

rocketjets_1.jpg

The video reminded me of test track. It would be nice if the re purposed the track back to a people mover.

Sped2424

It certainly needs it. Saw it break down three times on Sunday with one of the breakdowns requiring a full evac. Missed being a part of the evac by 5 min :( lol. Later it reopened yet again and I noticed a section where it would normally be fast suddenly slow down and the cars behind would ram into the next set. Then they would suddenly pickup speed. So besides cleaning and general refurbishment, I really hope there is a decent mechanical overhaul as well!
The ride shut down during my ride through of space mountain causing the lights to go on in the people mover tunnels meaning space mountain was dimly lit, which was awesome.

rct247

In May and June, Rocket Tower Plaza should be surrounded by work walls for heavy work done to the building structure. Much of it will be almost completly stripped down and redone. Astro Orbiter and The Lunching Pad will be closed too. TTA will not get anything changed for its ride system, track, or show scenes. it will get cleaned and some new paint. Astro will be completely dismantled with redone floor, elevators, and ride system updated. Spinning planets will be coming back. There will also be improved lighting around the building.

G8rchamps

My wife and I swap our son/daughter between Space and Peoplemover since she won't ride Space. 7 trips over the weekend and no stops!

aladdin2007

In May and June, Rocket Tower Plaza should be surrounded by work walls for heavy work done to the building structure. Much of it will be almost completly stripped down and redone. Astro Orbiter and The Lunching Pad will be closed too. TTA will not get anything changed for its ride system, track, or show scenes. it will get cleaned and some new paint. Astro will be completely dismantled with redone floor, elevators, and ride system updated. Spinning planets will be coming back. There will also be improved lighting around the building.

Thanks for the update

rct247

My friends in Tomorrowland tell me COP is still in the works for this fall, but don't expect much except what we have seen with past refurbishments in the last year. Minor paint, cleaning, carpet, and seating. They may also make some minor changes for cast members and the ride system. It's a shame COP isn't getting more love this year. It celebrates 50 years this Spring, and yes in many aspects, it is falling apart. I watched it the other day and father in every scene was painful to watch not to mention one of the scenes in the first act did not even turn.

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

What really needs to happen on this dusting of the attraction is cleaning and fixing the outside of SM... We went in December and so much is dirty/rusted/crumbling on the outside.. It was rather sad and totally preventable!

EDIT: Why couldn't they add LED lighting to the outside of SM to plus it and make it look cool at night. There are so many effects they could do with LED.

Yert3

Why couldn't they add LED lighting to the outside of SM to plus it and make it look cool at night. There are so many effects they could do with LED.
Disneyland does a light show on Space Mountain during Halloween. It's not a regular thing, but it is similar to what you are talking about. It would be really cool to make something like this a regular thing at both parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom