Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover closing for a near two month refurbishment

janoimagine

What is that?
Disneyland's People Mover ... or rather what is left of it. It was changed from that into Rocket Rods, which failed miserably because I believe they cheaped out and didn't bank the corners, so the ride suffered all kinds of problems, capacity, mechanical failures ... I believe they lasted less than 2 years. It is a shame because Disneylands version had canopies and a great stretch of track ... Now its just concrete beams running over the lagoons and along the monorail.

Californian Elitist

It's already been explained, but I'll explain it again. The PeopleMover at Disneyland closed in 1995, and a thrill ride called the Rocket Rods (one of my favorite rides as a child...it was almost like riding an outdoor version of Space Mountain) replaced the attraction in 1998. These were the times when Disneyland was in shambles and run by poor management. As already stated, the turns weren't banked, and the ride had to slow down first whenever a turn came. Another problem was the tracks. The tracks weren't made for a fast ride, and Rocket Rods destroyed them, pretty much. Rocket Rods closed in 2000 for a "refurb", and it never came back. Now the tracks just sit there.

PeopleMover:

10_1_71_PeopleMover.jpg

Rocket Rods:

large_RODS-.jpg

Here's the sign, reading it would be back in 2001:

rocketrods6.jpg

The rocket on top of the "stage" is a remnant of the old Rocket Jets, when they used to sit up top and not on the ground:

rocketjets_1.jpg

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's already been explained, but I'll explain it again. The PeopleMover at Disneyland closed in 1995, and a thrill ride called the Rocket Rods (one of my favorite rides as a child...it was almost like riding an outdoor version of Space Mountain) replaced the attraction in 1998. These were the times when Disneyland was in shambles and run by poor management. As already stated, the turns weren't banked, and the ride had to slow down first whenever a turn came. Another problem was the tracks. The tracks weren't made for a fast ride, and Rocket Rods destroyed them, pretty much. Rocket Rods closed in 2000 for a "refurb", and it never came back. Now the tracks just sit there.

PeopleMover:

10_1_71_PeopleMover.jpg

Rocket Rods:

large_RODS-.jpg

rocketrods6.jpg

The rocket on top of the "stage" is a remnant of the old Rocket Jets, when they used to sit up top and not on the ground:

rocketjets_1.jpg

Thanks for posting that, Raven. I never thought to look for a video of the ride. Very cool. :)

I remember it being the peoplemover, I forgot how long the track was!

Rasvar

I don't expect much from this refurb. Probably just cleaning and replacing magnets. If we are lucky, maybe some kind of black light art or display inside Space Mountain since the covered load area blocks a lot now.

Rasvar

PeopleMover:

10_1_71_PeopleMover.jpg

Rocket Rods:

large_RODS-.jpg

rocketrods6.jpg

rocketjets_1.jpg

The rocket is gone. It's that weird kinetic art thing that sometimes moves.

Brian Swan

What is that?

They call it "The Observatron". It's what's left of the old Astro Orbitor (they built a new one on ground level at the entrance to TL). It's a "kinetic sculpture" that spins the same way the jets used to. Every 15 min or so all of the arms go up and the "thing" in the middle opens like a flower into an "antenna". It was all part of the doomed Rocket Rods (the "thrill" ride that replaced the people mover) rebuild. The "back story" behind this is that it was the device that served as the "communications hub" for the land and captures solar power. The Rocket Rods lasted all of a year or so (rode them once - lame), but this "thing" is still there. For the most part the upkeep at DL is better than MK, but DL's TL really needs some love. There were GREAT plans for it - until NextGen went so far over budget and all of the plans got put on indefinite hold.

Rasvar

The "weird kinetic art thing" actually is the old ride, if you look closely you can tell.

I prefer not to think about it. It is from a time in DL history I would like to forget. And I'm uncomfortably close to finding myself feeling that way about the current status of WDW parks. I'm just not really going to get excited about any upcoming refurbs until one actually surprises me. I just hope they vacuum the EPCOT display without damaging it. Very low expectations.

willtravel

I don't expect much from this refurb. Probably just cleaning and replacing magnets. If we are lucky, maybe some kind of black light art or display inside Space Mountain since the covered load area blocks a lot now.
I swear I don't understand why they just can't go over to Backlot Tours in DHS props area, get some props that would fit the theme of TTA, add a few props and led lighting and and presto a happy change....

aladdin2007

I prefer not to think about it. It is from a time in DL history I would like to forget. And I'm uncomfortably close to finding myself feeling that way about the current status of WDW parks. I'm just not really going to get excited about any upcoming refurbs until one actually surprises me. I just hope they vacuum the EPCOT display without damaging it. Very low expectations.

Actually they just did a clean up and refurb on that late last year. So that part is done.

COProgressFan

yeah it probably would lol, you know how precious their bonus is to the powers that be. Not only that, when it stopped the other day in one of the tunnels and the work lights came on, talk about filth! They need cleaning!!!

Most of the exterior portions of the ride track, and upper levels of the buildings that you pass (CoP, MILF, Stitch) are filthy as well.

Powerwashing once a month would go a long way.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Most of the exterior portions of the ride track, and upper levels of the buildings that you pass (CoP, MILF, Stitch) are filthy as well.

Powerwashing once a month would go a long way.

I mean, really. If you clean something once a month it won't fall into such disrepair as the current state of this ride. I bet you somewhere on the track someone has written "wash me" with a wet fingertip in the grossness.

When people exit the ride feeling like they need to take a shower, perhaps it's time to bring out the garden hose.

:geek:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I mean, really. If you clean something once a month it won't fall into such disrepair as the current state of this ride. I bet you somewhere on the track someone has written "wash me" with a wet fingertip in the grossness.

When people exit the ride feeling like they need to take a shower, perhaps it's time to bring out the garden hose.

:geek:

Not big enough 2" firehose ought to be sufficient...

wishiwere@wdw

UPDATE: From the rumblings I've heard, Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover will be down for around the same length of time, but during May and June. Astro Orbiter would be down from May to July.
Nothing confirmed, yet, but obviously, the Feb/March refurb for TTA really did get pushed back as it has not been closed this week.

It certainly needs it. Saw it break down three times on Sunday with one of the breakdowns requiring a full evac. Missed being a part of the evac by 5 min :( lol. Later it reopened yet again and I noticed a section where it would normally be fast suddenly slow down and the cars behind would ram into the next set. Then they would suddenly pickup speed. So besides cleaning and general refurbishment, I really hope there is a decent mechanical overhaul as well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom