Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover closing for a near two month refurbishment

tirian

You're so right that I have to cry a little over how far things have fallen. I don't think we're ever going back to the glory days of the late 80s to early 90s.

Given the current state of the parks, it's time to redefine our terms and lower our expectations:

Maintain - something they did decades ago to keep everything in top working order
Has now become...​
Sustain - ensure just enough is working to get folks through the attraction at a reasonable rate

Quality of show - is a park living up to the standards Walt would expect?
Has now become...​
Quality of profit - are $$ being generated at a sufficient rate?

Polish - maintain facilities in pristine condition
Has now become...​
Degrime - what can be done easily to make the place look less decrepit

Refurb - take an attraction down for an extended period to return it to pristine condition, often with many upgrades and surprises
Has now become...​
Defurb - take an attraction down for an extended period, sometimes to patch things to keep it from completely falling apart; but more often just to save operations costs

Attraction - open something so completely amazing that it will captivate audiences for years, polish it daily to keep it amazing, and then refurb on a regular schedule
Has now become...​
Profit center- open something so completely hyped that it will draw rubes to the parks and hotels for years, run it for a year or so to make it look like you tried, and then defurb it to save costs

omurice

It's a jab at CalOSHA - the California state OSHA branch.. which in the state of california DOES regulate amusement safety. Florida on the other hand.. does not
Exactly this - my visit to Disneyland last year, a handful of attractions were closed and it was thanks to CalOSHA!
Though most closures re-opened the week I was there (end of April, 2013), I believe Space Mtn stayed down my whole visit. So I was indeed making a (feeble) jab at CalOSHA, and it's said that DL PeopleMover cannot come back in part because it would need design changes for safety (apart from the cost of reversing back out RocketRods, making new ride system and vehicles, and giving it back a load area).

Seeing the DL PeopleMover track (RocketRods track to be fair) covered in leaves, dirt and some rust as the Monorail does its many loops over Tomorrowland... A very long ride track sitting there neglected is one of the saddest sights ever.
So I am glad we still have a PeopleMover out east - that is operational once this refurb is over.

It made me think - TTA, CoP and SM are the only pre-1995 things left in this land, though I know all have been tweaked since 1975.

JimboJones123

Given the current state of the parks, it's time to redefine our terms and lower our expectations:

Maintain - something they did decades ago to keep everything in top working order
Has now become...​
Sustain - ensure just enough is working to get folks through the attraction at a reasonable rate

Quality of show - is a park living up to the standards Walt would expect?
Has now become...​
Quality of profit - are $$ being generated at a sufficient rate?

Polish - maintain facilities in pristine condition
Has now become...​
Degrime - what can be done easily to make the place look less decrepit

Refurb - take an attraction down for an extended period to return it to pristine condition, often with many upgrades and surprises
Has now become...​
Defurb - take an attraction down for an extended period, sometimes to patch things to keep it from completely falling apart; but more often just to save operations costs

Attraction - open something so completely amazing that it will captivate audiences for years, polish it daily to keep it amazing, and then refurb on a regular schedule
Has now become...​
Profit center- open something so completely hyped that it will draw rubes to the parks and hotels for years, run it for a year or so to make it look like you tried, and then defurb it to save costs
Many folks working at Disney World should read this.

dolce20

I'm happy to hear that the refurb has been delayed for this ride! We are going down in early March and I was sad we weren't going to be able to ride. A nice surprise! Anyone know when it *will* be down and what updates they'll be doing?

Ariel1986

Is there confirmation of the Astro Orbiter refurbishment dates? I will cry if that is down along with the peoplemover in late May! :(

FrankLapidus

It's amazing how many people seem to love the PeopleMover (myself included). Perhaps that should push Disney to actually dust in there from time to time and keep the cars from crashing into one another? The latter is downright dangerous and negligent in my opinion.

I agree, its sound logic but not one that current management subscribes to unfortunately.

ToTBellHop

I agree, its sound logic but not one that current management subscribes to unfortunately.
The dust buildup can be explained away with cheapness. But the cars crashing? They are just asking for a lawsuit. And if someone stands up when the door opens for them to exit, and then the car crashes and they get hurt, it will certainly be Disney's fault. It's downright dumbfounding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom